Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: What do you think will happen?
The USA will buy the UK to make them great again 15 14.02%
The monarchy will collapse, England to become Venezuela 2.0 10 9.35%
UK to sink in total recession, AM/Riot to rejoice about this new stream of jobless apps 25 23.36%
The UK will do just fine, will claim back USA, India, Australia and all other ex colonies 23 21.50%
The EU will make Boris Johnson fuck a pig live on TV, or they kill Harry 19 17.76%
Bush // towers 39 36.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well yeah. You have to right the ship before you unload the baggage.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Sarnak

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/03/w...y-hungary.html

Interesting article on the corruption that EU farm subsidies support. The EU's Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), which effects these subsidies, was set up primarily to aid France's rural poor, who often rely on subsistence farming to live. In 2005 UK Prime Minister Toby Bliar gave up a chunk of the UK's EU rebate (which we get because we didn't really benefit as a nation from the CAP) in return for reform of the CAP. To date no such reform of CAP has taken place.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

Alan Moore drops anarchism to champion Labour against Tory 'parasites.'

U.K. voters may find choosing between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn unappealing, but the comics legend is in no doubt, declaring “some leaders are so unbelievably malevolent and catastrophic that they must be strenuously opposed by any means available.”
Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

What sort of person looks at Boris Johnson and thinks "yeah, that's my guy"
Old 11-23-2019, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Corbyn looks homeless, but yeah, anyone named Boris delenda est
Old 11-23-2019, 05:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People value gentlemanliness as a vaneer. People who put the ends before the means. People to whom the law is a system of restraint, not protection. People to whom the status quo is intolerable.

People see problems in how things are. He offers a solution. The solution to end the problem.

Personally I don't buy it. It all feels rather sinister. Its all scapegoats and oldboy cronyism masquerading as free market capitalism.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:44 AM
Sarnak

I think a lot of people, myself included, see Boris as being the least-worst option given the alternatives in most of the country are Comrade Corbyn or Swinoccio. People are genuinely worried about a Corbyn government, with good reason imo, and so will vote to prevent that - the Brexit Party pulled out of over half the constituencies because they didn't want to be seen doing anything to enable a Corbyn victory.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:03 AM
Planar Protector

I've never voted labour.

I liked JRM's (conservative leave campaigner) idea during the referendum that we'd negotiate the best deal possible then have a deciding referendum once we knew the facts.

I've also seen the scarcity of land in the UK dissuades developers from building entry level or affordable family housing, and regulations that encourage it are ignored or unenforced. The freemarket had spoken and the poor don't deserve homes, which has disastrous social and economic consequences (I've worked and volunteered extensively in the 'homeless' sector, been a research assistant for a phd on the consequences of unemployment, a landlord for Amnesty International service users). As market forces have failed, we need a government plan to build affordable housing, JC offers this, especially if it acts as a cash injection into the construction sector while reducing housing benefit payments.

I'm sorrly tempted to vote Labour for these two reasons, along with the fact I don't have an iota of trust in Boris (though honestly I think he is little more than a faceman puppet).

Horrifyingly I think I'll be voting for labour, and living in a conservative safe seat (the one Ken Clarke occupied before standing down, unfortunately in my eyes as he was one of the few MPs i genuinely respected), I can do so with the clean conscience of wasting vote.

If they get enough MPs to form a government all this Brexit nonsense should be sorted out by the next election... Over by Christmas (2020) right?!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:22 AM
Fire Giant

COrbyn homeless looking? Looks like the average 70 year old man to me.

This whole "comrade corbyn" thing is weird. Wanting to nationalize things isn't communist. It's normal to nationalize services, tons of countries worldwide have nationalized power, rail, communications etc.

WE are the odd ones out. People parrot on about TAKING BACK CONTROL. Fine go on about immigration all you want, but we wont have real control back till we control the things which keep us alive.

Currently out grid part owned by UK and otherwise between canadian, chinese, german and middle eastern companies among others.

A fair portion of our rail network is french, german and dutch owned.

Our post is at least 21% owned by a german consortium.

Nationalization will hurt to begin with and will have issues. No doubt. But dont blame those who seek to nationaize it. Blame those who privatized in the past.

Selling things off is easy and gets a quick buck. Keeping things in our control may be tougher in the long run but is better for our country.

I can't think of a single reason anyone who is parroting this "taking back control" stuff could have to OPPOSE renationalization of utilities and services.
Closed Thread