Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Aviak

Default What compels you to help/not help people?

I have been thinking about how I have been playing the game as of late. I find myself helping people more than I level. This is my own choice though, obviously i get some kind of entertainment out of it, otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I am not a rich p1999 player. I've been helped here and there, I have an 18 druid and 26 shadowknight. My PP total at any given moment will be between 50pp-200pp, never have more than that.

Yet, when I am in gfay on my lvl 18 druid or 26 sk, (Unrest/Mistmoore area) I give out PP here and there to new players for spells. Or give them the extra item I am not currently using. Sure it is only 5 and 10pp, but when you are poor, it is a lot, lol.

I will wander in Crushbone on my 26 SK and pull mobs for groups of lower levels, sometimes for up to an hour, just for the heck of it. Not sure what satisfaction I am getting, but somehow I am enjoying myself. I will also sit at Orc Lift, or Newb Lift, offering buffs for anyone who wants them, 30 minutes at a time if not more sometimes. I will offer to find anyone's body near Gfay too with my SK if they have lost it.

I will sit in EC on my druid, and SoW ANYONE, and EVERYONE. I mean, if I see you running, and you are slower than SoW speed, I will chase you down, get a good deal in front of you so that I can SoW you without you stopping (because sometimes people just don't pay attention and stop.) I don't expect a tip, I rarely get one and that is OK, I don't feel I am doing it trying to get money, but just to be helpful.

What compels me to do this? Am I getting some sort of satisfaction knowing that I am "making someone's day"? Or just "helping and making a difference"? I think that is why? But not exactly sure.

What about you guys? What compels you do pull for lowbs. Or give out PP or items? Or run around newb zones and buff people, handing out HP buffs, Mana Regen, HP regen, whatever!

------------------

Let's flip the coin. What makes you not want to help? I understand druids/enchanters/wizards/clerics going anon so they aren't bugged for ports, clarity or what have you. But if you are just sitting there, selling items, why not give someone a buff if they are asking in local chat for some?

My main run-ins with this is in EC while I buff and attempt to sell my items no one seems to want, lol.

People asking for clarity, breeze, SoW, skin buff, what have you. There are tons of people just sitting there, or just randomly running around in circles, trying to sell their wares.

Why not just click 1 button to SoW/Breeze someone? Why just ignore them all? You have mana, you have the buff, you are just sitting there, why not simply move your hand less than an inch and click the button to help someone out?

I am not talking about giving out free items to beggars, or free PP to lowbs, I am mainly just talking about the buffage. I have not really had many 50/60s, so maybe I just am not "numb" or "tired of" buffing people yet, and perhaps when I do get that high I won't buff people either, (but I doubt it, my current main goal is to get to 29 so I can at least limitedly port people around! (and maybe make some coin doing it :P)

--------------
So anyways, I am just curious!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Skeleton

SUPREME BOREDOM!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Walls of text.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Sarnak

My best guess is the person might be ninja AFK.

I am really guilty of this. I ran upstairs to get my son who woke up from his nap just today, and came back into my office three hours later.. only to realize I was logged in sitting at the EC tunnel the entire time. I think I had my AFK tag up (at least.) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I know a few people who log into EC while tabbed out at work, so they can 'tab in' and check auctions.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Developer

This is how I usually play. I enjoy helping others in Classic EQ because you actually can affect someone. Other games you can't buff or hand out gear that makes a difference to them due to all the restrictive fairness garbage.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Banned

I usually don't help ogres or trolls
Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Planar Protector

Asked for a Robe of the Spring and ES BP simply so I could ninja buff low level players.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Kobold

When I'm in EC,(on shaman main, usually), Im AFK 94.3% of the time, and checking back in every so often to check replies/shill more.. People ask for buffs constantly, and if they catch me at the right time, they get em. I rarely reply to buff requests because most of the time they run off before I get back to the comp..

Additionally, I'm more inclined to give more buffs to people if they aren't twinked..
Old 12-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Aviak

I've helped a shit-ton of peeps here and there...given away lots of relatively good noobie items and who knows how much pp, mainly to counter balance all the help i never received on live.

I'm out.
Mrtwig
Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Kobold

I don't mind helping people, just not the beggars. I barely have any plats and my enchanter is still wearing cloth with a +7 CHA and a Rod of something at level 17 that a druid gave me for selling him 50 bear skins so he could do leather paddings for tradeskills.

I got to level 16 last week and have been casting breeze on every person who can use it everywhere I go. It feels nice when someone thanks you for it.
Closed Thread