Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 01:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantagarBrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@GM's+

Only 1 GM needs to sit in ToV during a quake and look around for 2-3hrs. Take some notes (Record it), present the problems list up the chain of command, discuss a plan and formulate, provide the guidance back down to the plebes.

/thumbsup

You'd save a ton of man hours if you just got ahead of it all and lay down your laws in accordance with the direction .
That’s a lot of time and effort. We’re lucky they have a presence at all here.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:37 AM
Kobold

The last time i saw a GM it was such a fond memory.

It was during the unrooted dragons and awakened got punted from ToV for training the west exit.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:12 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdoofaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tbh it’s a two way street. They’re lucky we keep a presence here too. Without us, they wouldn’t exist, just as we wouldn’t without them. They should probably just add another GM to the roster. I’m sure they have a list of people who would help. Nonetheless, I agree that sitting in ToV to record as a GM is a waist. The players should be able to record their own issue they report. That’s like telling the judge to go find the evidence, submit it, and analyze it, lol !
Old 12-31-2020, 02:25 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdoofaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As opposed to the nonstop petitions they get every single week and the constant babysitting they have to do trying to mediate disputes between the guilds? They've already complained that the raid scene eats up way too much of their time. If they just quaked 1x a week and refereed, handing out decisions on the spot, they'd save themselves time and headaches. None of this lawyerquest bullshit. GM sees you train, GM issues you a DQ. It's that simple. The GMs refereeing the raid scene should be handled the same way a ref in a football game or an ump in a baseball game is. I don't know why P99 was ever turned into a courtroom.
P99ers do a lot of things well. Handling surprise adds / splitting up focus is not one of them. Mostly because the classes that do that the best (SK/Paladins) are generally trashed and considered useless, and because pulls are considered failures if a dragons doesn't appear at the zone line solo.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know why P99 was ever turned into a courtroom.
When big Rogean stepped back from anything to do with GMing and Sirken took over, he took a much more active role in raid disputes. Back when Rogean dealt with stuff, rules were limited and simple, and you knew if you brought a dispute to him that wasn't iron clad and waste his time, you were going to have a bad time. Sirken on the other hand seemed to enjoy playing referee and trying to engineer a raid scene using more and more rules. With more rules, came more opportunity to lawyer quest.

I've suggested in numerous posts they should just wipe the increasingly byzantine system of rules currently enforced on the server and start from scratch, but thus far it seems the current server staff has decided to build upon what Sirken left behind. I'm not saying the current GMs enjoy it like Sirken seemed to (although he also protested how much he hated it, despite all evidence to the contrary), but you're not going to solve lawyer questing by perpetuating a system where rules are numerous, complex, and unclear.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended as GM bashing, just my observation of how the server rules have changed throughout the life of the server, leading to our current Judge Judy-esque clown show.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs13 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As opposed to the nonstop petitions they get every single week and the constant babysitting they have to do trying to mediate disputes between the guilds? They've already complained that the raid scene eats up way too much of their time. If they just quaked 1x a week and refereed, handing out decisions on the spot, they'd save themselves time and headaches. None of this lawyerquest bullshit. GM sees you train, GM issues you a DQ. It's that simple. The GMs refereeing the raid scene should be handled the same way a ref in a football game or an ump in a baseball game is. I don't know why P99 was ever turned into a courtroom.
With this idea the ref GM could also basically have that as his only task. Maybe that GM would choose to help with other stuff all week long, and probably would, but theoretically you could just have a single raid ref GM, or one for each server if they did the quake plan for green also.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
The problem with unrooted dragons is that the monks are STAR PLAYERS and everyone else sits at the TOV entrance with their dicks in their hands. Dragons are conveyor belted to entrance and the zone is cleared in 45 minutes with no trash killed. It's a lot easier and it's free pixels, but it's not how the game was meant to be played and while I'm sure it's a lot of fun for the pull teams, it's lame for the other 12 classes in EQ. Rooted dragons forces players to crawl TOV, which was the way the dungeon was meant to be played. It's not the devs' fault the players turned it into leapfrog stalemates.

It doesn't matter though because the larger problem is that no matter what meta the GMs adopt, the raid scene in P99 is always going to be a nightmare. When winning is more important than fun, which to the end-game raid guilds, it is, your raid scene is going to be a toxic mess. P99's raid scene is what happens when a bunch of grown men try to live out their e-sports fantasies in a 20 year old elf sim with refs that are never on the field. There's a reason literally every sport in existence has refs watching and ruling on every play in real time.

I'm not trying to bash staff here, but frankly they're creating more work for themselves by being reactive instead of proactive. It's like instead of washing their dishes after every meal like normal people, they opt to let the dirty dishes fill their entire kitchen and then fight the swarm of cockroaches every day. If it was me, I would disable all automatic respawn of raid mobs, and every Saturday at 3pm my GM team would log onto discord, pop a couple beers, and hit the earthquake button. Then we'd have at least 1 GM in every zone with 400% move speed, no aggro, and no clip mode on watching every raid and issuing penalties in real time. AG, that's a train on Eashen, you're DQed from Eashen for the rest of the day and you get a 15 minute timeout at the zoneline. Better luck next time. The players wouldn't have to deal with boring-ass tracking, parking buffed toons throughout the week, all that stupid crap, and the GMs would only have to deal with the raiders' crap for 3-4 hours a week. It would be win-win for everyone.

But I'm sure some of you would complain because it's "not classic" or some stupid crap like that. I don't care.
A+ Post, would read again. This here is a smart man.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-31-2020, 10:44 AM
Fire Giant

I think unrooted with a very low number of rules would be the most fair, and the most fun raid environment. No coths on spawn. Get the dragon to aary ramp with your FTE and it's yours. NO rules passed North Door.

Train em, mem blur them, fuck with their pulls. That would be pretty fun. And no petitions. Just a MF thunderdome
Old 12-31-2020, 10:44 AM
Banned

Beta ended a long time ago guys
Old 12-31-2020, 10:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've suggested in numerous posts they should just wipe the increasingly byzantine system of rules currently enforced on the server and start from scratch, but thus far it seems the current server staff has decided to build upon what Sirken left behind.
Wait, what? I don't think that is true. If it was, we wouldn't be lawyerquesting and hoping for consequence every cycle.

Sirkens rules are getting blatantly ignored without punishment. Hell, even Rogeans rules.

IE: Mem blurring Vulak and Skipping PoG clear by kiting everything and burning down Tunare.
Closed Thread