Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Kobold

i have said this on other threads, stopping the global ooc will hurt alot of players. it didnt bother me, would like the ability to turn it off.

i mainly liked the global auction, like other players waiting around in EC sucks just for never find what you were looking for.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Kobold

It's really quite simple:

The majority (incl. devs) agreed that global chat was a necessity in the early days of the server due to low server population (150-300 average at peak hours). The average population at off peak hours now is 150-300, so the same reasons / arguments are still just as valid now as they were then in regards to the situation for the off peak players.

The problem is, that the majority (mainly US players) couldn't care less about the woes of the minority (Europeans, Asians, Australians etc.). They are happy (most of them anyway) so fuck everyone else...

Sad...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaVeDK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The majority (incl. devs) agreed that global chat was a necessity in the early days of the server due to low server population (150-300 average at peak hours)
Actually, if you read back, my reasoning for it being kept on was so newer players could get technical assistance. Players that might have installed EQ out of the box, but can't get eqemu running out of the box. I have heard nothing about people having problems, so I assume it wasn't even that big of a deal. People seem to be able to read.

Never was it to maintain global conversations, try and find groups in ooc, or globally auction wares.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaVeDK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is, that the majority (mainly US players) couldn't care less about the woes of the minority (Europeans, Asians, Australians etc.). They are happy (most of them anyway) so fuck everyone else...

Sad...
It goes both ways. If global was reinstated, then players during peak hours get to deal with either the Super Spam Window of Death, or nothing at all if they filter the channels or shunt them to another window.

But after reading 8 pages of this, it seems nobody in the Off-Peak crowd seems to care about that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Unless I missed something along the way.

Personally, I'll adapt to whatever changes are made. Global OOC went away; so I either solo if I can, work on a Stein of Moggok run to fund my jewelcrafting, or sit in nice, central EC with /LFG on with a description of where I'd like to go and then either watch TV until I get tells, solo, craft, read, write, whatever. Sometimes I'll sit in the zone I'd rather play in. This is if I can't build a group after seeing who all is LFG and in the levels I'm looking for.

I really think if more group leaders would use /who lfg and a level range, and more people would use /lfg this could be a mitigating factor in not finding groups. but it will take an effort from both sides of the table.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only reason global ooc/auction is still on is because of the population difference from live versus our server now... and the fact that chat channels are not functioning properly.
So if chat channels still don't function properly and off-peak population is much less than "live" global OOC should be implemented.

From your fingers to the forums. The off peak players have a valid argument, the population is under 200 in off peak.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurid [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if chat channels still don't function properly and off-peak population is much less than "live" global OOC should be implemented.

From your fingers to the forums. The off peak players have a valid argument, the population is under 200 in off peak.
So what are you suggesting? That the channels only turn on at a certain point each day?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Project Manager

In context, that was 3 months ago. Since then I have also read a 55 page thread concerning the matter.

I also said this:
Quote:
The only resonating validity I can see for global chats is the helping of new people. They probably got eq to work out of the box.. but might not be able to get eqemu working without assistance.
Quote:
I still don't get the point, of why you need global ooc? Is it for your entertainment, groups, or auctions? Someone thoroughly explain this, instead of "I need/want this". If you're playing with 200 people, you're still going to be playing with 200 people with global ooc and auction.

How many people do you really think were in East Commons at 2 am, prekunark?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Kobold

Also... Read the rest of his post from that quote you pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only reason global ooc/auction is still on is because of the population difference from live versus our server now... and the fact that chat channels are not functioning properly.

I don't want people thinking it "won't go away", because it will eventually. That time cannot be determined by polling or arguing. It's a development decision that will be made.

There have been discussions that global chatting benefits this or that.. but honestly, all it does is give people the global ability to speak, which is non-classic. Since this is an emulated server and there are constant questions for installation/spells help, it has remained active.

