Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

My older brother found it somehow, and he let me try it one day while he was doing something. I made a half elf paladin in Freeport named Keltin, and was immediately addicted to what seemed like the endless possibilities of this universe.

I was smart enough to still excel in school while pouring all my time into EQ, but while all my friends were out chasing girls I was playing elf sim. The girl who sat at the table next to me in 8th grade science class came onto me hard but I had no social skills and had no idea until I got made fun of on the bus for being aloof. I had elfs on the mind. She was hot af but ended up having a baby right out of high school and turned into trailer trash. Oh Brittany
Old 12-14-2020, 11:43 AM
Banned

back then you had to buy a sound card to have sound anyone remember? Lol

see you on turtle beach
Old 12-14-2020, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My older brother found it somehow, and he let me try it one day while he was doing something. I made a half elf paladin in Freeport named Keltin, and was immediately addicted to what seemed like the endless possibilities of this universe.

I was smart enough to still excel in school while pouring all my time into EQ, but while all my friends were out chasing girls I was playing elf sim. The girl who sat at the table next to me in 8th grade science class came onto me hard but I had no social skills and had no idea until I got made fun of on the bus for being aloof. I had elfs on the mind. She was hot af but ended up having a baby right out of high school and turned into trailer trash. Oh Brittany
hey I feel like this is a dig at me. I almost failed middle school, yes, but we had standardized testing in the middle of my EQ-and-bad-grades period and i scored in the 99th percentile. In fact, I got thru middleschool while skipping an awful lot of homework for elven cyb0r and I was valedictorian in high school afterward so I think I won the game.

THANKS.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 PM
Kobold

I broke my arm jumping dirt ramps on my BMX bike when I was a kid. I had my arm in a cast and was bummed out so my parents let me buy a new computer game. I had seen EQ in PC Gamer magazine and thought it sounded amazing having so many players all in the same virtual world. I had no idea how MMORPGs worked at all. I saw it on the shelf at Electronic Boutique at the mall, thought the cover art with FV was awesome, and brought it home. Had to beg my parents to let me use the credit card for an account and hog the phone line. I was hooked instantly. I had just bought Nine Inch Nails The Fragile and was listening to it on my cd player while I ran around Greater Faydark as a Wood Elf druid. This was right before Kunark came out I think.

I was hooked. I'll seriously never forget. Ended up playing a Dark Elf SK on The Tribunal in <Legendary>. Any time I listen to The Fragile I can remember it vividly.
Last edited by Gaxx; 12-15-2020 at 10:25 PM..
Old 12-16-2020, 01:27 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

One step closer, I know this isn’t the exact review but still a funny Everquest tv segment by the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlhU...&feature=share. 4:45:00
I will find that original review.

Another gem: EQ at its peak, g4 interviewing medley and others on EQ.
https://youtu.be/ubokT1_AZWo
Last edited by Knuckle; 12-16-2020 at 01:52 AM..
Old 12-16-2020, 01:37 AM
Planar Protector

I walked into the equivalent of Gamestop one day, saw the box and thought it looked cool. I'd met a bunch of good people in chat rooms across the internet and thought to have that in the form of the game as a principle sounded fun.

Never expected to be playing it a year later let alone 20 years [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-16-2020, 01:58 AM
Planar Protector

Saw a dude playing it at a local LAN shop when it released. 4 or 5 people were gathered around him in chairs just watching for like 2 hours. It was so different than the starcraft/counter-strike that everyone else was playing at the time. Shortly after that, bunch of us were doing all-nighters at the LAN shop groupin up for leveling. Good times.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:39 AM
Banned

EQ at a lan center ... the future sux.

I started training for counterstrike as a teen planning to hang at the LAN center by UNLV. got my drivers license and it was like 5 years closed.

We did do a "teambuilding" lan event once when I was employed, tho, and I stomped beautifully (was a pro at the time). Wound up 1vEveryone, as CS gets when you're genuinely good. It got me worship at the office and i got promoted to management soon after, lol. There's nothing like demonstrating your IQ with something martial and competitive, it feels better than anything. So I guess it did paid off. But still, I thought my adulthood would be like Hackers with LAN center weekends at mixed LAN/BDSM venues in the local akihabara district, lots of chains and leather pants, and instead it sux and everyone is frightened of cyborg wives. Brain drain is the most tragic feature of our society.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 12-16-2020 at 04:05 AM..
Old 12-16-2020, 03:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ at a lan center ... the future sux.
It was glorious. I was buddies with the manager, so he'd lock up for the night and a bunch of us would order some pizzas and soda and stay there playing as a group until morning. Shop owner was in on it as well, he'd group with us from home. Did it Friday night or Saturday night most every week for almost 2 years. Had some great adventures in guk, camping freeti, later on in Seb, velks, WW dragons, good times, all.

Place ended up going out of business around Luclin, and it all came to an end.

My nostalgia for that place and those guys is probably stronger than for EQ itself.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was glorious. I was buddies with the manager, so he'd lock up for the night and a bunch of us would order some pizzas and soda and stay there playing as a group until morning. Shop owner was in on it as well, he'd group with us from home. Did it Friday night or Saturday night most every week for almost 2 years. Had some great adventures in guk, camping freeti, later on in Seb, velks, WW dragons, good times, all.

Place ended up going out of business around Luclin, and it all came to an end.

My nostalgia for that place and those guys is probably stronger than for EQ itself.
That does honestly sound like a childhood dream. Something like heaven. Very jealous
Closed Thread