Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Trading Hub

Old 01-01-2016, 04:13 AM
Orc

All times are showing 3 hours ahead for me, Standing in EC with logger running in the background and referencing the auctions against logger and things that just got uploaded show 3 hours ago.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Fire Giant

Why is someone allowed to run a profit business off the project 1999 playerbase? Using project 1999 services?

And then even blocking out people with adblockers...
Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucLangur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why is someone allowed to run a profit business off the project 1999 playerbase? Using project 1999 services?

And then even blocking out people with adblockers...
Because This is not making any kind of profit off of the playerbase unless the playerbase decides to click the ads. If He charged you money to use this thing then you would have a reason to complain. It's 100% free to use and 10000x more useful than anything on the P99 wiki when it comes to auctions.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenshu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because This is not making any kind of profit off of the playerbase unless the playerbase decides to click the ads. If He charged you money to use this thing then you would have a reason to complain. It's 100% free to use and 10000x more useful than anything on the P99 wiki when it comes to auctions.
Not true. However Ads work, if they didn't generate incoming, they would not be hosted. It does not matter if that is because ads pay for being loaded, or because every nth visitor clicks em. And the hoster of the auctiontracker uses project 1999 content that he does not own to get visitors to his site.

Therefore he is making money off the project 1999 server (and the players') data and thus my original question.

Edit: Furthermore, he bullies everyone into disabling Adblocker if they want to use the site, which is as you correctly pointed out, the only site offering the service.

I don't mind a website like this generating revenue by Ads, for example, but then it should be hosted by the owners of the server, and the revenues should go to them.

As I see it, a 3rd party hosting this is just as bad as playerauctions.com profiting off trades on our server.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Kobold

I personally run a VM or use my linux box to check the logger. Its been stated in the past that there is a check to see if you are viewing google ads, and if you aren't the site wont work. Since I have most google ads denied at the host file level, disabling ad block wont help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A check is done to see if you are viewing the google ads - if not, the page displays the error.

If you have host file changes, proxy settings (firewall etc.) or anything else that causes these ads to stop working properly, the page will also stop working.

If you don't like the ads, you can find a link on the page (in yellow text) to hide the ads so you can see the page ad-free.
Number one reason for not wanting ads: http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...google-malware
"Ad injection is more than just an annoyance. It also represents a potential security hazard for browsers."

But I digress. Don't use the site if you don't like it.

Keeping Ice of Velious off the streets of Norrath
Old 01-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Fire Giant

The ad injection the article refers to is related to Chrome extensions/desktop malware modifying unrelated page's HTML content to inject ads (such as, you go to http://example.com, which may have no ads, but some local software on your machine/web browser alters the HTML to add their own ads to the page you're visiting).

The only ads I've ever shown on the site are through Google AdWords, and while Google isn't the greatest in regards to privacy, as far as I've had the site, I haven't come across a breach or news article that alludes to any of their ads having been compromised as an attack vector (it's likely the safest/least compromised ad network out there).

As far as running a 'for profit business' - that's laughable, as the revenue from ads does not even come close to covering the hosting + my time spent on the site (especially considering I have been pretty inactive on p99 for awhile now, but kept the site up for the player base).

The great thing about FOSS/open source software (which is what anything I create is) is that you're free to fork, modify, extend and run your own instance of it if you like (just note that the log uploader is GPL, so you have to release the source if you distribute the binary modified, and the site code is AGPL, which means any portion of the site you modify would also need to have a link to the modified source available).

Lastly, I really appreciate what the p99 developers have done with the server, but it is a bit of a laugh for you to complain about me making any revenue off "other people's hard work", when the server itself is just that (a derivative of other people's hard work - that being the original EverQuest project).
Old 01-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Orc

The way most "clicky" ads work is that the person who owns the site makes something like $0.02 per ad click from their site(or in some cases they only generate revenue if someone clicks the ad then buys something from the site they went to) not just by existing.(Or at least this was my experience when I still paid the yearly fee to have my domain name registered. Additionally, if we want to get technical about it P99 doesn't own any of the IP that is involved in their server either, SoE/Daybreak Games owns the IP and they have donation options so they are making money off of something THEY don't own either. I ran a business for several years and there was 0 profit from ads. The web host I used required ads to be on the page and the "revenue" gernerated by those ads(even though I specifically chose to have my ad space populated with ads relevant to the business I was running" were not even enough yearly to cover 2% of the hosting cost of the website. Just because ads are on a page DOES NOT mean that the person running that page is making any money on it. THAT is how ads work. The person who made this logger for us to use is, if anything, losing money from paying a yearly fee to the domain host, if he/she is doing their own hosting then they may be making $0.10 a year off of the ads(Which have the option to hide them so you don't see any of them)
Last edited by Zenshu; 01-13-2016 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Fire Giant

I downloaded the program and after setting it up I ran the application, it launches then immediately closes. I would like to assist in uploading logs but I think I am doing something wrong here. Could anyone help walk me through it?
Old 01-30-2016, 02:35 AM
Kobold

you gotta open the .ini and set your log folder.... sites has had not as much listings as it used to id imagine it could use the added logs
Old 02-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Large Rat

Really amazing utility and super helpful. Thanks so much for the effort!