Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Send a message via AIM to avant_tard
Default Screw you Mages and Necros.... Ranger Guide to Solo Killing Red HGs

INTRO: These are four tips for young Rangers out there who might have some questions about bow-kiting.

1. FLETCHING
A little dedication to fletching in the early game can get you a decent bow and quality arrows pretty quickly. Craft a fast firing bow (for elusive archery skill-ups) and long range arrows (parabolic, small nock.) In the later game you will want to spend time getting your fletching skill up so that you can reliably craft silver arrows (magic.) Then go hunt down the Ghoul Messenger and get yourself a Short Sword of Morin. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

2. DEXTERITY
This stat really only pertains to bow-kiting for Rangers, but for this specific strategy it seems to play a crucial role. Before I boosted my dexterity my bow shots were inconsistent. When the arrows landed my hits were weak and my criticals laughable. I thought the archery skill might be bugged it lagged so far behind. I got some gear and now I feel like Al Capone POP POP POP

3. PATIENCE YOUNG GRASSHOPPER
Now that you have the tools for the trade, USE THOSE ARROWS!! I see so many of those Ranger twinks popping a few off then melee'ing the rest of the fight. I have to think that even for them a little shoot and scoot would be beneficial. A good example is kiting mammoths in EF - try to balance your health and mana together while using your arrows to take those suckers down. Kill 4-5 in a row and head back to Starn loaded with tusks.

4. TERRAIN
Use hills, rivers, cliffs and other terrain to your advantage. You will depend on snare - not root - so knowing where you can safely run around like a turkey is important. Also, archery doesn't have a line of sight check, making for some interesting ways to avoid caster mobs by staying out of their LOS but still being in range with your bow. Finally, knowing where there are fletching merchants helps: for instance the frontier town in EK.
As a side note, obtaining Pegasus Cloak is probably easier for a Ranger than any other class (though Quillmane is resistant to snare/root - be careful.) Levitation makes for some great tricks in Rathe Mtns and OOT.

FAQ:
Dexterity? lol
Okay, so if you want to level as fast as possible: join groups only and gear accordingly (hp/ac/str.) If you are simply trying to suggest "twink w/ FBSS dewd" ummmm... no.

Why has you rolled Ranger main?
First toon I rolled in '99 when I was thirteen. One of the most fun classes to play imho.

discuss, class.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Kobold

I like this. Ranger is my favorite class too. When I get around to playing mine again I'll have to try this out.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Sarnak

Added this awesome guide to the wiki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

http://wiki.project1999.org/index.ph...venture#Ranger
Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Banned

My question to you is: Have you tested having more Dex is better then more str when bow kiting???

I personally find having more strength ups the Dps by a ton. I haven't tested dex yet tho?
Old 01-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Send a message via AIM to avant_tard

No, I haven't tested the influence of STR w/ the bow yet. However, from EQTraders:

"Dexterity affects your chances for special melee abilities such as combat effects and critical hits. It increases your chances to gain points in most combat skills. It is also a factor in determining how much damage you do with throwing weapons and archery."

Where adding Dex really shined for me was the increased rate of archery skill-ups. It was always lagging really far behind, but now (finally at 34) it is maxed for my level - and just the better ratio of hits to misses because of this is giving me a much better DPS then before I added my dex gear.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

I'd add this: USE FLAME LICK.

It's damage/mana ratio is awesome. Keep it up all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Sarnak

I'd add this.

Befriend a rogue. Fear kiting without a caster, no need for a healer, very little downtime and great DPS = good xp when groups are not available.

Carsomyr - 55 Pally - Retired
Thalon - 49 Rogue - Temporarily Benched
Contagious - Necro - 30's and climbing
Lights - 55 Wiz - Occasional Murderer
Old 01-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd add this.

Befriend a rogue. Fear kiting without a caster, no need for a healer, very little downtime and great DPS = good xp when groups are not available.
Rogue and Cleric are the only classes I haven't played fairly thoroughly. How consistent is intimidation for you? I remember using it on my monk, but it was fairly erratic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Sarnak

Once you get it to max level at around lvl 24ish it becomes very reliable. and you can just normal snare kite until the intimidate lands. Usually on the first or second attempt on dark blues. Havent really tested it too much on even cons or higher.

Carsomyr - 55 Pally - Retired
Thalon - 49 Rogue - Temporarily Benched
Contagious - Necro - 30's and climbing
Lights - 55 Wiz - Occasional Murderer
Old 01-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

imo this young ranger is related to the other young ranger pycoba!
Closed Thread