Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 07-28-2023, 12:23 AM
Planar Protector

Default All undead should see through sneak

To be clear, I am not talking rogue hide/sneak, but standard sneak should not work on any undead.

I noticed this with a level 100 ranger on Live and thought it was curious. I began to investigate, I know Monks hand in epic pieces to Brother Balatin on P99 using sneak so looked at their alla page:
https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=4509

I should note that people do mention to sneak up to him, but this is just to reduce his frenzy radius i believe
Quote:
Without Sneak, Balatin immediately attacks
Quote:
1. He does aggro. This is bad. 2. He sees through sneak. This is also bad. 3. Phantom Echo no longer works on him.
Quote:
We try sneak, apparently nerfed, so, no sneak...
Quote:
I try getting behind him and sneaking, but that was a no go. Then I remembered the trick where you FD and hail as soon as you stand up; so I tried that. I got a response, but then he attacked me!
Note that last quote is June 2001.

They say to sneak, open trade window, feign death. Stand and immediately hit trade for success. They have a mention of "Phantom him" which is an out of era monk ability to essentially harmony a mob, but they still say this requires an IVU potion.

Other evidence slightly out of era:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040126...picID=59.topic
Quote:
Any special way you have to go in. (undead?) Do undead see thru sneak and hide?
Quote:
Yeah, do the undead side and use sneak/hide...nothing can see through sneak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Not entirely true. Try just sneaking up on a regular skelly sometime. Sneak does seem to have limitations (which I only found out in the last month or so)
I've found a lot of other evidence but from safehouse forums, some people argue not true and others adamant it is, but I believe a lot of the confusion is this is not for a rogue with both hide/sneak engaged, but sneak only.

Also confusion (which mentions in the thread) not everyone was aware some mobs will 'always scowl' but not attack, even when sneaking.

Here's the thread:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020120...topic&index=14
Old 07-28-2023, 08:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is absolutely not true. I use to sneak around lower guk back in the day all the time and none of those undead frogs saw through.
As a rogue?
Old 07-28-2023, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

I should say this warrants more in depth investigation. In Burning Woods a tottering gorilla and a moldering gorilla both became indifferent with sneak on, but other undead in the zone such as skeletons and a tatterback ape could see through sneak.

Edit: spawned another moldering gorilla but this one DID see through sneak. Perhaps there is a chance undead can see through sneak? Thus far all skeleton types have 100% seen through but the 'undead with flesh' seem to be inconsistent. Hmm...
Last edited by Rygar; 07-28-2023 at 10:20 AM..
Old 07-28-2023, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

Did you try unloading and loading back in to the zone to check on how the new gorilla conned to you with sneak?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 07-28-2023, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you try unloading and loading back in to the zone to check on how the new gorilla conned to you with sneak?
I don't believe there was any sort of zone load issue or any kind of client/server sync thing going on. I verified it was indifferent, sat behind it no attack. Other skeletons conned scowled and attacked, other gorilla conned scowl and attacked.

I'll want to test this more in a higher traffic area of undead zombie like & skeleton creatures, will probably try unrest and see what happens there over multiple quick spawns and at the least see if there is a percentage of 'see thru sneak' I can convey.