Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Banned

Default Next Class to try

I started out playing a Cleric this year and I'm mid 40's now. I keep giving away all sorts of random loot drops to low level characters and now I decided I should start an alt for fun and those random downtimes when zones are overcrowded.

Im looking at Ranger but it might be hard to be useful without some amount of good weapons and armor.

Bards seem really fun to play but do I need instruments to be effective?

Lastly, Im considering Enchanter because they also seem fun to play. Would it be wise to max out Charisma with my stat points in order to be effective with mez and charm?
Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Orc

In order to answer intelligence or charisma for the ENC it might be helpful to consider which race because the int/cha values vary.

Have you seen this guide at the wiki? It discusses the Int vs. Cha decision

http://wiki.project1999.com/Enchanter
Old 03-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Kobold

Here is the thing about int vs cha, it sort of depends on how far you plan to go with the class. At low levels it's nice to have slots filled with mana/int rather than cha to give you extra mana to screw with for those fights that go bad. On the other hand cha should make less fights go bad. But since that isn't real helpful let's take a look at some numbers:

Electrum star Ruby rings: 7 cha each
Gold cat's eye bracelets: 7 cha each
Platinum star Ruby veil: 9 cha
Sarnak arcane fetish: 5 cha (6 int.. bonus)
Opalline earrings: 5 cha each
Crude Stein: 15 cha

So there is 67 cha all from relatively cheap items (under 1k for that full set) and at level 20 you get a spell that will add another 18 (16 at 20). So now you are at 85 cha for very little invested. Try to bring your int up by 85 and you will spend considerably more.

Here is the huge disclaimer, cha is less prevalent on high end gear but int is easier to find on high end stuff. So as you start replacing gear you start to loose cha (your cha buff line gets better too so that mitigates some). So like I said at the start it depends on how far you think you want to take the char. At end game it makes sense to have burnt all your starting points on cha, but at lower levels cha is easier to come by than int. Personally I went middle of the road, some into int some into cha and so far it's been fine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Fire Giant

You can play a ranger without being a twink. I've never been in a group that kicked a member because they weren't a twink. Also, I've opted to not invite people that brag about their gear (people oocing about fungi, cof, etc.) Your gear is your business. As long as you do your job and contribute to the group you'll be fine.

Bards are indeed fun. They have a song for every occasion (eventually) and you swap songs based on who is in the group and what you're fighting. If played well they can make any group exponentially better. It takes work though...to know what to play, what stacks, what doesn't, etc. As for instruments, store bought is fine for a while. Certain songs require an instrument, most are just better with one. 5dmg versus 7 or 10 dmg a tick. JBoots versus sow versus cheetah speed. Iksar bp versus fungi regen. Stuff like that.

Enchanter has already been gone over, but play what you like. All the classes you mentioned are fun for their own reasons. It's up to you...
Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Rangers are fun, but you have to have a masochistic edge to really play one through. I love them, but I also like poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick....figuratively speaking.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Fire Giant

My advice for chanter would be to go all out on charisma. In normal leveling conditions its totally umimportant if you have that extra mana, per encounter you only use so much of it, and more mana does not equal more regeneration.

Charisma on the other hand makes your pets stay charmed for that much longer which is a) good for your health and b) leads to actually less mana consumption because you need to recharm less often. Add to that the fact that your mezzes and lulls need high charisma for less resists and the answer is crystal clear: charisma >> intelligence.

My advice is high elf with all possible points into charisma.
Closed Thread