Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

What if I'm new but not necessarily an interesting person?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 PM
Sarnak

Being in ALS makes you more interesting!

Auld Lang Syne Discord - click here to join
Please read our charter and post in #new_applicants
Old 08-16-2018, 11:45 PM
Fire Giant

every necro and their mom say they are so versatile and useful in all situations and fit any group/situation/zones, i also say the same with my lvl 59 necro

but when you are on a diff class and your group is LF more. you hear necros LFG and you have second thoughts, you hear rog/shm/chanter/necro all LFG and u instantly omit necro

don't lie
Old 08-17-2018, 08:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
every necro and their mom say they are so versatile and useful in all situations and fit any group/situation/zones, i also say the same with my lvl 59 necro

but when you are on a diff class and your group is LF more. you hear necros LFG and you have second thoughts, you hear rog/shm/chanter/necro all LFG and u instantly omit necro

don't lie
This is very true. We are super versatile and a well played necro can really fill in the gaps and make a good group into a GREAT group. However we do not fill in the "primary" role in a group so other classes go over us.

Example:
Necros can DPS, but aren't the best DPS in a lot of group situations
Necros can CC (with root and screaming terror Necro's are surprisingly good at CC) but we aren't as good as a chanter or bard
Necros can pull, but most groups would rather have a monk, or other non caster class do so
Necros can heal, but not the most efficient class and best with a slower involved.

Necros don't slow, Necros don't tank, and our group worthy buffs are limited.

BUT.

As I said a necro is like the mortar to fill in the cracks of a good group. When a necro is in a group you keep everything moving. Doing decent dps, distributing mana, backup CC, backup heals, helping tag and split pulls. Essentially in many full group situations we are the premium oil that keeps the engine running as smoothly and efficiently as possible. We make the group better, and when the Shit hits the fan few classes can survive and get a group back up like us.

We do not add a whole lot of unique ability to most full groups. So we are rarely high on the "need this in our group" list.

Add to this a lot of Necros solo from 1-50+ and then when finally in a group situation have no idea how to play their class any other way and make a bad name for us all (but I'm not bitter).

As a necromancer you have to learn that basically you have multiple "play styles". In one group you might be charming undead and nuking. In another you might be applying fast dots and backup healing. Your toolbox is vast and requires a lot of situational awareness to really take advantage of what you can do.
Last edited by knottyb0y; 08-17-2018 at 08:39 AM..
Old 08-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyb0y [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is very true. We are super versatile and a well played necro can really fill in the gaps and make a good group into a GREAT group. However we do not fill in the "primary" role in a group so other classes go over us.

Example:
Necros can DPS, but aren't the best DPS in a lot of group situations
Necros can CC (with root and screaming terror Necro's are surprisingly good at CC) but we aren't as good as a chanter or bard
Necros can pull, but most groups would rather have a monk, or other non caster class do so
Necros can heal, but not the most efficient class and best with a slower involved.

Necros don't slow, Necros don't tank, and our group worthy buffs are limited.

BUT.

As I said a necro is like the mortar to fill in the cracks of a good group. When a necro is in a group you keep everything moving. Doing decent dps, distributing mana, backup CC, backup heals, helping tag and split pulls. Essentially in many full group situations we are the premium oil that keeps the engine running as smoothly and efficiently as possible. We make the group better, and when the Shit hits the fan few classes can survive and get a group back up like us.

We do not add a whole lot of unique ability to most full groups. So we are rarely high on the "need this in our group" list.

Add to this a lot of Necros solo from 1-50+ and then when finally in a group situation have no idea how to play their class any other way and make a bad name for us all (but I'm not bitter).

As a necromancer you have to learn that basically you have multiple "play styles". In one group you might be charming undead and nuking. In another you might be applying fast dots and backup healing. Your toolbox is vast and requires a lot of situational awareness to really take advantage of what you can do.

I agree with most of what you are saying except for a couple things.

Some classes require a large amount of skill to play, some do not. Warriors for example require an IQ of 40 (somewhat below chimpanzee). A necro on the other hand, just like a Bard needs to be constantly doing something at the right time to be a true Bad A. If the necro is doing everything right, there are few classes I would rather have. Unfortunately there are a lot of necros that send pet in half way through fight, use max duration dots at the wrong time, FD instead of CC, and they never heal.

The other thing I never did in groups is Twitch, at least not in a normal chain pulling scenario. It is so horribly mana inefficient I could never do it and feel good about myself. If the cleric was OOM I just shadow compact and lifetap like there's no tomorrow. Seriously the group is better off if a necro root rots the mob until the cleric or healer has saved up mana for heals.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:43 PM
Kobold

Keep in mind that when wizards are bashed on the forums, it's because of the following assumptions:

That there is no Bard/Enchanter in the group
The Wizard is mindlessly spamming their latest nuke (or doesn't manage mana)
The group has no access to high level buffs (which is quite rare considering most groups are alts)

Wizards can be very frustrating without mana regen and before Harvest, but are very competitive if played well and have C/C2/Bard regen. I never encountered a group that went out of their way to decline a wizard when I leveled one. People aren't as elitist/unreasonable in game as they are on the forums.

So the old adage of "play what you like" still rings true.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketu Garyx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being in ALS makes you more interesting!
I msgd ur discord server [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Banned

hmmm nvm! I'm not giong to restrict myself to cha classic cha gear only.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

Have you considered a BARD ALT? Not only are they one of the best grouping classes, they can also solo extremely well while waiting around LFG; and with a high level of versatility. Swarming, fear-kiting, dot-kiting, charm kiting.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faiding [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep in mind that when wizards are bashed on the forums, it's because of the following assumptions:

That there is no Bard/Enchanter in the group
The Wizard is mindlessly spamming their latest nuke (or doesn't manage mana)
The group has no access to high level buffs (which is quite rare considering most groups are alts)

Wizards can be very frustrating without mana regen and before Harvest, but are very competitive if played well and have C/C2/Bard regen. I never encountered a group that went out of their way to decline a wizard when I leveled one. People aren't as elitist/unreasonable in game as they are on the forums.

So the old adage of "play what you like" still rings true.
I have a high-40s Wizard and this has been MY experience with the class:

The MAIN problem with GROUPING as a Wizard is actually getting invited to groups. You'll have to be very proactive when LFG - sending lots of tells and/or going zone-to-zone advertising.

The only time I've EVER received a random tell asking me to come join a group has been from people on my friend's list whom I've grouped with several times before.
Closed Thread