Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Half Elf Mith Marr and start the game at war with the Freeport Militia (or whatever else you feel like doing). Min-maxing on a dead-end emulation of ~ 3 years of a still active 22 year-old game seems kinda silly.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekk99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are people's thoughts on playing a Half-Elf paladin who doesn't worship Tunare?
My ranger went with Karana, which meant losing out on Helm of the Tracker. No regrets. Yes, it has decent enough stats and fashion, but there will always be alternative options; deity is permanent, though it would have been a cool feature/questline, to allow players to renounce their faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekk99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The other question is related: what are people's favorite paladin dieties? I feel like Mithaniel Marr is the best fit for a paladin, to the extent that choosing Tunare for the ND almost doesn't make sense. I mean, nothing in the description for Tunare sounds relevant to a paladin, and also, like, c'mon, nature paladins?
In terms of flavor, think of a Tunare knight as an Oath of the Ancients paladin. The traditional warrior/cleric, but with some druid thrown in.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:04 PM
Fire Giant

Erollsi Marr Human (or HE if you must) for the pink plate imho. Karana is also a hip choice with a whole thunder guild in Qeynos iirc. But I enjoy the more subversive deity choices.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

High elf for super min max cha build.
Dwarf for ultimate twink build
Half elf for best fashionquest, humans as a runnerup.

I went erudite and regret it, they look weird in velious armor especially with the bugged helms.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:30 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half Elf Mith Marr and start the game at war with the Freeport Militia (or whatever else you feel like doing). Min-maxing on a dead-end emulation of ~ 3 years of a still active 22 year-old game seems kinda silly.

That was actually the first character I ever created back in the day (12 year old me thought that combo and backstory was the coolest thing ever).
Old 09-27-2021, 11:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In terms of flavor, think of a Tunare knight as an Oath of the Ancients paladin. The traditional warrior/cleric, but with some druid thrown in.
That's fuckin boss. Very sensible way to blend nature into the paladin ethos. I take back what I said earlier.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

oh somehow i missed this thread

Tunare is a top choice, but not the only top choice. Nature paladin makes a great deal of sense, particularly as the elves live near the evil dwarves and their destructive mining operations. What is it about saving the world that doesn't sound very paladin to you?

Prexus is sort of okay I guess, but why would any erudite worship some lame water deity when you could instead fight for the high virtue of peace? Quellious is a much more paladin god, and the roleplay more interesting. What sort of paladin would want to share a god with drunken pirates, anyway? The true "hipster" paladin is the Quellious erudite bc people assume all erudites are Prexus for some reason. Erudites are the only paladins that can worship Quellious, which seems wrong somehow.

Erollisi Marr is a top choice imo, up there with Tunare and Quellious. Good choice for a true romantic, as any paladin should be. There is perhaps no ideal greater than love, and the roleplay of a paladin with love in their heart comes easy and makes sense.

Karana is okay, probably ranks about with Prexus. Now that I'm thinking about things, it seems odd that we have a water god and a rain god. Rain brings life, while storms and floods take it away. Karana seems like a fickle sort of god.

Mithanial Marr is boring. Basic bitch paladin deity. Top choice if you're unimaginative. His sister is cooler.

Rodcet Nife is a super interesting choice, better than the water gods imo. Especially in the age of covid, the eradication of disease and such is a truly noble goal for a paladin. Good roleplay opportunity, with Qeynos being lowkey in civil war bc Bertoxxulous. You literally get to worship a sci-fi extraterrestrial god in a legit flying saucer, which is fucking awesome.

Brell Serilis is a false god who has shadow knights and necromancers in his dark legion. Only races of severely low intellect have been coerced into following this cult icon. He often afflicts his followers with alcoholism, both to bring out their inherent sadism and to maintain their self-delusion concerning the "virtue" of their evil deeds.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

I think Karana is more of an air god / all weather god verus prexus being classic ocean god.

I wish more races / classes got more diety options but the dieties are often very racial in everquest (which is part of the game, so OK) but ya know, it would be fun to be a dwarf that gets to worship E-marr just like wood elf warriors can worship rallos zek and a bunch of other dieties.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

I think Prexus is a perfectly fine diety for a paladin. It offers the sea biome to Tunare's earth. If one is a valid path (ie nature pally) the other is as well. Plus the entire Fiery Defender is based on Deepwater Knights. While not an exact "Prexus" faction it pretty much links that diety to the lore. They could have picked another faction but they didn't.

Most of the diety's in this game are underdeveloped at this point. Pragmatically besides some shiny mid-range armor it's racially locked items: Frostreaver, Shield of Stalwart Seas, Natures Defender, that mediocre 1h from Plane of Sky, etc. Pick the deity you like knowing the functional perks (if any) that offers you.

Like in real life though, cornering someone and explaining the lore of your deity choice is truly obnoxious. It might be worse than giving someone gameplay tips for their own class. Just keep that as your own little secret and don't hand out pamphlets....
Old 09-28-2021, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Valkur

Quote:
Valkur
(Lesser deity)
Basic information
Title(s)
Captain of the Waves

Symbol
Cloud with three lightning bolts on a shield[2]

Valkur (pronounced: /vɑːlˈkʌr/ val-KURR[13]), the Captain of the Waves, was an exarch of Tempus,[14] patron of sailors,[5] ships, favorable winds, and naval combat.[13]
Quote:
Worshipers
Clergy
The church of Valkur was loosely organized. Many clerics served as captains or sailors aboard ships and they usually met each other only if they happened to serve on the same ship or be in the same port. The clergy was known for helping sailors who were down on their luck.[13]

Monastic Order
The Order of the Calming Wave was founded by a group of pirates from the Sea of Swords who abandoned their worship of Umberlee after a particularly dangerous storm. They believed that they survived by Valkur's hand and dedicated their life to serving their new deity and growing the monastic order.[15]

Holy Days
Valkur's church celebrated only one holy day known as the Shattering. The exact date of the festival varied but it was always celebrated in the spring. The purpose of the festival was to celebrate the breaking up of ice floes in the north, which marked the beginning of the sailing season.
Closed Thread