Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:38 AM
Aviak

Recommend something like the Asus ROG with GTX1070 and SSD -- much cheaper than alienware but still pretty damn amazing for all games -- especially since the pascal GPUs are like 90% as fast as the desktop GPUs.

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-GL702VM-...01N6KLBR1?th=1

The problem going too cheap on gaming Laptops is you will find that it gets pretty sluggish after 1-2 years -- Spending the extra $400-500 can really make a difference in keeping something relevant for several more years.
Last edited by Celestias; 04-13-2017 at 01:42 AM..
Old 04-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Fire Giant

Alienware is owned by dell now anyway. Nothing special or amazing about a dell..

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Planar Protector

Do people replace parts in gaming laptops? That has to be more difficult, doesn't it?

What about things like thermal paste and making sure the cooling is still good after a year or two? Do people maintain them properly?

I've only ever had shit laptops honestly that can run P99 easily. Right now I'm running P99 from a netbook and it's fine. That's how low spec you can go.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Sarnak

What about this?
https://www.amazon.com/i5-6300HQ-key...=gaming+laptop
Old 04-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Banned

I see these looking for a 'decent' computer all the time

idk how to answer this, if you're looking for a decent one, go to the store and buy one, in the 'decent' range theyre all basically the same.

If you want an awesome one, then you should take advice, or if oyu want a good one, for a great deal.

But if you're just like, 'looking for a decent whatever' then just go get whatever looks like it isnt a piece of shit.

I recommend coursare products, but I dont think they make gaming laptops yet. Just go get an alien ware one or something that you think looks cool.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Banned

You know, I reccomend scowering your county for a computer shop...

I found out there is one in my town that builds computers by request and does it for basicadlly 100 bucks more than it'd cost to either build it yourself, or get a comparable one from a manufactuer.

Also they walk you though everything and totally are into it and build awesome machines.

Just find a shop or two and spend the afternoon visiting them and asking questions, it will pay off in the end and be a fun afternoon.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Sarnak

Desktops yes, no where local builds laptops on request. But my question was asking for people who had experience with companies who do build them... cyberpower PC, dell,ect.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Fire Giant

If your only concern is playing EQ, any laptop with a processor better than a pentium IV is going to be able to handle EQ. You could find a EQ-able laptop for probably $100 or less if that's all you plan on using it for (and maybe playing DVDs)

~Urrsa -60 Ogre Shaman-
~Gream -60 Dark Elf Cleric-
~Greame -60 Halfling Druid-
~Oppa -41 Dark Elf Enchanter-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar View Post
boxers are responsible for ruining EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
Rogean sits on his ivory throne and casts lightning bolts at anyone that disagrees with him or goes against the grain.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 AM
Aviak

Coming from a Alienware notebook and just built a kaby lake PC, have to ask why a notebook?

Heat while playing games was a serious issue along with the fact that mobile cpu-gpu's are throttled by temps . it's really not worth it. I just built a i7700k,1070gtx, new nvme hd monster with a 1ms refresh 27" monitor my mother could have put together from Newegg for 1500
Old 04-14-2017, 02:41 PM
Sarnak

Went with the
ASUS ZX53VW 15.6" Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA, GTX 960M 4GB, FHD, Intel Core i5-6300HQ, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, Backlit keyboard, Microsoft signature image, Anti-Glare Matte Display.
On amazon, was 779.00, I had a few gift cards laying around and with the points from amazon it only cost me $300. That includes the 2 year accidental warranty.
Closed Thread