Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hello, when will the server open? I told my wife and kids i was going to work overtime today but i actually took the laptop to starbucks so i could play the new server.
You should have a TV show or something.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:12 PM
Aviak

Shame. Personally I quite enjoyed the feel of a busy server.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hello, when will the server open? I told my wife and kids i was going to work overtime today but i actually took the laptop to starbucks so i could play the new server.
this deserves a slow clap. wow man.

It's a free game, eat a dick. The developeerrrsss allllllll haaaavvveeeee jooooobbbbbsssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri View Post
You're as charming as an ogre, you're as clever as a troll
eat a diiiiiiiiiick
Taku <Castle>
Old 11-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Aviak

Pretty sure all the people who "enjoy" the busy server feel are all the ones who always have parties or always get priority listing over others who were already legitimately in the queue for X party etc et.. Just throwing that out there.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheefpoker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure all the people who "enjoy" the busy server feel are all the ones who always have parties or always get priority listing over others who were already legitimately in the queue for X party etc et.. Just throwing that out there.
No, within reasonable bounds a large server should be the intent of a virtual world. When a player is not excited when he hears of a virtual world of 2000 people, something is amiss. The high road is to bid these people adieu, the low is to fulfill the destiny (as alotted on Usenet) of Everquest as the McDonald's of MMORPGs. Many are genuinely amazed, all in their own ways, that Project 1999 has come to this. Some of us quite foolishly at one time or another projected our hopes and visions of MMORPGs onto this. But to be fair they are not only following the precedent of every company in MMORPGs, but fulfilling the wishes of the majority of players and of their players. Some of us are having a pipe dream, more or less.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheefpoker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean friendly, well-adjusted people who others enjoy grouping with?

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 11-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Orc

From a mental point of view, the expectation of players for uncontested prosperity and low conflct is a learned trait, either from other games, other MMORPGs, or from gut instinct. As Richard Bartle writes,

"Newbies come to virtual worlds with a set of preconceptions acquired from other virtual worlds; or, failing that, from other computer games; or, failing that, from gut instinct. They will not consider virtual worlds that confront these expectations if there are others around that don't."

The question that the owners ought to ask is, will these newbies leave Project '99 for another game? If not then there is no reason to pander to them. The danger is, as Bartle writes:

"Put another way, if a virtual world has a feature that offends newbies, the developers will have to remove that feature or they won't get any newbies. This is irrespective of what the oldbies think: they may adore a feature, but if newbies don't like it then (under point #1) eventually there won't be anyone left to adore it.

Point #2: Newbies won't play a virtual world that has a major feature they don't like."
Old 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like the busy feel of Green, not so sure I like this idea. Come 3 weeks how crowded will either be?
He did just say, they will monitor populations, and decide when to merge, either "weeks, months, or years". Come on man!
Old 11-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Kobold

The server is entirely to crowded. I enjoy the feel of a busy server, but you have to draw the line somewhere...

As it stands people/small groups are camping 1-2 spawns in crushbone. These are a 21 minute spawn mind you. When i poked my head in the other day there were legit more PC's then mobs that could spawn in the zone.

Was camping a 4 spawn group of bandits with my brother. Was legit getting harrassed by a player because we wouldnt merge with his group. Saying 2 people taking the camp when there were people LFG was greedy. This is a 4 spawn being kept clear with plenty of time to spare by 2 people.

It is almost impossible to find a group with empty slots much less a camp if you form your own group in just about any zone. Hell west karana had 71 people in it last night. I have seen 80 in crushbone. There arent even 80 mobs IN crushbone.

I actually logged off the other night because after 30 minutes of trying to find any semblance of a camp in my level range I gave up, everything was locked down

There are also people on reddit if you bother to look saying they are waiting on the new servers to play, because right now they dont feel like starting when the server is so bloated in the early level ranges. So that will add to the population as well.

When they split the servers, I assure you, there will still be plenty of people to play with and the servers will feel very alive... You just wont step on people every 3 feet.
Last edited by ShivanAngel; 11-03-2019 at 02:37 PM..
Old 11-03-2019, 02:44 PM
Orc

We were learning an important life lesson from green server. When there is something that many people seek, there will be great competition for it.

Sometimes it helps to look beyond Sony and what they did. After all did they not release Planes of Power? But I am not convinced the great argument for what is classic or not is not simply a way to buttress a short-term one. As Richard Bartle writes:

"When a virtual world changes (as it must), all but its most experienced players will consider the change on its short-term merits only. They look at how the change affects them, personally, right now. They will only make mention of possible long-term effects to help buttress a short-termist argument. They don't care that things will be majorly better for them later if things are minorly worse for them today - it's only the now that matters."
Closed Thread