Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also am wondering if anyone has gotten EQ to work in wine with an ATI card on any sort of build. I was considering buying an Nvidia card myself because I've had no luck in lucid lynx.
I've never had any luck with ATI on any linux machine. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Aviak

Default amd64 gentoo wine-1.5.24 - WORKS

I'm happy to say that I got p99 working just fine on my gentoo machine today!

3.7.10-gentoo #4 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 6 21:45:01 EST 2013 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] (rev a1)

I had to patch the existing wine-1.5.24 ebuild though.

Do some reading on using ebuild. pretty much you'll use 'ebuild wine-x.x.x.ebuild prepare' - then do the patch, then use ebuild .. compile, and finally ebuild .. merge.

I should have been not so lazy, and made an ebuild - but I didn't, so this is what you get [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

you'll need to edit/patch /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/wine-1.5.24/work/wine-1.5.24/dlls/d3d9/directx.c :
Quote:
--- directx.c.old 2013-03-07 14:35:59.458000000 -0500
+++ directx.c 2013-03-07 14:15:00.057000000 -0500
@@ -381,6 +381,7 @@

pCaps->MaxVertexShaderConst = min(D3D9_MAX_VERTEX_SHADER_CONSTANTF, pCaps->MaxVertexShaderConst);
pCaps->NumSimultaneousRTs = min(D3D9_MAX_SIMULTANEOUS_RENDERTARGETS, pCaps->NumSimultaneousRTs);
+ pCaps->MaxVertexBlendMatrices=0x4;

if (pCaps->PixelShaderVersion > 3)
pCaps->PixelShaderVersion = D3DPS_VERSION(3,0);
I can't tell you exactly what else I used exactly, to get this working - I may have missed a step (like copying that hex edited d3d9_30.dll to the system32 folder). I tried a lot of things before I had to resort to patching the wine source.

I also used winetricks for core fonts (Including Tomaha, doubt it's needed), mono and the whole d3dx9 package

Be sure to read everyone elses suggestions about disabling the VertexShaders as well.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah I tried a number of such fixes I found, including changing the source and recompiling, and none of them worked with my ATI card. I'm just gonna plop $150 into a cheap Nvidia card or something so I can play EQ from my server, lol.

It actually seemed to work really well right up until you have to get into a real 3d mode (char select).
Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Large Rat

I tossed EQ on my Linux bartop so I could play and more easily watch what goes on in my house. My kid likes to do his own thing, but I still gotta make sure he's not killing himself(he's 1). I was able to just copy my updated install from windows and run it no troubles using the version of wine in the Ubuntu repos. Had to disable the VertextShader dealie(that laptop rocks intel integrated graphics from around 07) and it was good to go. I debated seeing where the updates are pulled from and writing a gtk/python app to do that for me if it's possible since the neat updater app never worked for me in any WINEses.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by somnia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Works. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but for me the eqclient.ini wasn't generated until I tried running the game for the first time. From there it's smooth sailing.
Yes, I should have mentioned this back when I got it working. I copied the Titanium install from my Windows PC over into .wine/c_drive so I already had an eqclient.ini file generated. After adjusting that file it worked great.

Only oddity I have noticed is sometimes when I launch EQ the game will run at like half speed of what it should (lots of video lag, like it's running at 5fps or something). It's clearly evident at char select with the toon animations. I'll just quit out and restart until it loads properly. Can't tell if it's a Wine problem or the fact my laptop is 5+ years old.

Another interesting thing I found is that when I have that half speed instance running and I exit, eqgame.exe cleanly shuts down as a process should when it's closed. When eqgame.exe is actually running properly and I exit, the process hangs and has to be kill -9'd to drop properly. The wonderful mysteries of Linux!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

I might be in over my head a little bit here, but I've been trying to run a copy of EQ Titanium that I installed in windows and then copied into a Linux wine directory. I got it to work, but I ran into the head banging on desk no character models bug.

I've replaced the d3dx9_30.dll with the http://funcamp.net/w/d3dx9_30.dll one. I've editied the ini file to turn off vertex shaders and what not. I'm about to try to install ATI proprietary drivers and see if that works.
This is the exact laptop that I'm trying to use, except I have 3 gb of ram and my processor is 3.4ghz.
http://www.linlap.com/hp_pavilion_zd8000
It's running Mint 15 32bit. Ive kinda ran out of Ideas short of scratching everything and starting over again.
Last edited by Eslade; 08-02-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 AM
Sarnak

anyone have some wisdom on what causes/fixes the issue with the login server not showing any servers?

copied the eqclient.ini file wholesale to get to this point.

i am running ubuntu 13.04 + wine 1.6 with no modifications. also i copied a working eq folder from my windows box.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Planar Protector

Can confirm that handpartytowel is running linux to isolate the everquest related processes in a clean virtual windows box, resulting in antihax.dll scanning a clean windows envoirment while on the linux side he can use haxx.dll to sniff the packets routed to the virtual machine and track people and pixels.

I think a ban is in order.
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Sarnak

haxx.dll best .dll
Old 08-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextasy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never had any luck with ATI on any linux machine. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^^ This! I never run an ATI card in any Linux machine, just a pain in the ass.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!