Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Fire Giant

Default Detrimental Spell Worn off messages

This was removed a few patches ago along with all other "spell worn off" messages. I believe this was unintentional (the target being to remove it from when a mob died) as we used to have messages indicating when a detrimental spell wore off back in the day. I remembered reading that this would be corrected and that spell wore off messages would once again be in game. Is there an time estimate on this? Is it on the list still? Thank you for all of your work!
-----------------------
Old 06-24-2010, 04:40 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Any updates here? Very frustrating with the super short pet buffs.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Sarnak

Agreed.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 AM
Fire Giant

Are there plans to fix this issue? It was openly acknowledged as something which was broken during a patch. There was a request for supporting evidence of what should be left in and I believe that this was provided. If the complexity is around leaving the wore off messages in but not for when a mob dies, can you please put back in the wore off messages (roll back this portion of the change in the patch) until a solution is found around removing the wore off messages when a mob dies? Please see the following thread... I also included several quotes from developers to help the point. This is quite important to many classes in the game. While I love a challenge, this doesn't add to the enjoyment since in the back of one's mind, it is known that this is broken.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumamgar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some worn off messages are classic. In particular, DoTs, roots, and snares always gave a worn off message. What isn't classic are buffs giving a worn off message. That was added in the patch on May 11, 2005.
It looks like Haynar was ONLY trying to remove the spurious Wore Off messages which were showing up when a mob died which had spell effects on it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The part I had worked on, now correct me if I am wrong, were the worn off messages that occur on death of a client or mob.

I do not remember getting any worn off messages when a mob died. That would have been a nightmare for debuffs on multiple mobs when I was playing my shammy, trying to figure out which slow just wore off.

Haynar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As always, we sometimes do go overboard, with what we intended. If we knocked out too many messages, we can always add them back to be consistent with classic.

Due to the complexity in some of the code, there can be many different paths which fire off a message. Or cancel a bard song, for that matter. I hate to say it, but you guys are sometimes our beta testers for patches. With our limited resources, it is often difficult for us to do regression testing for every change.

Please continue to provide feedback, and we will strive to always make the server better.

Haynar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumamgar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aug 2000 isn't when they added that you could change the color of text for buffs dropping, it's when they DOCUMENTED it. The feature was always there.
Quote:
Enchanters had to time mezzes in their head or with an egg-timer so they could remez BEFORE it wore off, not because there wasn't a message when it did.

There were definitely wore-off messages for mez, root and other detrimental effects from day one. There were *not* wore off messages for buffs and other beneficial spells.
-----------------------
Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Aviak

I hope thre is [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Developer

I have been thinking about this.

Yes, there should be detrimental worn off messages. They shouldn't occur on death.

I will try to come up with some sort of compromise on this.

Haynar
Old 06-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Planar Protector

Yay!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I have been thinking about this.

Yes, there should be detrimental worn off messages. They shouldn't occur on death.

I will try to come up with some sort of compromise on this.

Haynar
Can we get the change which broke the wore off messages rolled back in the interim. The only detriment is that the wore off messages will show upon the death of mobs. This is less damaging than having no wore off messages at all. Everyone would be very happy with this. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for your efforts!
-----------------------
Old 06-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Developer

It's kind of scary for enchanters when you have no idea if the root has worn off on the mob your charmed pet is on.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Kobold

i myself like the messages.