Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 04:11 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

1. To Dr3am (guy who says he got Thom Terrazas rustled with legal threats): Definitely believable. When I was on Zek (TSS era maybe?) somebody in a very active (and known) hacker guild figured out a way to hack SOE's gamewide MotD, and put a nice little vulgarity in there. SOE flipped, and basically comped him for disclosing the security hole by giving him a BIS zerker, on the condition that he wouldn't movelog it to Zek, where the raid guilds weren't even caught up to content that would provide that level of gear.

Of course, he movelogged the toon right away, and went around mopping people up in PvP with it. So stuff like this (SOE bribing people with toons to avoid drama) definitely happens, especially on PvP servers.

2. Worst thing that ever happened to me was I let a close friend (in EQ) have my Winter's Fury to play around with for an hour or two. It was a hell of a twink item then (from Skyshrine), and as I recall it was fetching around $225 on eBay. He never responded to a tell again, and I never saw the sword again. He was in an extremely goodie goodie roleplay guild, too, but everyone has their price, I guess. I learned my lesson, and frankly never ever shared account info or gear again for precisely this reason.

3. Worst thing I ever did was inadvertent. One time when I came back to the game after a break, I got a friend to give me a mostly-empty account that had vet rewards on it and refer-a-friend bonuses so I could use it to make/level up my new main. I played for a couple years after that, and then after I quit I guess I just forgot to cancel my recurring credit card subscription. My card expired a month or two later, and I guess my card issuer--if you try to charge an expired card shortly after it has expired--lets the charge go through, but then charges it back if the cardholder doesn't call them to confirm the charge. I was traveling abroad at the time, and didn't get their messages, so they charged it back.

As you may know, SOE hits chargebacks very very hard with the ban hammer, so they actually banned every account that had ever been logged in from the same IP address. The friend who originally gave me the account was a multi-boxing EverQuest obsessive who could take down raid encounters on his own, and he instantly lost every one of his accounts to a ban. Years later he thanked me for inadvertently solving his EQ addiction, but at the time he thought I had ruined his life, and I felt pretty bad about it.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Aviak

Left my computer on in ec tunnel for almost 2 weeks on xev server until i became moderator of the trade channel (i dont remember how that happened exactly, i think it was time spent in channel).

Proceeded to lock said channel and people had no channel to auction for almost 2 days before gms reacted.

Received RL death threats on my main for almost a month following that event.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Fire Giant

Me (kabijito) the enchanter and a few random high ranking players on tunare server
Kept crashing crystallo's to spawn dragons and other names for 6 hours
Before Sony issued a emergency patch to fix it
The zone was to ourselves when sof was fresh-ish
And was caused by casting the enchanter dragon mana sieve on anything in the zone
We got much loot

I also used mq2 Map system for the first and only time during classic through planes of power On fippy darkpaw server. Never teleporting mind you.
The server was rough
Old 10-09-2016, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

Love reading all the stories about Rallos Zek, because I definitely did half those things
Closed Thread