Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Aviak

Default Druid am I doing it wrong?

I played at launch and just came back to play again. Originally I had played a Druid and thought it be awesome to try again and see what I can do.

Just hit 14 last night and been mostly solo since I honestly don't know what the heck I should be doing when grouped.

My heal sucks so I sure as heck ain't keeping anyone alive and my DoTs don't seem to last because mobs die too fast.

So what am I expected to do when I get into a group? Right now I just buff and melee mobs down with the tank.

Maybe I'm just missing key spells to help me with my role in a group... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Up to like lvl 15-20, everyone can melee to pretty good results. You have bonus heals, harmony, root, snare, some dmg spells.

If anything, you should be pulling
Old 11-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played at launch and just came back to play again. Originally I had played a Druid and thought it be awesome to try again and see what I can do.

Just hit 14 last night and been mostly solo since I honestly don't know what the heck I should be doing when grouped.

My heal sucks so I sure as heck ain't keeping anyone alive and my DoTs don't seem to last because mobs die too fast.

So what am I expected to do when I get into a group? Right now I just buff and melee mobs down with the tank.

Maybe I'm just missing key spells to help me with my role in a group... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druids are a bit of a roller coaster through the levels in groups since the content periodically outpaces the healing spell they have. They can be tough in the mid to late teens because the content outpaces their heal until they get a more powerful one at 19.

A Druid from 14-18 is a mix of buffs, CC (via root and harmony - don't underestimate the value of someone with harmony in the group to keep from pulling adds (way better than the Enchanter having to worry about people breaking their mez!) and roots can be just as valuable for helping a tank keep aggro or crowd controlling a multiple aggro situation), and healer. For damage, use your DD spells, not DoTs; it's not a lot of DPS, but at least it's something. You can also cast your DS on the tank, which will add a decent amount of indirect DPS from you.

In a group at level 14 where you're likely killing mobs below that level, your heal should still be technically okay although not ideal. As you level up a bit more toward 19, it will become more difficult. It will still be possible to be a healer in the group if it's a well organized group where there aren't multiple mobs beating on the tank, but there is going to be more downtime because you're going to need to med a lot more (and pre-Kunark when Enchanters get Breeze at 16, this medding can take awhile). You're really more of an off healer that provides other helpful benefits to a group.

If you are killing animal mobs, such as the crocs group in Oasis for example, you can Charm a pet to help with DPS as well. Druids can do a lot in groups to supplement their off healing abilities (the exception to this is the 40-50 range where a level 29 healing spell really won't help much as an off heal, so you're a lot less valuable to a group despite your other utility).
Old 11-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

If you are healer.. you buff and heal. If you aren't healer.. DS the tank, nuke, and if required CC mobs with root off to side. Dots are too slow for most mobs in groups as you said. Snare mobs so they don't run into other mobs when fleeing. You can also backup heal and/or heal random damage to other players and let main healer take the tank. Your class is a jack of all trades that can do a lot for a group!

At 14 I am one of the rare people who say don't melee. Meditate and use nukes if extra mana and keep spare. It's better to have some mana stored in case things go bad and you have to heal to keep group up. I like to play safer so my group doesn't train anyone or have a wipe. I group with clerics that melee and when things go wrong say OOM immediately... please don't be that type.
Last edited by bum3; 11-20-2019 at 12:48 PM..
Old 11-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

The most valuable thing you can be doing as a druid is keeping damage shield on anyone taking damage 100% of the time. There's nothing more important to be doing with your Mana, unless you're the healer, then keeping the damage shield up. strength buffs are hugely important as well especially early on when everybody has super shity weapons and terrible damage
Old 11-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The most valuable thing you can be doing as a druid is keeping damage shield on anyone taking damage 100% of the time. There's nothing more important to be doing with your Mana, unless you're the healer, then keeping the damage shield up. strength buffs are hugely important as well especially early on when everybody has super shity weapons and terrible damage
Right-on man... DS early lvls is your highest dmg nuke by far!
Old 11-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Only one has mentioned the snare. I think snare and damaged shield are the best things.

-Blue-
Atychi - 23 Necromancer
Atych - 27 Druid
Old 11-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Kobold

Kind of depends on the content your doing.

You can do maintenance heals with your little heal but in a shit's hitting the fan situation you're going to struggle.

I'd DS your mellees and do what damage you can, ideally. Backup/maintenance heals. It's not great, but I've done some groups in the lower levels.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:29 PM
Sarnak

First off, figure out your role in the group.

There are certain things you can do that few others can do. Spirit of the Wolf is the first.
The puller's going to want it, and if the camp is dangerous, everyone else. If there's a shaman in the group - offer to do it instead of them. They have a pile of buffs they can give that you can't. The other one is STR.

Damage shield on the MT is another big win. If there's a mage, you can let them do it instead, save your mana.

Is there another priest class? You're probably damage and utility then, with the occasional backup heal. If so...load up your DDs and rains and cast at least one per fight until you figure out the pacing. If you're higher on mana than everyone else, nuke more. (Don't rain if the enchanter is mezzing.)

You will most likely be called on to root / snare, so have those up. Druid snare does no damage, but druid root does have a DD component and will break mezmerise. You might be called to do crowd control.

If you're the only priest, you're the healer. Druid heals are 'worse' than cleric's (you get them one spell circle later), but regardless, you get to play the "use my blue to fill their red" game. It's boring at times, but if you keep your group too well-healed they will go pick bigger and bigger fights, and as a result the XP will flow.

DoTs are not super useful in a group, unless the fights are going long (which they shouldn't be at 14). You can drop those for now.

Druid is a 'hard' class to teach / learn because you have a lot of options. You can wear a lot of hats.

You can always ask your group. A good group will suggest where you fit. A bad group will bitch and whine and complain and possibly kick you out, and honestly...you don't need that.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:45 PM
Aviak

Honestly I feel like I can solo all the way to 60 and really run a one man show.

I mainly look forward to getting ports next and maybe using this toon to help friends lvl their alts.

I watched a Druid quading and it looked fairly straight forward so that should be fun when it opens up.
Closed Thread