Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 01:30 AM
Planar Protector

Paladins get the only lvl 50 epic in the game AND they want to hoarde SoulFire to themselves too.

I don't have words.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:37 AM
Kobold

If anything undo change to Ivandyr's Hoop. Its unclassic change and should be restored.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where is the line drawn if we cry loud enough for the staff to make a nonclassic change?
there can be a line that goes where some part of the classic immersion itself becomes an impediment to experiencing (cf. enjoying) era-defining content to a degree that compromises the purpose of recreating that content to begin with.

it depends whether you see p99's pursuit of mechanical classicness as a software development project or as a historical reenactment project. i'm not sure the devs are consistent on it, reenactment logic was used with Ivandyr's Hoop more or less while in other cases it seems to be pure software replication. that's prolly okay.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:54 AM
Fire Giant

p99, Selectively Classic ®
Old 10-23-2019, 03:00 AM
Planar Protector

can't believe this historical reenactment doesn't even make us grow our own food over the course of a real year with era accurate technology just because it would turn the whole thing into an exercise in historical farming, fucking posers
Old 10-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Sarnak

For the past 10 years, the line is where ever the staff wants it to be. Things don't have to be (and they can't be anyway) 100% the way it was. The staff wants the server to be as close to classic as possible, while also recapturing the classic FEEL. Sometimes, they have to choose between one or the other.

If I'm not mistaken, SoulFire wasn't changed until a bit after Luclin, so that's the main argument for it - it's classic.

The main argument against it is that there also wasn't everyone and their mother running around with or camping it on classic, like there was on Blue, and will be on Green. People weren't using it to trivialize content on classic. I'm not saying no one ever used it, but the amount of people who did during classic vs. the amount of people who did on Blue was incomparable and totally altered the classic feel and experience.

I don't think the staff will change it honestly, but I do think it's worth discussing and considering.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Boxing is classic. But boxing is banned for the health of the server. The devs intentionally made an un-classic rule because doing so was paradoxically the only way to maintain the classic feel of the server given the realities of P1999 having free accounts and the boxing of multiple toons being much easier with today's computers.

SoulFire being clickable by all classes is also classic. But that should be changed for the same reason boxing is banned: because it's the only way to preserve the classic feel of the raiding environment. The reality is that the vast, overwhelming majority of classic raids had no one using a SoulFire. But on P1999 it's standard raid gear. There is simply no way to unscramble the egg that is SoulFire, the same way that there is no way to make the game feel classic if every other player is boxing. In both cases the only choice to preserve the classic feel is to eliminate the option entirely. Failure to do so results in a much less classic environment like we have now on Blue, where every remotely serious raider is carrying around 5 instacast CHs in their pocket.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
can't believe this historical reenactment doesn't even make us grow our own food over the course of a real year with era accurate technology just because it would turn the whole thing into an exercise in historical farming, fucking posers
I buy vintage hotpockets off of ebay

and crystal pepsi

limited soulfire to paladin only
Old 10-23-2019, 12:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I wasn't aware of this exploit - (I think its appropriate to call it an exploit). But now that it seems common knowledge I don't think I will roll my paladin that I intended. I like classic EQ because it was fun and challenging. In '99-02 time frame I didn't work and I could play 10+ hours a day so being patient was much easier. I work and have a family now and I don't think I'd have much fun waiting in lines or doing /lists. It was tough enough to compete with other paladins to get Soulfire - now I'd have to compete with multitudes of raiders as well?

The p99 experience seems wonderful and it is free monetarily. But it is still extremely time consuming which is another kind of cost. It is disheartening to see that particular cost looking to be higher than I was planning. I really appreciate the community and especially those putting all the work into it, and I am going to try playing as much as possible. Maybe I will stick with that easy-peasy druid I first considered.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leifer7inches [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wasn't aware of this exploit - (I think its appropriate to call it an exploit). But now that it seems common knowledge I don't think I will roll my paladin that I intended. I like classic EQ because it was fun and challenging. In '99-02 time frame I didn't work and I could play 10+ hours a day so being patient was much easier. I work and have a family now and I don't think I'd have much fun waiting in lines or doing /lists. It was tough enough to compete with other paladins to get Soulfire - now I'd have to compete with multitudes of raiders as well?

The p99 experience seems wonderful and it is free monetarily. But it is still extremely time consuming which is another kind of cost. It is disheartening to see that particular cost looking to be higher than I was planning. I really appreciate the community and especially those putting all the work into it, and I am going to try playing as much as possible. Maybe I will stick with that easy-peasy druid I first considered.
Have you seen https://www.project1999.com/forums/p...s&pollid=2171? If that poll is any indication (and it is just a forum poll, albeit one with a lot of response) you'll see Paladins are extremely "unpopular" relative to other classes (like Druid).

The vast vast majority of Paladin-specific stuff is going to be easier for you to get than (say) Druid-specific stuff (not like there are a ton of items on that list in classic, but still). And even Soulfire, despite raiders wanting it, will absolutely be attainable by Paladins wanting to get their epic.

I mean Blue has had raiders clicking the stupid thing (in a very un-classic way) for ten years: ask any Paladin here if it's a true impediment (I don't play Paladin, so I actually don't know the answer, but I'm pretty sure they all got their epic in spite of it).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread