Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 07:02 PM
Sarnak

Default Rogue weapons

I've seen it said that damage is more important than ratio because of Backstab, so that means a 13/26 weapon is better than 12/21 for mainhand? Would it even be better than a 12/20? (This is for a level 50 but also interested in what's best at 60 as well.)
Old 05-04-2019, 07:25 PM
Sarnak

I'm rather new to Rog, but level 50 also. I'm using a seb Dirk as mainland, and it performs. Ideally around 50 our mainland should probably be Ragebringer. It's an easier epic quest.

The melee forum has some helpful rogue posts.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Kobold

You are right that damage is key for backstabs. I imagine the ideal scenario is that you keep the best ratio and swap the best dmg in for backstabs, but I'm sure someone has done the math about how perfect you have to be at swapping in, backstabbing and swapping back out to not take some hit to DPS over the course of a long fight.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Sarnak

Frozen shard should do you just fine until you can do your epic. 13/2 iirc. very cheap and readily available. And rogue epic is basically 2 fights, so its pretty easy to get if you don't have the funds to buy it.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:24 AM
Planar Protector

12/20 will be better dps than 13/26. Dont weapon swap. Go SCD then Ragebringer
Old 05-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizersoze [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frozen shard should do you just fine until you can do your epic. 13/2 iirc. very cheap and readily available. And rogue epic is basically 2 fights, so its pretty easy to get if you don't have the funds to buy it.
13/2 weapon sounds quite OP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In all seriousness, yes, pre-epic most people go for the highest damage dagger in their main hand for the backstab bonus. But a 12/20 weapon (such as the exquisite velium spear) will outperform a 13/26 weapon since you are significantly decreasing the delay without losing much weapon damage. The overall DPS (due to damage bonus on every swing) will be considerably higher, so the bit of damage you're losing on backstabs won't really matter. You're obviously going to pay a premium for this type of weapon.

For most people, something like a Frozen Shard/Small Dragonbone Shard or Serpent's Tooth is more realistic as these weapons are affordable and readily available.
Last edited by kebas239; 05-05-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Old 05-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Sarnak

If you're level 50, focus on getting your epic as soon as possible. Use Ragebringer in your mainhand even at 60 until you have access to ToV/Tunare/ST weapons or Thornstinger from PoSky. For your offhand, use the best ratio weapon you have access to. For non-raiding rogues, Ragebringer MH and Exquisite Velium Spear OH is the best weapon combination available. If you have the plat, you can buy a Horn of Hsagra or the loot rights to some of the less sought after ToV weapons (Frosted Ice Spike, Ikatiar's Stinger, Flame Etched Short Sword, etc.).

The importance of our epic cannot be understated: 15 damage, ~40 attack power, and 40% haste (haste also reduces backstab cooldown).
Last edited by Mud; 05-05-2019 at 01:40 PM..
Old 05-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Didn't they used to argue that you needed a second haste item independent of ragebringer for backstab cooldown? Was that nonsense or am I misremembering?
Old 05-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't they used to argue that you needed a second haste item independent of ragebringer for backstab cooldown? Was that nonsense or am I misremembering?
You're remembering correctly and it was a longstanding issue. It was fixed in this patch.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

Solid info, thanks