Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 12:12 AM
Fire Giant

if you're lazy, like farming stuffs, and just ripping through mobs so you can take a longer AFK, mages are pretty good. also...if you're fortunate enough to get an epic pet during Kunark, it'll probably be the most fun you'll have on p99.

the Salt King <Ironborn>
Old 01-28-2020, 12:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natewest1987 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
uhhh. I’ll bite, I guess.

Mage Vs. Necro
- Stronger DPS in group content due to pet damage, damage shields, better DD’s, no DOT’s
- passive CC through pet tanks & pet procs, stuns that interupt casters and roots from earth
- potential to increase group dps through damage shields & busted proc weapons for pets
- earth pet will last a lot longer than necro pet if shit hits the fan.
- also can potentially save the day by chain casting pets if shit did blow up.

Vs Wiz
- similar damage Nukes, atleast for a while
- stronger sustained group dps for reasons above
- ability to share mana with the group, thus decrease down time
- less mana dependent

Vs enchanter
- if charm pet isn’t available then they aren’t competing for the same role, so this is iffy
- with charm pet then enchanter hands down, but enchanter tops the caster list anyway

For the record I play necro, but mages do have quite the edge unless we’re talking about ability to solo, and then the only real edge Necros have is their versatility in dealing with breaking camps and getting in/ out of places. A mage can still kill a lot of things that a necro can, for instance, if the room is already broken.

Most groups will tend to favor mage / necro / wizard and enchanter circumstantially will top that list depending on availability of charm pet / need for additional dps vs additional cc.

It is also a lot easier to play a mage to a decent level of competency than it is necro / enchanter.
Well that certainly paints them in a different light, thanks for the reply.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:37 AM
Banned

I honestly wouldn't want the classes to be perfectly balanced. You know a good way to perfectly balance the classes? Make one generic class called FANTASY CHARACTER and give it the combined skills and stats of every existing class and deity. Obviously going too far the other way and having classes be wildly UNbalanced isn't ideal either, but I like that classic EQ classes kind of allow people to play to their strengths. I personally think playing a cleric is unbearably boring and horrible, but some people love to fill that crucial role and heal others. It's a good if imperfect system.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:23 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hey stop hating on wizards! We are complex creatures ok
Old 01-28-2020, 04:38 AM
Aviak

As a mage on live back in the day I lived it. COTh is great in groups to in your deep in dungeons xp and needed a pickup. Still situational beyond raiding though. I got really good getting deep in kos areas and clothing groups to xp as well.

But modrods can die a death of a thousand cuts.. Eff that spell. Makes raiding as a mage a mana bot. worse then that is serving a dru a rod and watching them just nuke it away then ask for more.
Last edited by Quylein; 01-28-2020 at 04:47 AM..
Old 01-28-2020, 05:23 AM
Kobold

You do have to be grouped to CotH someone but that's easily gimped with stalking probes / summoned eyes. Don't forget all the shit mages summon, bandaids, food, pet weapons....much later on entire sets of armor for pets etc. Their DS is hands down best in game, their nukes while slightly behind wiz seem to be more consistent than wizzys imo, less full blown resists on mage nukes
Old 01-28-2020, 07:39 AM
Sarnak

Broken unbalanced pet weapons that still proc a giant DD vs all mobs that you can have them duel wield since the developers cant be bothered with fixing something that fucks the game economy......again.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Broken unbalanced pet weapons that still proc a giant DD vs all mobs that you can have them duel wield since the developers cant be bothered with fixing something that fucks the game economy......again.
I thought that was classic?

Also how does that fuck the game economy?
Old 01-28-2020, 07:56 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Cutting [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought that was classic?

Also how does that fuck the game economy?
It was not classic and mages being able to crush things farming with that massive extra DPS taints the whole market with items mages were never able to farm unless they were significantly higher lvl vs the mob solo. Its ridiculous.

Edit- and for people who dont know it's a 40 (44?) Damage proc summoned weapons that's only supposed to proc vs summoned mobs that starts to proc at lvl 20 that your high dex dps pet can duel weild

Correction- they fixed it for players pretty fast which is what I remembered but unfortunately left it in till velious. My bad. Saw a warrior duel wielding these things and it triggered me. I'll have some more coffee
Last edited by Gatorsmash; 01-28-2020 at 08:13 AM..
Old 01-28-2020, 08:04 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was not classic and mages being able to crush things farming with that massive extra DPS taints the whole market with items mages were never able to farm unless they were significantly higher lvl vs the mob solo. Its ridiculous
I’ll let others comment on exactly how much damage is added, but I feel like a handful of 41dd procs really isn’t anything game changing. What level do they start to proc at?

And you’re certain it isn’t classic? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Nilbog in a bug thread commenting that it was.