Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 03:40 AM
Planar Protector

Question Why are your surprised item prices are rising?

Plat accumulates easily and can be farmed in many different zones and mobs. You gather plat from level 1 to 50 and beyond. Some spots are better than others, but plat is a very common drop from nearly every NPC.

Items like GEBs, Mithril Sword, etc. can only be gotten at a single camp from a single mob on a single timer, by a single person.

Increased population means:
  • More people with platinum want to own these items (availability of buyers drives price) "I keep getting outbid, I will have to increase my price to win an item."
  • More people wanting to camp these items, therefore less chance for each person to camp them due to longer lines (camping opportunity drives price) - "If I can't camp it, I might buy it."

Purchasable legacy items (Rubicite BP and Manastone):
  • Most people expected a Kunark merge. We merged earlier than expected, meaning we went from 2 camps to 1 camp per item. (availability of item drives price)
  • With increased population and half the list camps, /listing will lead to longer times waiting on list (time spent camping an item drives price)
  • We are only getting closer to May when they stop dropping (availability of item drives price) -- expect a bigger jump in price when that patch goes live
  • See other above points on items rising prices in general

Yes, we have seen some crazy prices, but we shouldn't be shocked at the general trend of item prices rising, Rubicite BP and Manastone in particular.

On the bright side. 5ac/55hp ring prices will come down very soon with the SolRo patch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I might not sell you Manastone, but I am selling my Rubciite BP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] PST bros
Old 01-22-2020, 04:27 AM
Kobold

I doubt any of those big-ticket items are being purchased by people who use them. EC tunnel is a human centipede of item farmers and fatcats.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:21 AM
Kobold

as an economics major i can tell you that you are describing the market forces at play completely wrong. you are pretending there are only demand shifts, but there was also a supply shift as the total items in the server essentially also doubled with the merge aka "supply shift" which would at the same time as your "demand shifts" move prices down. you could try to argue that prices would rise in the future because the inflow of items is now reduced by half because there are half the spawns that two servers would produce, but this would also be a restriction on incoming platinum, which again would reduce buying power and price. so really, the net difference is ambiguous with both demand and supply shifts occurring simultaneously, but really prices probably shouldn't have changed.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Orc

Coming from Teal, my initial impression was that many prices had dropped. More sellers in EC leads to some amount of price competition.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydgun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
as an economics major i can tell you that you are describing the market forces at play completely wrong. you are pretending there are only demand shifts, but there was also a supply shift as the total items in the server essentially also doubled with the merge aka "supply shift" which would at the same time as your "demand shifts" move prices down. you could try to argue that prices would rise in the future because the inflow of items is now reduced by half because there are half the spawns that two servers would produce, but this would also be a restriction on incoming platinum, which again would reduce buying power and price. so really, the net difference is ambiguous with both demand and supply shifts occurring simultaneously, but really prices probably shouldn't have changed.
Yes, but the demand shift remains constant, whereas the supply shift is temporary as the items incoming from Teal are finite. Once the market deals with that small surplus, it will return to an equilibrium, and will invariably result in higher prices as demand outpaces supply due to the heavy limitations on supply. Incoming platinum is relatively constant, as all players are still receiving platinum at a steady rate assuming they’re actively playing the game while logged in.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EC tunnel is a human centipede of item farmers and fatcats.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Banned

Fat cat aka someone putting in effort instead of complaining.

There's the people who happily play casually, and then the jealous, angry casuals and they are the worst. People like them are how you get rooted dragons in TOV.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:12 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Item prices will drop, more competition, less plat income because plat camps are taken, if you actually want to sell items they are gonna have to lower prices now, it makes sense, its just too soon to tell
Old 01-22-2020, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Coming from Teal, my initial impression was that many prices had dropped. More sellers in EC leads to some amount of price competition.
The OPs statement only applies to his limited experience on Green. Of course the prices will drop for nearly half the population and stay that way.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

everyone marked up items 500-1K and hoped no one would notice since its people from the other server