Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:45 AM
Orc

Default Bard ramblings

So I’ve been playing p99 off and on for a few years now, never really progressing into the “late game”. I’ve finally managed to get my bard up to 54, probably because of the ease and speed of swarm kiting. Not to worry though, I’ve spent plenty of time in groups as well. Pulling, mezzing, regening, even occasionally dpsing. I love my bard and I really enjoy using the power of song to help my group mates perform well, massacring the same poor mobs for hours on end.

One thing that has bothered me, however, is the sort of immersion breaking idea of twisting my songs. If you heard a guy singing four different songs at once, alternating between them every 3-4 seconds, whipping out his tambourine then suddenly replacing it with a lute moments later it would, to be frank, sound like shit. While this hasn’t stopped me from reveling in the joys of twisting and all the fun things it allows us bards to do, I’ve wondered if there isn’t a better way to represent the songs themselves as they are being twisted.

The idea that I have adopted to help cope with this is one that replaces our songs with chords, or perhaps melodies. Instead of imagining my bard switching between songs, I imagine him playing one continuous song that changes slightly depending on the current needs. If, say, I’m twisting my cantana and chorus it is a soft, soothing song with light melodies trickling over graceful chords which put our mana users minds’ at ease. Then, oops, what’s that? Our monk fucked up his pull again and we are facing a mob of angry bipedal lizard skeletons? My song shifts into a refrain of odd plucks of lute strings, confusing our undead suarian foes. Soon I add fierce crescendos of sound which bolster our melee fighters as they hack the one poor skellie that has been left unmezerized apart. As the battle continues and more enemies perish I begin moving into a lighter chord structure that leaves my group feeling refreshed as their wounds begin to mend. Finally, the last adversary is dispatched and it’s back to the soft, soothing melodies and trills that provide our poor, mana addicted cleric with the goods to get through another camp session. He swears he could quit the stuff whenever he wants. But I think we all know better.

To do this I obviously have to ignore the names of the abilities I am using. Almost all of them clearly show that they are individual songs in of themselves. But that won’t stop me from using my imagination to provide myself the satisfaction of knowing my bard doesn’t sound like a frantic lounge singer with severe short-term memory loss.

In conclusion, I work seasonally and have been away from the world of Norrath for almost two months now. I have a lot of time to think about nothing in particular so this must be the result of such ponderings. So, I ask you bards: have you considered this dilemma? If so, what have you done to rationalize song twisting? If not, what’s your deal?

Thanks for your time.

-Ponykeg
Last edited by Talon; 09-04-2018 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 09-04-2018, 04:13 AM
Fire Giant

Please tell me you trolling :-)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Kobold

a true RPer doesn't twist songs 10/10 thread
Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Banned

It's possible to play 100 songs at the same time IRL
Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 AM
Kobold

Maybe it's quodlibet? Overlaying multiple songs over one another just so precisely so that they don't clash.

For example, Quodlibet from Bach's Goldberg Variations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWCwAPf1C9A

Glenn Gould's 1955 Star Spangled Banner/God Save The Queen Mashup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mk-hgA1mI

Milhaud's 14th and 15th string quartet are stand alone pieces but are also sometimes played at the same time to make an Octet. The Octet version sounds terrible in my opinion though. It seems improbable that bard songs each sound okay by themselves and in combination with each of the other bard songs or in combination with 3 or 4 or 5 or however many you can twist. Maybe the bard transposes certain songs into other keys or shifts them up a 3rd or whatever interval is needed so the songs don't clash.

Playlist with the 14th and 15th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRd1...9u5m-I&index=4

14th + 15th played at the same time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b89IdsdEBA
Old 09-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Orc

I have never heard of quodlibet, Ralexia. It is very interesting! But you are right, it is improbable that a bard would be able to do this well past 2 or maybe 3 songs. We have ~16 seconds to squeeze in four/five different songs which while remaining distinct also mesh well enough with each other not to sound like a total mess. It’s hard to imagine a person capable of this with just their voice and lute, though I hesitate to say it because certain very talented and dedicated people are capable of amazing things. And Norrath is a very magical place! Our mundane ideas of what is possible/probable would likely seem very limited to one of its denizens.

On a side note, does anyone know if song twisting was something originally intended by EQ’s developers? It’s hard to imagine eq bards without the ability to twist. It defines the class. But I find it hard to believe they went into making the class with twisting in mind from the get go.
Closed Thread