Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 10:11 PM
Orc

Question Made an Ogre SK and need a lil' help with gear (green)

So I'm new-ish to p99, I had played almost 1 year ago (When green was a few months old) and I had no idea what I was doing and about 7-8 months later I played on live on a gnome mage for 1 month and I finally understanded all the ui and mechanics of the game, and 3 days ago I got p99 again and knew what to do and I got a gnome mage to level 6 and I realized the only class I've actually played was magician, and I wanted something new so I chose... The amazing Shadow Knight which I already knew was a little less of a tank than the warrior but made up for it by doing a lot more damage.
So I made an ogre sk (And I did some research on what to put points in)
And I put 5 into agility, 5 into stamina (to be a little more tanky), and 10 into intelligence (for a decent mana pool). And also I chose Rallos Zek as my deity because why not. So I think I did a pretty good job at character creation, so I was running around in oggok and realized "Wait a second how expensive would sk gear be?"
And then realized that everything but cloth and leather armor wasn't gonna be cheap.
So then I said "Hmmm if I have no idea on how to get anything better than cloth armor then why not get someone to help me get good gear!" So then I made this post. So can someone help me get some good gear, not just armor, maybe a weapon or 2. I hope to see some help in the comments! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by CrazyPro; 11-16-2020 at 10:16 PM..
Old 11-16-2020, 10:58 PM
Planar Protector

In feerrott
Ask in /ooc Can anyone camping spectres spare a Scythe for a new player?
Then do /who and whisper everyone in zone if they can spare a Scythe.
Not a bronze scythe or rusty scythe.

Then ask them if you can sell scythes for them and keep 10-20% of the plat. Use that plat to buy cheap leather from an ogre merchant, less than ~1p per piece.

You can continue running scythes for people camping spectres and save up for some cheap East Commons gear. Advertise that service in ooc and send tells to people camping spectres.

While you wait for tells to run scythes, kill lizardmen for exp.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 11-16-2020 at 11:03 PM..
Old 11-16-2020, 11:14 PM
Banned

might be a bit hard playing a tank as a first character but I did it on my paladin on blue

I recommend doing the lizard meat quest in oggok it gives a decent amount of gold

and when quest experience is finally enabled, it will be good exp too

can start to save towards banded armor or maybe get this item which I found to be

pretty nice actually at a low level : https://wiki.project1999.com/Two_Handed_Practice_Sword it shouldn't be too expensive
Old 11-16-2020, 11:36 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
might be a bit hard playing a tank as a first character but I did it on my paladin on blue

I recommend doing the lizard meat quest in oggok it gives a decent amount of gold

and when quest experience is finally enabled, it will be good exp too

can start to save towards banded armor or maybe get this item which I found to be

pretty nice actually at a low level : https://wiki.project1999.com/Two_Handed_Practice_Sword it shouldn't be too expensive
Ok but my first character on p99 was a mage, on live my mage was lvl 13 or 14 I cant remember (The mage on p99 was the level 6 one)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:40 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because there are so many people in Dalnir and Kunark has been around at green for years?
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Old 11-17-2020, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

save up all your money and buy a weapon, ogres can get by with ringmail until like lvl 20.

but yeah, rolling a caster main, and farming gls for the quest to get like 2kpp and then buy some starter gear for a war is much easier, then u can get to 30's easy if your focus is the end game.

Ogres are fun because they are so OP and there's bears in rathe mountains to make leather/patchwork from but that is just me, it's probably not how you want to start out unless you like ultra-hard-mode

bind wound is literally hands down the absolute best skill in the game and can heal an amazing amount at 200 skill

if you manage to get into a few oasis groups a senior player will probably go out of their way to run to the bank to get some armor to help you
Old 11-17-2020, 12:14 PM
Kobold

and get yourself a bind at freeport....running back to ro desert/ec all the way from oggok is a nightmare.

Get some decent weapon first...even fine steel weapons work very well. patchwork leather from the pelts is basic, get banded armor from players after that or bronze plate.
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Old 11-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Kobold

if you can catch me online later on my oger Toaloa or my gnome Pikkle, i can hook you up with a piercing wep that is pretty decent (and i think training piercing is important for SHD in future?)

just send me a /tell when ur online. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

now offering e-tours at our toilet factory!!!!!!! https://snakefangworld.netlify.app/
Old 11-19-2020, 10:51 AM
Sarnak

You did fine with character creation. Just one clarification SKs won’t do more damage than warriors, they’ll hold aggro better so your group can really unload and do a lot of damage. In order to succeed in keeping aggro you will want to cast disease cloud as often as needed to make the monster attack you. Mana matters for SK! Don’t forget to med between pulls and ask for breeze/clarity.

Don’t worry too much about gear early on, level is the most important attribute in Everquest. Just find good experience and grind it up, outside of Guk is great from lvl 4-7ish with others to group with. The best DPS weapon you can find will help you level through the early levels. After 10ish start looking for gear upgrades but for the most part cloth and leather you find on mobs will do just fine. A set of large banded and some odds and ends will take you to 40.

Sure casters are easier to level, but who wants to be a squishy!? Leveling a melee/hybrid is very rewarding. Shadow knights are able to main tank a lot of Kunark raid mobs, as the fights last 30 seconds, so really you’re living the premier era for your class.

Now get out there and crush. Ogre strong!!!
Old 11-19-2020, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

Just play the game you don't need gear. There are some low level quests in your starting area that can get you a weapon upgrade and patchwork type armor that you can wear to great benefit. The natural gear progression in the game is totally adequate.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread