Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Large Rat

yeah id definately play a bard for kunark if these kiting methods were fixed. kunark zones were built for this
Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Sarnak

leave it the same. I'm enjoying my charming.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

When you say you switch your instrument, do you physically have to click and swap them in your inventory or is there a command that you can use to swap them with a hot button?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

I swap them manually. It's not hard once you do it often. If there's a command to automatically switch them, I'd like to know also.

(the trick is probably to put your primary, secondary, and instrument bag slots on your hotbar so that you can switch instruments without having to open up your inventory)
Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Kobold

I'm confused about instrument swapping for the dots - it seems at least for the regen song, if you swap out your lute, the next tick of the regen song won't have the instrument bonus. Does it not work this way for the dots? Apart from getting that initial higher damage, it doesn't seem like swapping out instruments is going to help that much, but again I may just not be fully understanding. (only lvl 8 bard atm)
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryhole [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm confused about instrument swapping for the dots - it seems at least for the regen song, if you swap out your lute, the next tick of the regen song won't have the instrument bonus. Does it not work this way for the dots? Apart from getting that initial higher damage, it doesn't seem like swapping out instruments is going to help that much, but again I may just not be fully understanding. (only lvl 8 bard atm)
The way it worked on live, and the way its supposed to work here is, if you have the correct instrument equipped when the cast message hits, the instrument bonus lasts for the entire duration of the song. This should work all the time with the exception of if you play the song again, with the wrong instrument, before the first casts duration is up you lose the bonus. Instrument swapping works here on P99, but not always, still have it not work sometimes if I swap out instruments at the last second. However, for the most part, it works as its supposed to.

Swapping instruments for dots while AE kiting is key. Brass for DDD, Strings for CoD. Nice to get a regen tick in with lute as well, but getting double dmg from DDD is needed, especially if youre going to take hits when you swing in to cast it.

-Morgn
Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

This is a really good write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jete [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I joined IB they were hardly recruiting bards because they said, "What can they offer us besides mana song?"
They seriously thought this?

How about the best resists in the game with a drum equipped?
Do a raid with a bard in each group twisting 2 resist songs and you basically have yourself easy mode.

/facepalm

Anyway, for raiding all this swarm kiting stuff isn't nearly as useful as the buffs that bards can provide. I can't imagine anyone not understanding the value of a bard in 2010... maybe back in 1999.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganTPSO [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The way it worked on live, and the way its supposed to work here is, if you have the correct instrument equipped when the cast message hits, the instrument bonus lasts for the entire duration of the song. This should work all the time with the exception of if you play the song again, with the wrong instrument, before the first casts duration is up you lose the bonus. Instrument swapping works here on P99, but not always, still have it not work sometimes if I swap out instruments at the last second. However, for the most part, it works as its supposed to.

Swapping instruments for dots while AE kiting is key. Brass for DDD, Strings for CoD. Nice to get a regen tick in with lute as well, but getting double dmg from DDD is needed, especially if youre going to take hits when you swing in to cast it.

-Morgn
Gotcha - thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

So, I tried this method today despite being perfectly content with my Bard already, and it's great - it's not that hard to figure out and once it comes naturally to you it almost feels like cheating. I find centaurs and gnolls (in front of Paw) in SK are the easiest. Some people may have seen me aoe kiting the gnolls today - I was able to do five at a time without getting hit (with about 3 blues and 2 light blues).

I'm sad I didn't do this at an earlier level, as I'm level 38 now and kiting the gnolls just isn't that good for exp. I'd like to know if there are any better kiting spots for my level.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Large Bat

Just thought I'd drop my 2cp in here real quick, atleast on this topic. I noticed a short while back that this particular instance, if you cast a DoT with the proper instrument up, and keep the song up without twisting, but swap in your weapons, for example, the damage will stay the same as if you were using the instrument. Aka.. You cast Tuyen's Chant of Flame with drums equipped, it lands and does 40 some-odd damage, then while keeping Tuyen's going, swap in your weapons and attack, the dot will continue doing the same level of damage. It's when you have to re-play the same song that the damage modifier will dissipate, if not using the proper instrument.
Last edited by danno; 08-07-2010 at 04:14 AM..
Closed Thread