Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 02:17 AM
Planar Protector

however if you put it all into wisdom you'd already know the answer
Old 06-02-2021, 07:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand how you guys can say that INT is easy to cap on a Necro
Mostly it's another case of the top end spilling over into the rest of the game. Easy to cap stats with temple veeshan gear, therefore must be easy for the level 20 dude wearing rags, right? Meanwhile outside the theorycraft echo chamber I've never had unbuffed-capped anything on any character I've ever had in this game.

As a rule for a human Necromancer I'm with you. I'd put points heavily into INT since building the class's core statistic is never going to be a bad idea. If it caps, it means the player can wear gear with other stats or resist gear and maintain good values. I don't like stamina overmuch on clothie classes because the returns are so poor. Strength has some appeal but not enough I'd put points in it on a human since that race has a decent score there (by clothie standards) by default, plus human necromancer is not usually quite so vendor-limited as some other races.

If you're starting in Qeynos, get used to watching out for a couple of roaming half-elf NPC's in the city that don't much like Bertoxxulous followers.

Danth
Old 06-02-2021, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorskuns [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello all, ive been craving to start a human necro on Green, i'm well aware of there low starting INT and also aware that Iskar is way better because of Regen. but i'm dead set on Human because of Bertox Lore, catacombs and the guildhall, for starting stats what should i dump 25int and 5 stam or 25stam and 5int
If you don't have an established character on green already (to get him a lot of weight reducing bags) it's +25 str +5 int. No question or debate imo. If not, it's really debatable. You could argue con for more HP which will make squeezing all the efficiency out of your life tap DoTs a little easier/less dangerous. You could argue int since its your base of mana and even if you cap it you can switch over to +hp gear. There is even an argument for going cha, as necro lulls, screaming terror resist and memory blur component are still based on charisma, and charisma has a very large impact on lull effectiveness. and of course going str is still viable, cause ain't no one got time fo dat encumbrance. also it should be noted that both STR and CHA ill have their effects fully starting at level 1, while int and con will take a lot of leveling to even show up significantly on your character.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorskuns [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello all, ive been craving to start a human necro on Green, i'm well aware of there low starting INT and also aware that Iskar is way better because of Regen. but i'm dead set on Human because of Bertox Lore, catacombs and the guildhall, for starting stats what should i dump 25int and 5 stam or 25stam and 5int
I vote you go +25 INT and +5 Sta or str. Int is not as easily maxed as it's often made out to be, and even if you do max it you will probably spend a looooooong time playing before it is maxed. At end game the extra HP you will receive from going all in on STA is equal to just a fraction of one hit from a regular xp mob.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

Here's a realistic set of obtainable, droppable Necro gear. Not value gear and not super high end. But basically as good a set of gear as you could reasonably expect a self-funded Necro to acquire on the way to 60 on Blue's current timeline.

Gatorscale Sleeves: INT: +4 HP: +15
Shimmering Terror Hide Cloak: STR: +4 DEX: +4 HP: +50
Tolapumj's Robe: STR: +5 WIS: +5 INT: +10 MANA: +50
Black Sapphire Electrum Earring HP: +35 MANA: +25
Black Sapphire Electrum Earring HP: +35 MANA: +25
Crystal Spider Eyes: WIS: +3 INT: +3 HP: +35 MANA: +35
Coldain Skin Boots: WIS: +8 INT: +8 MANA: +35
Velium Fire Wedding Ring: HP: +65
Velium Fire Wedding Ring: HP: +65
Coldain Skin Gloves: STA: +9 WIS: +6 INT: +6 HP: +20 MANA: +20
Iksar Hide Cap: WIS: +7 INT: +7 HP: +25
Astral Leggings of the Titans: INT: +10 AGI: +8
Black Sapphire Velium Necklace: HP: +65 MANA: +65
Fancy Velvet Mantle: DEX: +9 STA: +5 INT: +5 MANA: +25
Spider Fur Belt: DEX: +5 AGI: +5 HP: +40
Golden Bracer: STR: +7 INT: +7
Steel Wristband of Strategy: STR: +7 DEX: +7 CHA: -5 INT: +7
Sorcerous Bowl: CHA: -5 WIS: +7 INT: +7 HP: +50 MANA: +10
Rokyls Channeling Crystal: HP: +50 MANA: +50
Sickly Glowing Orb: STA: +5 HP: +60

+INT total for the set: 74 INT
+HP total for the set: 610 HP
+mana total for the set: 380 mana

Human Necro base starting INT is 85, so let's say you dump 25 STA/5 INT. You start with 90 INT, meaning that in this full set of very nice gear you are running around with a whopping 164 INT. Also consider that this list takes advantage of several very nice late P1999 timeline items from Velious and Chardok that would not be available for most of a Green 2.0 timeline. So this is really a best case scenario.

Let's put to bed the idea that "omg INT is easy to cap you should pump STA!". It's pretty much universally terrible advice on every single caster, even Necros and Shaman (with WIS instead of INT) who benefit from a bigger health pool. In every case you are always better off pumping your primary stat at creation and raising your secondary stats with gear.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:43 PM
Planar Protector

STR, not STA. Increasing STA on a necro will be negligible until 50+ and just barely not negligible all the way until 60.

Not being always encumbered on a caster? Priceless.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:23 PM
Planar Protector

Agree that STR is highly underrated on INT casters. Human STR is decent though. 25/5 INT/STR split results in 80 starting STR which is very comfortable. I could even see going a 20/10 split for a nice 85 STR. But no more than that. STR jewelry is cheap and can be thrown on in the rare situations you're encumbered and can't sell. INT is your bread and butter as a caster. And people forget how much mana those 50+ Necro spells use (i.e. a root, a cast of Vexing and a cast of Pyrocuror is 1k mana right there). Obviously you can regen it pretty quickly, but extra mana is always helpful, from 1-60. I remember very well leveling my Necro and getting an unlucky string of resists on snares/fears and finishing many kills with almost zero mana left in the tank. And at higher levels a little extra mana to play with can be an entire extra cast of Deflux to keep you alive when face tanking in a bad situation, or when you're throwing out tons of roots when attempting to charm break a room.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
even Necros and Shaman (with WIS--
this guy gets it
Old 06-28-2021, 02:48 PM
Banned

All STR

Rest INT

Human Necros are the best necros because style is all that matters
Old 07-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Aviak

as a necro, as with a lot of classes, you don't have full mana often. Most of the time you will be between 30-80% mana so what really matters is you mana regen, not your max mana, which necros excel at, esp if you try to have potg as often as possible.

seriously a necro with 2400mana does not level faster then a necro with 2000mana, it's nice to have that extra mana in your pocket but when your farming, the exp is flowing, and your bags are full, you'll wish you had extra str...

my druid doesn't even have head or face slots and crap in the rest, is 56 and heals just fine, but i never grp or solo without potg - it's the mana regen that really matters
Closed Thread