Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you live in one of America's inner cities?
Yes, I live in a but I got inner city 41 18.55%
Yes, I live in a crime infested inner city 35 15.84%
Yes, I live in a burning crime infested inner city 33 14.93%
Bush burned the crime infested towers 153 69.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gotta get em off heroin and morbid obesity first bruh.

Cant just give free healthcare away to those that arent interested in caring for their own health, in the first place.
I'm disappointed with myself in that this resonates with me to some degree. I spent a lot of time and effort and money helping a childhood friend get clean of a crack addiction he picked up in his mid 20s. After getting him help and rehab, cutting off old connections, giving him a place to stay, and about fifty other things, he still stole from our friend group and broke off to his old ways.

Does this mean I shouldn't have even tried? No, I don't think so. But who is going to be the grand judge to decide if this addict or that addict deserves treatment or paid medical care?

I think when you lose your abilty to empathize with another person's situation, regardless of the fact that it was their own poor choices that may have put them there, you lose a part of your humanity as well. Looking down your nose at other people as fats or addicts deserving of less rights than others is a very slippery slope.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptooth2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
he has to want to do it
You're right, he does have to want to kick. And he did, which is why we all helped. He eventually came around a couple years later after disappearing for a long time and has been doing OK since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptooth2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the worst thing you can do is help your friend, he has to do it on his own
I disagree with this. Knowing you still have people who will support you at a low point in your life can be a great motivator. If I had to go through that shit I'm not sure I'd want to do it alone.

The whole point of sharing that story was to highlight that not every person who has an addiction should automatically be disqualified from the same healthcare rights that other people receive. You can't just give up on people. My example was probably a shitty one because it didn't really work out so well in the short term.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r14k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're right, he does have to want to kick. And he did, which is why we all helped. He eventually came around a couple years later after disappearing for a long time and has been doing OK since.

I disagree with this. Knowing you still have people who will support you at a low point in your life can be a great motivator. If I had to go through that shit I'm not sure I'd want to do it alone.

The whole point of sharing that story was to highlight that not every person who has an addiction should automatically be disqualified from the same healthcare rights that other people receive. You can't just give up on people. My example was probably a shitty one because it didn't really work out so well in the short term.
Dug myself outta hard homeless resets at least 4 times in my life, myself. Didn't rely on government programs and handouts at others' expense to do so. Don't think I should be pushed back into the brink of financial devastation funding futile efforts to introduce large sweeping programs that won't change the disposition/habits of people that chose, choose, and continue to choose to remain there.

You're also making a false equivelence in your story. You chose to help your friend. It was a voluntary decision.

In contrast, California is FORCING everyone to pay to fund the illegal immigrants. It's not voluntary, AND IT WASN"T EVEN FUCKING VOTED ON! That's a world of difference there. Let's not make bullshit personalized comparisons done out of compassion for a friend with FORCIBLY TAKING OUR FUCKING MONEY WITHOUT EVEN BEING POISED WITH A VOTE ON THE GODDAMNED BILL TO DO SO just to "Help" people that shouldn't even fucking be here in the first place.
Last edited by Thorondor; 07-10-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Oh damn, compassion for another human that was (maybe) born somewhere different. Damn. That's so brutal.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Fire Giant

I don't think compassion for a friend and compassion for a stranger with a similar situation should be all that different. I get the stigma about not wanting to be "forced" to pay for something you don't agree with, but that's just how getting taxed works. Yeah, it probably should have been voted on, but I can't speak to that since I don't know anything about the bill you're referencing.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh damn, compassion for another human that was (maybe) born somewhere different. Damn. That's so brutal.
by that measure, donate all your stuff to south africa and live the life of an aborigine. If you intend to be compassionate for another human that was born somewhere else, to the nth degree, then by all means, when are you moving into your makeshift shack?

I mean, if you really want to look at economic difference, as an evil thing, then the homeless living in makeshift shacks within the US are the only ones actually doing their part to make their lifestyle similar to that of the majority of earth's human inhabitants, and in that case, why help them at all? They're just doing their part in establishing "equality" throughout the world. Who are you to jostle them from their rightful position with your pretentious "help" (that comes from my pocket)?
Last edited by Thorondor; 07-10-2019 at 06:22 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
by that measure, donate all your stuff to south africa and live the life of an aborigine. If you intend to be compassionate for another human that was born somewhere else, to the nth degree, then by all means, when are you moving into your makeshift shack?

I mean, if you really want to look at economic difference, as an evil thing, then the homeless living in makeshift shacks within the US are the only ones actually doing their part to make their lifestyle similar to that of the majority of earth's human inhabitants, and in that case, why help them at all? They're just doing their part in establishing "equality" throughout the world. Who are you to jostle them from their rightful position with your pretentious "help" (that comes from my pocket)?
You're the dickbag that wants sharply defined borders. Your taxes should go to everyone within those borders. Do you treat foreigners within your country as subhuman? Are they not worthy of the same level of care as you?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
throndor considers taxation a trick. that the ones advocating it's necessity will never be the ones paying for it.

why?

because that's what he would do.

his is the dark heart of american suburbia. he is counted.
Last edited by Wonkie; 07-10-2019 at 06:32 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're the dickbag that wants sharply defined borders. Your taxes should go to everyone within those borders. Do you treat foreigners within your country as subhuman? Are they not worthy of the same level of care as you?
Yeah, and I dont have health insurance.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yeah, and I dont have health insurance.
So, because you're a moron that doesn't believe in financial and social safety, people who are less fortunate than yourself should suffer?
Closed Thread