There is a non-classic aspect that I would be willing to live with.. and that is the chat channels. If people could just /join general, it would alleviate some problems. The chat channels are broken, so that's not an option currently. Will they be fixed? Probably. Do I think people should "default" log on to global ooc/auction? No.
You quoted him saying the population limit was why it was still going back then, but you totally left out the next part (And the bit that he came in saying in this thread) about it being active for the technical help bits.

EDIT: Bah.. I'm so slow today. Nilbog is so speedy o.o
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
In context, that was 3 months ago. Since then I have also read a 55 page thread concerning the matter.

I also said this:
I still don't get the point, of why you need global ooc? Is it for your entertainment, groups, or auctions? Someone thoroughly explain this, instead of "I need/want this". If you're playing with 200 people, you're still going to be playing with 200 people with global ooc and auction.

How many people do you really think were in East Commons at 2 am, prekunark?
I think its an issue of logistics and communication. Like if youre looking for a group at 2am, you can almost see at a glance whats goin on in terms of grouping, some guys looking for a tank, some other group lookin for a CC. I dont have to be logged to my 18SK to see that a group is looking for a tank, so if nothing is happening on my druid, i can hop on my SK and say hey. That kind of thing is not going to happen with the way its currently working.

Theres also that ports are way easier to get with global. I think thats why the population dropped so drastically in SolB, went from a population that looked like non-raid 30+ often late at nights to 3 people last time i was there.

Groups are way easier to maintain if you can add in Global group looking for so and so class, and then the guy who needs a port can add for it in global and get there more easily.

For me the loss of OOC is no biggie, cuz im a porter. I can just go and check whats going on instead of askin in OOC, but thats not a luxury that other classes have.

I also have to admit that i dont log at nights anymore, cuz im bored, at least when OOC was there i could chat with people joking around until something happened, now its just dead. I just hang in the forums instead lol...

Having said all that, im not sure id want OOC back to global, i just hope it will work out and all that isnt gonna set a chain in motion that is going to make the pop drop more and more.

To be frank i didnt think the pop was high enough to cut global off, i thought the idea was to chop OOC but then add the custom channels Rog was working on on the test server, is that still planned to be implemented? Or did i misunderstand something?
Last edited by Taxi; 06-03-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Fire Giant

I play at all hours of the day. Peak, off peak, in between, whatever. I definitely think the offpeak people have a valid argument. Being able to "/ooc 20 rogue LFG" and have every group on the server be able to see that you are LFG, let people who are thinking of logging see that they might have a replacement, or maybe have some shaman see you and think "hey maybe we can duo"... Well that makes things a lot more convenient. Then when you find your group, being able to "/auction Paying 100pp for port to XYZ from ABC" means you can actually get to your group in a reasonable time without annoying the piss out of every druid on the server with tells.

Can the same be accomplished with LFG? Probably. If someone is sitting there spamming /who all lfg nonstop. Is it as efficient? God no.

Auction is now a chore on peak or off peak. Before I could /auction while I was farming something and then if I had a bite arrange to meet up with the player. Now I have to sit in a boring ass zone and hope the people wanting to buy my items or who are selling the items I want to buy is in the zone. EC tunnel was neat for about 30 seconds. Now it is a waste of my life (please note that when I am enjoying everquest I do not consider it a waste of my life).

Also the person who said something about afk campers was quite correct. The offpeak hours 200 people is 40-50 people AFK camping a raid encounter, 20-30 necros, enchanters, mages, and a few other random solo'ers, 20-30 people afk in the tunnel, 15 people afk everywhere else... And a remaining levelling population of about 75-100 people across 50 levels. Is it possible to consistantly find a group? Damn straight. Is it likely? Not really. Does global OOC change this completely? God no, but it certainly softens the blow a little.

Also, I don't give a shit personally for grouping purposes, I have a 50 necro and less people on means I have more shit to farm. I just like having people to chat with when I am doing it. The people QQing about spam need to grow up. You don't HAVE to read everything, you can ignore people, and if you are that incapable of just blocking that shit out, you can always disable the channel. *shrug*
Closed Thread