Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2024, 03:45 AM
Vanessa Vanessa is offline
Kobold


Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 115
Default Mage or Necro for farming Droga

If I am looking to farm Droga for skins / vendor loot etc. which class would be better for that? Mage or Necro?

Assuming both are lvl 50-55, would there be much of a difference between them?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2024, 07:19 AM
Silverback Silverback is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 578
Default

I like necro in dungeon where fd really matters if too many adds. Plus much better effective mana regen
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2024, 08:22 AM
Toxigen Toxigen is offline
Planar Protector

Toxigen's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 4,401
Default

prob necro but i just hate mages
__________________
ENC | MNK | WAR | ROG | CLR | DRU | SHM | NEC | PAL | BRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2024, 08:25 AM
PatChapp PatChapp is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 873
Default

Mage but at 57 not 55. Pets better than necro and you don't need to do anything but swap it out at low health
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2024, 10:03 AM
cd288 cd288 is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 4,033
Default

Personally I would go Necro even if the mage pets are better. You're higher level than the content you're farming, but as a caster a few adds of those guys could still end up being risky for you in a bad situation. Useful to have FD as an option as well as other CC options.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2024, 10:05 AM
PatChapp PatChapp is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 873
Default

You have to try to die in droga at 55+. Everything single pulls. Mage isn't good for much but they are the best for this
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2024, 07:14 AM
Daddypig Daddypig is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have to try to die in droga at 55+. Everything single pulls. Mage isn't good for much but they are the best for this
I hear a lot of people saying this, that when it comes to grinding through green mobs 10 levels or so under you, then Mage is best over Necro for that.
But when I look at the difference in stats on the pets between the 2 classes, I really don't see much difference that would cause Mage pets to tear through mobs much faster than Necro pets.

For example, if you take a 50 Mage and 50 Necro and look at their 49 pets.

Necro - Lvl 41, 2300hp, 55dmg, 24 kick/bash, 42 lifetap proc.
Mage Water - Lvl 41, 2600hp, 56dmg, 25 kick/bash, 42 nuke proc.

So the main difference between is 300hp, 1 top end dmg, 1 kick dmg.
Also both of the Burnout and Augment line give the same 55% haste to pets.

I know some people will argue that you can chain Mage pets easier because the mana cost caps at 200. But thats only for the classic pets up to lvl 49, Kunark ones are like 400+.

Also I understand the damage shield is pretty solid as well and adds quite a bit of dps. But in that same case, would just throwing a single life tap on each mob nearly make up the difference of the dmg shield?

And as a Necro you have crazy good mana regen, so throwing 1 lifetap nuke on each mob isn't that big of a deal. You also have root, fear, mez, and FD for safety.

Like the total toolkit that a Necro gets compared to Mage is objectively much better. But I've always heard that the Mage pets out perform Necro pets by quite and bit, which is why their toolkit isnt as strong as Necro.

But I just don't see what makes the pets so much stronger?
Am I missing or overlooking something?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2024, 08:04 AM
Jimjam Jimjam is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,436
Default

Don’t take this from mages, it is all they have beside coth.
__________________

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2024, 08:38 AM
Toxigen Toxigen is offline
Planar Protector

Toxigen's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 4,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddypig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hear a lot of people saying this, that when it comes to grinding through green mobs 10 levels or so under you, then Mage is best over Necro for that.
But when I look at the difference in stats on the pets between the 2 classes, I really don't see much difference that would cause Mage pets to tear through mobs much faster than Necro pets.

For example, if you take a 50 Mage and 50 Necro and look at their 49 pets.

Necro - Lvl 41, 2300hp, 55dmg, 24 kick/bash, 42 lifetap proc.
Mage Water - Lvl 41, 2600hp, 56dmg, 25 kick/bash, 42 nuke proc.

So the main difference between is 300hp, 1 top end dmg, 1 kick dmg.
Also both of the Burnout and Augment line give the same 55% haste to pets.

I know some people will argue that you can chain Mage pets easier because the mana cost caps at 200. But thats only for the classic pets up to lvl 49, Kunark ones are like 400+.

Also I understand the damage shield is pretty solid as well and adds quite a bit of dps. But in that same case, would just throwing a single life tap on each mob nearly make up the difference of the dmg shield?

And as a Necro you have crazy good mana regen, so throwing 1 lifetap nuke on each mob isn't that big of a deal. You also have root, fear, mez, and FD for safety.

Like the total toolkit that a Necro gets compared to Mage is objectively much better. But I've always heard that the Mage pets out perform Necro pets by quite and bit, which is why their toolkit isnt as strong as Necro.

But I just don't see what makes the pets so much stronger?
Am I missing or overlooking something?
its all in the damage shields
__________________
ENC | MNK | WAR | ROG | CLR | DRU | SHM | NEC | PAL | BRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Vaarsuvius Vaarsuvius is offline
Sarnak

Vaarsuvius's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 308
Default

50-55 I would pick necro, but at 60 I would probably go mage.

I either use a mage with focused air pet & clicky SS robe for a free 25DS (or 33DS with Cadeau of Flame), or necro with Emissary of Thule + duck staff but I could not tell which one is better...

Air pet is great to interrupt casters in Droga, the only thing I do is get rid of those annoying DS on pull, but EoT is more solid if you get 3+ mobs on your pet.
__________________
"I am somewhat preoccupied telling the Laws of Physics to shut up and sit down."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.