Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 10-31-2023, 03:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default About P99 and Trying to Play

I've tried playing P99 in the past years off and on and every time its just been a bad experience for me.

1) The crashes. 95% of the time when logging to character select the game just errors out and crashes forcing me to relog.

2) Zone crashing. Countless times when zoning, I'll just crash during zoning.

So many crashes or freeze ups, it just makes it so damned hard to even stay motivated about playing P99. It's funny because Live EQ plays just fun but EVERY freeshard EQ server I have tried has crashes like these. Not just P99 but other freeshards for EQ.

I have a top of the line PC, so it's not me trying to play these freeshard servers on a crappy pc. Why is it I have so many issues like this? Anyone else go through this?

Another thing I noticed last time on G99 was I'll set my UI up and play, then log off till another time and when I relog back on, my entire UI has reset. Does this every time on green. It's funny, back when Red99 has a decent population, I was playing it on an Alienware laptop, which is now old . . . like 8-9 years old but whats funny is that old laptop with an old 760 gfx card runs P99 fine lol but I want to play it on my main gaming rig but can't.

edit: Just like now, I figured, I'd give it a go, I log on, go to character select and click on my character and click play and . . . error. I mean seriously? Relogged in a second time, got in and of course UI totally reset as usual. :/
Last edited by RPGrandPa; 10-31-2023 at 04:05 PM..
Old 10-31-2023, 06:44 PM
Banned

A couple things to try:

1. Right click eqgame.exe, click Compatibility tab, check box Run this program in compatibility mode for: (select) Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

2. Lower in Settings check box Run this program as an administrator.

The issues you have sometimes happen with people who have machines that are very high end. Try these two items to try and clear up what you are facing.

Lastly regarding UI. You have to camp out the 30 seconds to character select screen for your UI file to save. If you just /ex out or /q out or crash out then the UI changes don't save.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2023, 09:30 AM
Kobold

Solid advice from Seducio. 2 other things I've seen help...I run the game in WinEQ. I've done this from initial install but from what I understand it eliminates a lot of crashing issues. Also I read that forcing the game to run on a single core will help eliminate a ton of issues. These old clients weren't made to operate on multi core computers and a single core is more than capable of running the game.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

Are you running the game in windowed mode or in fullscreen?
Old 11-14-2023, 08:14 PM
Aviak

I tried running in compatibility mode but then the game won't launch for me... oh well at least it is working without. It would be nice for it to stop crashing on camp though.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:16 PM
Kobold

Hey RPGP,

I just bought a new laptop and have been running into the same issues lately.
Compatibility mode does not work with my new rig (internal error etc.) so I just run it in normal mode.
Windowed mode instead of full screen seems to eliminate nearly all the problems.
However, I prefer full screen and it took me a while to figure out, for my rig, what works. Nonetheless, about 1/3 of the time, I still crash when I camp.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:11 PM
Kobold

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...t=service+pack

Link to a longer thread addressing the issue with more dialogue. The Windows XP Service Pack 3 worked perfect for me, never had a crash since. In the thread link there is some clarification of how people might be applying that incorrectly or other issues people determined were the root cause. Hopefully this helps fix your issue
Old 11-16-2023, 03:34 PM
Banned

The fact that you have a top of the line PC might be a big part of the problem. New OS's and even hardware hate being forced to run old software, which p99 by definition will always be.

P99, by far, runs more stable on an old winxp machine I built in 2004 with some entry level nvidia card than it ever has on any of my more modern systems.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact that you have a top of the line PC might be a big part of the problem. New OS's and even hardware hate being forced to run old software, which p99 by definition will always be.

P99, by far, runs more stable on an old winxp machine I built in 2004 with some entry level nvidia card than it ever has on any of my more modern systems.
I can echo this having played on a netbook about 8 years ago running Win8 and no real sign of a graphics card [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ...versus a modern PC with modern components.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:23 PM
Fire Giant

windowed mode stopped the crashing for me