Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:41 AM
Fire Giant

Default New Players to P99...How did you find out about this?

It seems like we keep getting new people, consistently, almost every week or 2. How are the new people finding out about the server? Also, would love to hear how you’re enjoying it so far [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-22-2018, 02:11 AM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrAr9S--rsk

brought me here
Old 08-22-2018, 03:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I didn't play EQ back in the day. Hell, I didn't even bother getting a home computer until 2003, and then I got sucked into FFXI with some friends and didn't even think about other MMOs for years.

Several months ago I'd finally had it with FFXIV after years of trying to find some depth in it. I went back to XI for a while, trying to recapture some of the magic I felt back in 2003-2010, but the game is so different now and there wasn't any mystery for me left. So I decided to give retail EQ a try.

I played it for maybe a day or two and found it pretty clunky, and also incredibly barren (I wasn't playing on a TLP server). I started encountering videos about P99 when searching youtube for EQ vids, and most of the comments were pretty positive so I decided to give it a try.

It's mostly been ok. I get frustrated sometimes by how little I really understand the game, and I've struggled a bit to find a class I really enjoy. However the world and gameplay really interests me, so I just keep plugging away. I keep trying to get other people interested so that maybe I'll have someone to play with, but that hasn't really happened for me.

I created my account back in June, but didn't play for a few weeks after my first day, and then couldn't make up my mind what class to play, so I still have no real levels. I have a semi-abandoned level 20 Paladin, and a baby Enchanter and Cleric that I'm enjoying, but haven't grouped with yet.
Last edited by GRMurphy; 08-22-2018 at 03:42 AM..
Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 AM
Planar Protector

I'm not new, but when I did hear about it, it was from a RL friend who I played with on live back in the day.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Sarnak

This thread has potential to be a really great one if you expanded the question to all players. I’m interested in seeing how most heard about this server and why most decided to go through the process to be able to play (finding titanium client, installing and having the necessary files doesn’t take a genius but it does take a little effort). Personally I joined in 2014 when live was no longer enjoyable. Like most here I played original eq era and on and off since and was looking to “recapture” that feeling we have about it. Someone on live actually first mentioned this server and google helped me through the rest
Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Aviak

I've been on the server for over a year now but we found it after my brother and I were just reminiscing about our days playing in 1999-2000. After the conversation I just randomly searched twitch to see if anyone was playing. After watching some live eq I noticed a streamer who was playing a version that looked exactly as I remembered the game. I asked him why his looked old school and he gave me all the info. A few days later my brother and I were in.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not new, but when I did hear about it, it was from a RL friend who I played with on live back in the day.
How I learned about P99 as well. Made an account while on the phone with them still telling me about it.

-Mcoy
Old 08-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned

I remember hearing about Project 1999 from somewhere in like 2012.

I checked out the website and thought it was still in development.

Then months later, while bored, I decided to download and play EQ Live on Steam.

I made a froglok monk and leveled it to like level 20 maybe? Probably saw 4 people. Someone gave me an SoS.

Live had just enough nostalgic juju to get my gears turning and I researched P99 again and saw a picture of a full EC tunnel with tons of players.

The rest is history.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Was watching videos on Pantheon and read a comment about Project 1999.
Haven't played EQ in like 15 years.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Fire Giant

Still relatively new here, but I found out about this place by looking into current MMOs, deciding they all looked shitty, then wondering what became of EQ, not having played for many years. I stumbled upon "Mysteries of EverQuest", a great Kraddok video, and knew I had to play P99.