Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Although this is funny, I don't agree with the main message. There have been times I played eq on live, and on p99, and it felt rewarding, fun, and satisfying. When I played on blue a few years ago I never thought "why am I doing this" it felt fun in and of itself. To me green just feels artificial and mechanical for some reason but I can't really explain why.
If you've ever gone to an overcrowded beach you'll find the exact same feeling.

In French there's an appropriate expression that says "too much is a lot like too little".

cheers,

Astuce
Old 10-29-2019, 03:14 PM
Fire Giant

I feel ya, i'm pretty much in the same boat. I'd love to play green but I just can't bring myself to actually do it. I've played so much on blue over the last 3-4 years and accomplished so much on p99 already that I no longer have that drive I once had. At this point I plan on just logging on every once in a while for short windows and my time will probably be best spent on blue, at least for a while (things can change).
Old 10-29-2019, 03:38 PM
Banned

I didn't think i would actually end up on green myself.. I was afraid if i started a character on green, it would drive me to spend all my time and more over there.. And i hardly have anytime to play at all!

But after getting a little cleric to 5 on green, I don't really feel that pull like i thought! I keep a close eye on blue but since i dont raid, i check friend list, i check lfg's, and if nothin crackin, im back to green! It's actually refreshing not being judged or inspected... People just assume ur gear sucks like theirs haha! Just play green with the right state of mind.. Don't go in there wanting to get on a list for legacy items, or anything like that.. Just play to play! Keep your focus and pixels on blue.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larper99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last night was day 4 and already the population is spreading out nicely. I have no trouble soloing blues in EP to feed my tradeskilling.

Problem is, many of the new players are really new. They don't know how to group. Got into a group last night to go to WK to (I thought) camp some bears and bandits (while I gathered as many cat pelts as possible). Nope. Ran around like mad killing every blue they could find (we were all about 5-ish). Grizzly? They ran away from it. Camp? Never heard the term. No real healer in the group, but a shaman who actually seemed to know what he was doing, but remained quiet while they ran around non stop, then wondered why no one was healing. After about an hour, lots of running, about half-bubble of exp, and no treasure (but I did get an overload of pelts to skill up with). Still, they were nice enough and having fun, it seemed. The shaman seemed a bit frustrated, as was I, but remained quiet.

Meanwhile, back in EP, people complaining about not finding blues in over 20 minutes, while I was killing spiderlings and cubs left and right with no one else in sight.
I have noticed many new players with little to no experience here doing some out landish shit in parties, saw a druid snare every mob when it could have been better spent healing
Old 10-29-2019, 06:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo32 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have noticed many new players with little to no experience here doing some out landish shit in parties, saw a druid snare every mob when it could have been better spent healing
I think Tecmos made a point in another thread also about this. Either there were a lot of really bad players back in the day or we have a lot of really new people playing on the server. It's amazing some of the shit you see
Old 10-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think Tecmos made a point in another thread also about this. Either there were a lot of really bad players back in the day or we have a lot of really new people playing on the server. It's amazing some of the shit you see
I consider myself a noob, or noobish, since I didn't play EQ much originally. I did play EQ2 a bit more. Not sure if that counts. Played on blue for about 6 months.

And still, I absorbed some of the tactics, knew about "assist", pulling, etc. How can some players claim to know EQ and not know that stuff?
Old 10-29-2019, 06:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by larper99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I consider myself a noob, or noobish, since I didn't play EQ much originally. I did play EQ2 a bit more. Not sure if that counts. Played on blue for about 6 months.

And still, I absorbed some of the tactics, knew about "assist", pulling, etc. How can some players claim to know EQ and not know that stuff?
Honestly I think people jumping on blue late may be part of the problem. People always kinda handed you stuff and you were usually overpowered for what you were trying to do. This patchwork tarnished weapons stuff actually makes you need to use your brain a little.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

If it aint fun it aint fun.

Sometimes fun games arent fun and you want to do monotonous work like EQ.

EQ has always had a huge amount of different players and you will always need to talk to your group mates and get them alligned with you. They didn't all come from your raiding guild. Some of them maybe were EC rats, some of them were a solo class..who knows.

When you make a group you always gotta talk a lot. Its chatquest.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Large Rat

You know times are desperate when were right back to the forums...

Well I don't post much or ever so I don't expect any klout on my opinion. I was addicted af to EQ, WOW, EVE online and roughly any other major mmo thats come out in the past 20 years. I should have failed school cause of EQ which should have taught me somthing.. it did not... fast forward, were all here. (watch everyone scrutinize my education now)

Now im 35, my second son was just born 4 months ago, I have a good full time job with a wife and two kids, i'm not 16 with endless supply of doritos, coca cola, and free time. Is it that bad to presume others are in somewhat the same boat? Is this just not a game for people like me anymore? How did I do it on Blue? (questionable answer) This is my problem now, and its because of the choices i've made, not the mechanics on green.

But I just dont feel that spark. And I agree with the comments from Deathryda, Roth and Pharmakos, there's something core to this server that feels wrong. Maybe it was seeing people go spawn crazy for decaying skeletons, or sitting for 3 hours in groups like people say not really gaining any xp cause nobody really knows what their doing...(I guess we forgot?). Something is different now that what it was 20 years ago. No its not the UI, its not the lists. I cant put my finger on it though I will admit the moment I saw that broadcast from Rogean asking if we wanted two green servers my answer was an overwhelming YES in my head. I remember my classic experience being grinding, long, but Fun. There wasn't an overwhelming amount of people who either knew EVERYTHING about the game, or almost nothing. Ive asked in groups a few times what everyone thinks will happen when we all try to go to MM, HH, or wherever 20-30, I usually get told don't bother it will be packed... Spread out, go find areas that arn't packed... and that's great, if you have the time, and know those places, are connected like 1/3 the population in some secret p1999 underground, or u just lucked out and got in., but I wont be, I don't have any chance at that, and that and many other places I will probably miss out on is why this classic experience is different for me. I spent weeks scrutinizing what class I should play... I want to group, but with my schedule I never got many groups in blue so I doubt Id be getting them on green.

Like others have talked about for months people have been practicing making classic chars, they've been planning, schemeing, I did too... but for the reasons above, I just cant devote the same time as the guy who quit his job divorced his wife waved bye to his kids and sits on a bucket with pizza pops beside him.... I cant compete with that and Im happy for that.

So I cutting this crap short cause its more than yall want to read anyway. I hope in a few months things have settled. Dont judge me, I love p1999, Green and Blue. I loved my last three years on blue with Kittens I could not have asked for a better Everquest experience. I am donating $15 a month for P1999 and will for years to come just as if I was paying for a subscription like WOW because I feel it is an amazing thing, I still dream of having my kids come camp Udogs in Velks with me someday tho they will probably think its really lame.

So in ending, Thank you to the people who dare not love this experience, we need to be free thinkers. Thank you most of all to the devs. You have created something amazing. I hope someday my own life circumstances will allow me to enjoy this world you've created. Were not going anywhere o7
Old 10-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwen42 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The population problem will change overtime. Better too many now than too few later on. YMMV.
Server already lost 25% of its launch-weekend population. A month from now it'll be topping out around 1500, and month after that, it won't even tip 1000.
Closed Thread