Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Have you considered that perhaps the seller wants you to PM them to inquire about the price? Maybe they're feeling lonely and are looking to make a new friend. Or maybe they'd just like a little smalltalk about the weather, or to trade some golf tips.

Just PM them and find out. Here, I've created an example for you to follow:

Seller auctions WTS Golden Efreeti Boots
You tell the Seller, How much for the GEBs?"
Seller tells you, "1k OBO"
You tell the Seller, "Ok thanks. You feeling ok, need to chat with someone or anything? And how's your golf swing these days?"
Seller tells you, "Thanks for asking. I'm ok, golf swing is coming along nicely."
You tell the Seller, "Cool man, cya around."
Seller tells you, "Thanks bro"

You have the power to socialize with a stranger on the internet! Use it wisely.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to LazyHydras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you considered that perhaps the seller wants you to PM them to inquire about the price? Maybe they're feeling lonely and are looking to make a new friend. Or maybe they'd just like a little smalltalk about the weather, or to trade some golf tips.

Just PM them and find out. Here, I've created an example for you to follow:

Seller auctions WTS Golden Efreeti Boots
You tell the Seller, How much for the GEBs?"
Seller tells you, "1k OBO"
You tell the Seller, "Ok thanks. You feeling ok, need to chat with someone or anything? And how's your golf swing these days?"
Seller tells you, "Thanks for asking. I'm ok, golf swing is coming along nicely."
You tell the Seller, "Cool man, cya around."
Seller tells you, "Thanks bro"

You have the power to socialize with a stranger on the internet! Use it wisely.
This would be in stark contrast to those who post "WTS Fungus Covered Scale Tunic 55k" and, by the time you send them a tell, they have camped and are in the process of uploading their logs to the wiki's auction tracker. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nephinine - 60 Iksar Necromancer

Krystaps - 60 Iksar Warrior

Remember. . . Iksar is the master race.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrified Wood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As the title says I am just curious if there is a actual, reasonable explanation for not posting the price of a item you are trying to sell on the forums? Honestly tho I'm not saying its so wrong or anything of that nature. I always say, you do you and all. For myself being a very curious and inquisitive individual, knowledge is true power and it leaves me anxious to learn more and more. In Norrath or elsewhere this is the case for me.

I'd just like to understand if there is a point to leaving a price out or not. If anything I would think it would streamline a sale better if you did post a starting bid, that way you don't have so many people PM you with question that could of been answered without further communication and time wasted. They might not even be in the price range at all but if a price is not posted you will get many more PM that could of been avoided, saving time for the poster and the potential buyer.

Anyways, if you have anything you could add let me know in this thread. For all I know at this point each person could have a different reason for not posting a price so let me know what yours is and hopefully I will learn something new. Cheers!

I'll explain it. Its pretty easy to understand.

People who auction without a price are hoping to catch someone looking to buy it and willing to pay top platinum for it....maybe even over pay.

You don't want to undersell yourself by auctioning something for 2k when someone is in the zone willing to pay 3k. Give that person the opportunity to message you inquiring about the item and giving you their offer VS taking 1k less because you already said you would take 2k.

If you see someone place a price next to their item, they're eager to sell it and likely don't care if they maximize the value.

If you see someone not place a price next to their item odds are they're not overly motivated to sell it and are likely after max value.

Hope this helps.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 05-26-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Old 05-26-2020, 02:32 PM
Fire Giant

Evia above explains it perfectly. The only issue I've come across are people that are adamant about you being the one that makes the first offer when they're advertising something they want to unload. For me, it usually goes down like this in a /tell.

(Me) "I am interested in the X item. How much did you want for it?"
(Them) "Make me an offer."
(Me) "Actually, that's not an answer to my question. You obviously have an idea of what you would want for the item. Go ahead and name it."
(Them) "Make me an offer and I'll tell you if it will work."
(Me) "Thank you for your time."

At this point I've had sellers waste about 6 to 8 /tells to me asking what my problem is or why I wouldn't make an offer if I wanted the item at all. I guess being polite about refusing to play the "the first person that makes the offer loses." game isn't acceptable to some folks.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Offer them services of a value roughly equivalent to the item (quillmane farm or something), then when they say they want plat then you can say as they have an amount of plat in mind perhaps they can number it as you already made your offer?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Evia above explains it perfectly. The only issue I've come across are people that are adamant about you being the one that makes the first offer when they're advertising something they want to unload. For me, it usually goes down like this in a /tell.

(Me) "Actually, that's not an answer to my question. You obviously have an idea of what you would want for the item. Go ahead and name it."

At this point I've had sellers waste about 6 to 8 /tells to me asking what my problem is or why I wouldn't make an offer if I wanted the item at all. I guess being polite about refusing to play the "the first person that makes the offer loses." game isn't acceptable to some folks.
I've always done something similar. I can't stand the "make an offer" bullshit. So once they start that game, I either give them a lowball offer, or just reply with a simple "nah". Once a couple minutes go by and they start to realize they are about to lose a potential buyer they usually cough up a price.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 05-27-2020, 08:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"When I walk into a store to buy things, they don't ask me what I'm willing to pay. Good luck!"
/ignore
Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

“If you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it” - A Fat Cat (presumably)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:43 AM
Orc

Retail 101; If an item is not priced, shoppers assume it's too much $.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sometimes, people do that if they aren't sure how much they can get, or they are fishing for a random high offer. They also do it to avoid the stress of choosing a price to post, posting it, and possibly getting a counter-offer that is lower than they want, then being forced to say "no" (hard sometimes) or "how about X" (also hard) or "ok fine."

Rather than be annoyed by auction posts without price, you should use them as opportunities to practice making an offer that you would be willing to pay. You could lowball to some extent.
i recently had someone offer me an entire bag of garbage for a tola robe. Like 800 plat and a menagerie of gear worth like 150pp insisting it was "good stuf". Dont be like this guy.
Closed Thread