Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 06:10 AM
Large Bat

Default how can i get into this game?

im only 19 but it just seems so damn cool, the root of gaming. i remember watching my dad play wow when i was a little kid and this game is like wows dad! but every time i think about getting into it i just dont end up playing....
Old 05-19-2021, 09:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavitael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im only 19 but it just seems so damn cool, the root of gaming. i remember watching my dad play wow when i was a little kid and this game is like wows dad! but every time i think about getting into it i just dont end up playing....
Literally purchased my first Win98 PC to play.

I had a bank loan for the Gateway computer at 18 years old, working full time so EQ was just in the evenings after work, plus the monthly phone line bill for my dial-up internet, and the montly bill for the game itself, $9.89 which was a reference to 989 Studios.

That was just the monetary responsibilities. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Today its free, can be played on a 15 year old pawn shop laptop.. or if you are skilled, on a tablet-like device. There are no monthly fees, everything is figured out. The real thrill of cutting edge 3D worlds and the advancement of online play is diminished as every kid that is 20 years old today has never known a world without high-speed internet.

No motivation. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-19-2021, 10:33 AM
Planar Protector

Everything you need to install the game: https://wiki.project1999.com/Everque...allation_Guide

Everything you need to know to learn the game: https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:21 AM
Banned

I started EQ when I was about 15. Still fun as hell

if you need someone around your age (23), I'll be able to help you out

Send a tell to Azile in game

discord: tunabros#3913
Old 05-19-2021, 01:44 PM
Kobold

I was in the same boat as you a while ago. I discovered what Everquest was at all three years ago when I was 17. I was getting frustrated with World of Warcraft so I installed P99. Of course I was hit with the fucking whiplash of how different EQ was (MUCH slower combat, stiffer spell animations, mobs your level being usually impossible to kill, no map, bag system, spell scrolls)

All the game's negatives are outweighed by its positives. Everquest spells are creative and interesting, classes have a variety of different non-DPS uniqueness (buffbot shamen, CC master enchanters, wizard raid portals, the guild of druids that use their group portals to roleplay as taxis for money)

The dungeon system is INFINITELY better too. In wow and wow clones you match up with randoms to clear a 10 minute straight lines of boss kills and get showered with loot then leave. In Everquest dungeons are non-instanced, non-linear zones the size of entire player cities (massive enough to fit multiple groups farming at the same time), with multiple rooms of respawning adds and bosses being more like rare mobs. You go there with your group, and you camp a room as it respawns for a xp or for loot. I prefer it because of how real and bustling with people and things dungeons feel as opposed being forgettable disneyland rollercoasters you get in and out of with your brain turned off.

If there is one singular thing I want you to remember about EQ is that it's exponentially more fun than any other MMO BUT the fun kicks in multiple months after you start playing. Because at first you will die a lot, and the first 15 levels of any class is a boring slog since you don't get any unique moves, but I promise you after that bottleneck you'll leave your starting zone to start exploring and that's when you'll have the time of your life.

Check out how varied EQ's mob grinding zones are.. Just looking at the screenshots is enough to make me want to log in rn
https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 05-19-2021, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

^

Half way through reading and its a 10/10 so far. Speaking my language.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: One helpful new guy tip, when you reach your first EQ Dungeon do not go Away From Keyboard at the zone in.
You might come back to an awful surprise but a good learning experience.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 05-19-2021 at 05:40 PM..
Old 05-19-2021, 07:39 PM
Large Bat

thanks for everything you guys have said, its hyped me up

i cant decide what class and race to play though
Old 05-19-2021, 09:33 PM
Aviak

I would suggest a Druid as your first character. They’re pretty decent at melee early on and they’re very adaptable to situations. They also get utility that encompasses the mechanics of almost every class so you’ll end up with a good foundation of how the game is played from a lot of different perspectives.

Starkind has mentioned on a previous thread the benefit of choosing a Druid as your first character is that you can port for money, buff lowbies and make friends with them. Another benefit is the ability to solo loot camps to twink your ranger/sk/pally.

It’s very frustrating to play a ranger/sk/pally as a newb at this state of the servers with no gear, sure a veteran can get by but even the majority of them get a full caster to 60 when returning before twinking the melee they really want to main but I highly discourage this to a new player.

I get it, you want to be a face punching warrior with some arcane abilities, just chill- Druids are capeable at punching faces till 20’s. If you really hate the idea of a Druid go with wizard, you won’t have as great of a foundation and sofar it’s quite a bit harder then Druid soloing but you can, and you will have friends from porting.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:39 PM
Aviak

I highly discourage starting fresh(not a plat, and especially not a Dragon Kill to your name) any melee class.

I encourage any full caster to 60, and if your real heart is a melee class: a Porter to 40’s when they have all ports so you can take some 30-40 loot camps to help your melee out and make plat porting.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:43 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavitael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i cant decide what class and race to play though
Avoid melee classes like the plague as a rule of thumb. They're way harder to play than magic users, they're very gear dependent and most of them have XP penalties. Plus the sheer convenience and quality of life of having a Gate spell (like the hearthstone) as well as Invisibility and Levitation makes healer/magic user an obvious choice for a beginner.

Druid is objectively the best option for a new player who wants to try a bit of everything, and once you're comfortable enough with the game play whatever you want.

Once you're high level and feel like making alts you'll realize gear is not soulbound in EQ so if you're rich enough you can even buy raid weapons and finally make melee classes viable.

23 y/o forever DM and old school fantasy nerd - Discord: midoo
Odym Drekk
- 54 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 52 BAR WAR (alt)

Closed Thread