Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

I like TAKP a lot. Pop is kinda low, but that will probably change and actually has its benefits imo. Boxing is limited to 3, and you do see a lot of trios during low levels, but a lot of people do it mostly for convenience rather than as a lifestyle. There's some good guilds and a lot of raiding. The server is flawless as far as functionality, seems to have very good devs. The community is awesome, very friendly and laid back.
If you have a religious object to OTHER people boxing, then yeah you won't like that aspect of it. You don't have to box if you don't want to, and there's a rather large exp bonus for going to 4 or above in a group, so singles are usually always welcome.
IDGAF about the cats on the moon thing, you people are ok with all kinds of dumb crap if its elveses and hobbittses but CATS? omg no.
Also...PoP is coming, and imo that's the pinnacle of EQ.
Really the only drawback is that halfings can be rangers, but whattaya gonna do.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yes boxing(3+1 trader). there are some who single box. it has boxing because AK did. some are very talented at it and others(me) very bad!
And AK had it because....wait for it....LIVE HAD IT.

Shit's classic.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 PM
Sarnak

[QUOTE=d3r14k;2707783]What's this server like? How does it compare to P99? I see the population is sometimes around ~150. Is it a ghost town?

with folks 3 boxing, perhaps it's really 50 players on.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 PM
Planar Protector

Does any server besides P99 prevent boxing?

It feels like all the servers which might someday have a chance of seeing P99-level population numbers, like 2002 and TAKP, screw themselves over by allowing boxing. They tell themselves "we have a low population, so we need boxing", but the reality is their population will always remain low because of that decision.

It seems to me that the only way (or at least the only proven way) to succeed is to do what P99 does and prevent boxing from day one. And the only other successful EQ servers (live EQ) did something similar: while they didn't ban boxing, they at least discouraged it by charging for accounts.

But for some odd reason it seems like every server except P99 completely fails to understand that, and I have yet to hear about any other that has a one-box policy. What gives?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-15-2018 at 08:54 PM..
Old 05-15-2018, 10:03 PM
Planar Protector

I don't know. Everybody talks about bot armies and whatever other weird shit they always bring up, and all I can say is I never once saw that during early live (up through PoP). If it was there it, never bothered me. I duo-boxed on live when not grouped and had a great time, ran with a good guild and we all had fun. To your point, Loramin, I have never understood the vitriolic hatred that the P99 population has for boxing, especially when it's limited to 2 or 3 max. TAKP is not bot-controlled, its not 50 people all playing trios, and its not full of cheaters and hacks. Some of the same devs that were on P99 are there and they are just as vigilant as they are here. I like boxing, always have. I also like group play as a single. What I don't like is being LFG for hours. Plus, boxing is freaking hard if you are doing anything other than a calm controlled exp camp anyway. Macros and bot controls are strictly not allowed on TAKP.

So really, I don't care if you guys come over or not frankly, this was not intended as a recruitment thread, just an announcement. But you could always see for yourself what it's like, and draw your own conclusions. We won't out you on P99 if you log in.
Last edited by fadetree; 05-15-2018 at 10:10 PM..
Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 PM
Banned

It's an AK replica, AK had boxing. Get lost with the boxing complaints.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:50 PM
Banned

I get upset easily.

Especially @ boxing on a game I'm not rly playing.

I'm sooo sorry. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-16-2018, 01:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To your point, Loramin, I have never understood the vitriolic hatred that the P99 population has for boxing, especially when it's limited to 2 or 3 max.
I guess I was a bit too vitriolic. Honestly I had intended more to fume about the lack of one-box servers, but somehow wound up ranting about multi-box ones instead.

But to what you said, it's not that people necessarily hate boxing. I myself boxed occasionally on live, and enjoyed it. But on live boxing was limited by the cost of $10/month plus an initial $50 ... plus a second computer, before EQW came out.

If emulated servers could require all that then they might actually feel like a live server. But they can't, and it's frustrating to me that every other server creator chooses to allow boxing, when both one-boxing P99 and "discouraged boxing" live EQ were so successful.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, it's an interesting point. Part of the issue I think is that there's been kind of a sea of emulators out there. I never seriously played any of them besides P99 and TAKP, but from what I gather they were all pretty heavily modified and/or were from an era after PoP when many people, myself included, stopped liking the easymode direction that EQ had gone.
So, there was a lot of built up desire to experience EQ as it actually was during the era when most of us thought it was at it's greatest. I actually tried Dalaya and like 1 other one for a brief time, and they were unrecognizable as EQ beyond the superficial setting, and I did not enjoy them.
So when P99 started up it's goal matched a whole lot of people's desires, and its brilliant execution and attention to detail really made a name for itself. People could log on and really feel like they just logged into live in 1999. I personally think that it was not so much the 'no boxing!' that made P99 so popular (although it helped) as just that it was done extremely well and appeared at the right time. So a population built up, and developed it's own cultural views on many things, including boxing.
I think that if P99 had started with limited boxing at that same time, it would not have prevented the player base growth in any significant way. That's just an opinion. But now there's a really strong cultural bias against boxing on P99, and that's fine. I like P99 a lot. But I also think there's a lot of people who liked PoP a lot, and who liked boxing as a fallback to standing around LFG on a short play time frame. A lot of us are much older now and don't have hours and hours to play.
I guess the 'bot armies' thing was a problem in live, although I never noticed it much, but that was supported with ShowEQ, external macros, and no limit to the number of boxes. If Live discouraged boxing, it was in word only, I never saw anyone I knew get in trouble for boxing.
So I guess to look at the emu landscape and say 'wow, boxing kills servers' based on the 1 example of P99 is not a completely convincing argument. P99 has many other things going for it, including the time at which it got started, era accuracy, and excellent devs and regulation, which are also missing from a lot of the other emus both past and present. You could as well say "wow, not sticking to accuracy and not running a tight ship kills servers'. Also keep in mind there's a limited number of people who are even interested in EQ compared to the general population, and P99 has a large part of them already invested in it.
I think that once TAKP drops luclin and starts working on PoP, the population will slowly ramp up, especially as more people start to confirm the things about TAKP that attracted and keep me playing there.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

No, I never played on TLPs at all.
I don't understand why limited boxing and people who don't want to box can't co-exist.
I personally draw the line at instancing. That's a personal preference and was part of why I quit Live when I did. I understand that's basically the same decision as people make when they say 'I draw the line at boxing', but the difference to me is that I don't have to box if I don't want to, but instancing is a inescapable part of the environment.
Last edited by fadetree; 05-16-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Closed Thread