Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 12-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Default Lich Form should block Quivering Veil of Xarn

I did some searches on the forums and did not see anyone bring this up, but apparently Quivering Veil of Xarn has a 'change form component' so should not take hold if Lich Form is up. It would require you to manually drop Lich form before casting.

Evidence:
http://web.archive.org/web/200208170...ML/000362.html

Quote:
Thank you for making this spell not night time only, also thank you for adressing so many of the other necro concerns. However there is still one small problem with xarn, it does not stack with lich. Thus if you have lich up and try to cast xarn it does not take effect. Please at least make it overwrite lich.
Quote:
Both spells have a 'change form' component. Change form spells no longer stack under any circumstances. Making exceptions might not be a great idea, but we'll take a look at it some time in the future.
Quote:
Quivering Veil of Xarn is an escape spell....how can I use it when I have lich 100% of the time up and it does not overwrite it?
It means that I would have to click down lich and cast Quivering Veil of Xarn......but thats takes way too long.
Please I do NOT ask for it to stack, all I ask that Quivering Veil of Xarn should OVERWRITE any other form-change spells.
Quote:
We understood the request that it overwrite Lich. As I said, we'll have to look into that later as it would require an exception in code for this spell, not just a change to the spells themselves (I suspect that didn't make as much sense as I think…). Basically, you're asking for a single spell to be exempt from the existing rule system for all spells, and that would require some code to be written for that spell, not just a change in the spell database. That won't happen right now, our programmers are very busy. And before making any exception to any rule we'd want to look at it with a bit of care.

The spell is now much more available than it was before. Not all necromancers have lich up 100% of the time. In any case, the stacking restriction existed before we took away the night only restriction, so you couldn't have used it with Lich up anyhow. And we'll look into the idea of allowing it to overwrite other transformation spells (and that would mean ALL transformation spells, I suspect) in the future.
Those dev posts were dated 10/26/2001.

Current behavior of these 2 spells on P99 are as follows:

1) Necro has Lich on and can cast Quivering Veil of Xarn
2) The 'buff icon' of Lich is replaced with Quivering Veil of Xarn
3) Necromancer maintains their Lich appearance for the full length of the Xarn spell
4) Once Xarn wears off the illusion is dropped and necro reverts to their natural form

I don't believe this was fixed until March 2002, this is the only reference I found:
http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-3855.html

Quote:
Necromancers' Quivering Veil of Xarn has been improved.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:50 PM
Banned

luv Absor where is that guy now
Old 12-30-2017, 02:15 AM
Planar Protector

Leave the trolling out of it Mr Konfetti, as Daldaen pointed out I already saw that the spell is slated to have the night only restriction removed at appropriate spot in timeline as confirmed by Nilbog, so didn't bother mentioning it.

My bug posts are on both sides of the fence too, so stop complaining. Either way, improvement or nerf, you signed up to play on a beta server that is trying to mimic Classic EQ as close as possible.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

Just in case you were wanting additional confirmation this was never fixed in era, I found that below.

http://web.archive.org/web/200212251...ML/000463.html
Quote:
Quivering Veil of Xarn - please remove the illusion effect of this spell, then it would stack with our lich line and not conflict with illusion effects we might have up. It is not much of an emergency spell if I have to check to see if anything is going to block it. Until the illusion is removed it will never be as usefull as our 20th lvl Harm Shield.
Quote:
Illusion spells cannot be overwritten, which is why Veil of Xarn will not overwrite Lich form spells. While I understand the desire to make it simple to use this spell, in the long run it's those that can use their spells the best that make the best casters.
Posts were dated 1/22/2002. Also note that it is not entirely correct that illusion spells cannot be overwritten, Fear spells should be overwriting illusions (another bug report that was submitted).

Edit: found the actual patch where the illusion was removed from Quivering Veil of Xarn to fix stacking issues, it was the 2/13/2002 patch:
http://web.archive.org/web/200212251...ML/000490.html

Quote:
I have it on good authority that we missed mentioning the following in the patch message:
* Try Levant at high noon - You'll like it.
* QVoX had the illusion removed to fix stacking issue.

Just in case you don't know about it already.
Last edited by Rygar; 01-07-2018 at 01:15 AM..
Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 AM
Sarnak

Bump. Quivering Veil SHOULD NOT BE NIGHTTIME ONLY
Old 09-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Sarnak

Bump still nighttime only.