Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 12:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by area [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The biggest problem I have with them is the annoying instant mouse over pop up that happens even in the white space, and the fact that it won't go away until i move my mouse off the pop up.

Example:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Ceremon...sar_Chestplate

Fashion should be put at the very bottom, and if possible delay the mouse over popup. If not possible to delay it, disable pop up.
Yea if you think that one is bad check out this one.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Rubicite_Breastplate

Not only do you have to dodge the monstrously sized pop up image for the Rubicite armor, but then there are 9 other pop up images that aren't rubicite at all.
Last edited by Endonde; 10-16-2019 at 12:45 AM..
Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 AM
Fire Giant

Those popups

Gawd
Old 10-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endonde [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea if you think that one is bad check out this one.

Not only do you have to dodge the monstrously sized pop up image for the Rubicite armor, but then there are 9 other pop up images that aren't rubicite at all.
I see what you mean: the "collage" images are new, and much bigger than the previous images.

I've temporarily disabled the popovers for now. I will try to restore them, but only when I can find the time to do some size adjustments, to make sure they don't cover the screen like that.

Also I'll try to add some slight delay, so that you have to actually stay hovered over the link for half a second or so to see the image ... but I don't want to add too much delay, because part of the popover idea is to let people discover the images are there (without filling up the page with images, by showing all of them not as pop-overs).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-17-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-17-2019, 02:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I see what you mean: the "collage" images are new, and much bigger than the previous images.

I've temporarily disabled the popovers for now. I will try to restore them, but only when I can find the time to do some size adjustments, to make sure they don't cover the screen like that.

Also I'll try to add some slight delay, so that you have to actually stay hovered over the link for half a second or so to see the image ... but I don't want to add too much delay, because part of the popover idea is to let people discover the images are there (without filling up the page with images, by showing all of them not as pop-overs).
Dude no one wants pop ups but you, I don't think many people even want the fashion stuff displayed unless it's displayed at the bottom in a neat way. The current system is ugly, and just makes the wiki pages look more cluttered, most people are only interested in seeing where an item drops, what mob drops it, and what it's worth.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

The issue with the popover is that its set to display on hover of the li's which are set to display block so they take up the entire width of the container rather than the a's inside the li which could be set to inline/inline block.

The larger issue is that having screenshots to show what plate/chain/leather looks like on a race that isn't the actual item isn't really helpful. If you want to show screenshots of the actual item on different races that might be helpful.

Anyway, an accordion would probably be better for this, or a modal/lightbox triggered on click rather than on hover, since hover can be trigger by simply not moving your cursor as you scroll down the page. If you insist on using hover to trigger them, you should look into a hover-intent plugin.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:44 PM
Aviak

Going to side track this conversation about web standards and ui.

Has female human plate always looked like straight up tits?

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Rubicite.jpg
Old 10-17-2019, 09:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Going to side track this conversation about web standards and ui.

Has female human plate always looked like straight up tits?

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Rubicite.jpg
I think that's enhanced due to how the light is hitting the armor.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
modal/lightbox triggered on click rather than on hover
This is the current behavior. I'm not wedded to the popover behavior at all, and I'm totally open to a discussion on when people like pop-overs (item links) when people don't (too large fashion images) and everything else (location links?).

But I also know a lot of people like fashion ... and at the same time, showing the whole fashion category worth of images on the item page is impractical (without a carousel or something, which anyone is welcome to build ... but keep in mind that the wiki doesn't need to be weighed down by heavy libraries).

The popovers (coupled with the click lightbox) seemed like a good way to achieve that. I think they could be done better than they were, but again they don't need to exist at all: I just want a good UI that let's people see the fashion screenshots.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:44 AM
Planar Protector

The pop-over itembox thing could work well with the 'Fashion: ColorName' item in the bottom tray, I know I use those links all the time to find out the color of the item. For example:

I feel like you may have even had it like this at one point?

Regarding the 'Fashion/Appearance (Wrong Tint)' section, I've never really needed to see what Plate/Leather/Cloth generally looks like on every different race, but that may be because I'm already hella immersed? I guess it could be helpful for things like Velious Chain 1, or Velious Chain 2 but I don't mind clicking the 'Fashion: Velious Chain 1' link from the bottom tray to see those different sets.

But the screenshots of the actual items (Fashion/Appearance) are nice to have.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The pop-over itembox thing could work well with the 'Fashion: ColorName' item in the bottom tray, I know I use those links all the time to find out the color of the item. For example:

I feel like you may have even had it like this at one point?
That was never a feature, but it's a fun idea [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'll add it to my to do list.

Quote:
Regarding the 'Fashion/Appearance (Wrong Tint)' section, I've never really needed to see what Plate/Leather/Cloth generally looks like on every different race, but that may be because I'm already hella immersed? I guess it could be helpful for things like Velious Chain 1, or Velious Chain 2 but I don't mind clicking the 'Fashion: Velious Chain 1' link from the bottom tray to see those different sets.

But the screenshots of the actual items (Fashion/Appearance) are nice to have.
The thing is, some armor really does look different on an Ogre vs. a Halfling. If you want to see what ___ looks like, seeing it with the wrong tint on a fellow Halfling could give you a closer idea to what it would look like on your character than seeing it with the correct tint on an Ogre. It does depend on the armor, but I'm just hesitant to not have those "off tint" options at all when they might be useful to people.

Last edited by loramin; 10-18-2019 at 01:27 AM..
Closed Thread