Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would someone need/use a log file for?

Sorry for stupid questions. I tried to ask these questions in the other GINA thread but no one answered.
To tell you when your buffs are going to disappear, when your spells are going to be ready to cast, how long until the mob you’re camping will be up.

Basically all the things Rogean and Nilbog went out of their way to remove from the UI.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 10-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Fire Giant

Log files are great for all sorts of things that would require a large data set. Attempting to reverse engineer the AC formula, verifying dps (how much worse is a rusty long sword than a cracked staff), other stuff I can't think of at the moment. In the OPs context it's tracking spell durations. So the program looks like "you begin to cast mesmerize" and then starts a timer for a duration of that spell (which the user manually enters i am assuming). It could also provide an alert if it reads "your mesmerization spell has worn off" in the log file. I don't know if Gina does this, but other programs would read the log looking for "you have entered so-and-so zone" then pull up a map of that zone, then look for a location from /loc and plot that on the map - giving you a real time plot of where you are in that zone (useful if you bind /loc to a movement key). You can do a lot with the log file. Also, old log files are where a lot of our community resources come from for re-creating quests, mechanics, etc. Logs are good, but also powerful
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Log files are great for all sorts of things that would require a large data set. Attempting to reverse engineer the AC formula, verifying dps (how much worse is a rusty long sword than a cracked staff), other stuff I can't think of at the moment. In the OPs context it's tracking spell durations. So the program looks like "you begin to cast mesmerize" and then starts a timer for a duration of that spell (which the user manually enters i am assuming). It could also provide an alert if it reads "your mesmerization spell has worn off" in the log file. I don't know if Gina does this, but other programs would read the log looking for "you have entered so-and-so zone" then pull up a map of that zone, then look for a location from /loc and plot that on the map - giving you a real time plot of where you are in that zone (useful if you bind /loc to a movement key). You can do a lot with the log file. Also, old log files are where a lot of our community resources come from for re-creating quests, mechanics, etc. Logs are good, but also powerful
Oh.....so it's cheating.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do people use logs for besides GINA? I'm honestly wondering. I've never used the logging feature in all my years of EQ, both on Live and on P1999. I have a hard time seeing how logging adds enough to the player experience to be left intact if it is mostly just being used to run what is basically a de facto cheat program outside the client.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekova [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fair question.

I keep logs to see:
  • how many kills per level
  • what the average loot drops are for specific mobs
  • what my skill levels were (before they got displayed in the UI)
  • check /auc sellers and prices for an item
  • parse damage with different weapons
  • the frequency of mob placeholders
  • etc.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cheater program.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh.....so it's cheating.
It’s like hiring an expensive lawyer that finds the best loopholes so your business pays zero in taxes at the end of the year. Not technically cheating, but a total scummy fat cat move that apparently everyone of any sort of means is already doing.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Idk but it sounds

Not classic
neither here nor there, one of our guildmates had a parser but you couldn't see it while in game. It didn't place overlays/ give real time readouts (You couldn't window EQ). All it did was parse DPS that you could take a look at after exiting the game.

So parsers were classic (around kunark is when my anecdote took place, specifically remember him parsing us in Karnors at captain camp) but having on screen displays etc are certainly not. If someone can provide screenshots of such a thing then there can be no argument. I haven't seen one posted yet.

The guys who are all about their GINA info have made the connection that because parsers were there then GINA is cool. Pound Sand otherwise.

Edit: For the guys saying they did their own programs for timers, how did you get them to work while EQ was not in a window, were their any conflicts or was this done on an extra computer?
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-18-2019 at 01:55 PM..
Old 10-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Aviak

Guide? Just ask someone for their GINA package files they spent hours creating. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Idk but it sounds

Not classic
It's pretty classic. I had log readers back in the day.

Logs are amazing for finding your corpse when you wake up hungover, finding the name of some guy who were supposed to get back with about whatever, searching for auctions after afking in EC for 6 hours, learning about combat and resists, tracking loot, all kinds of whatnot like that.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 10-18-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Old 10-18-2019, 01:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What is GINA?
GINA can give you timers, overlays, and audio alerts by reading your log file. Log file readers such as parsers and GINA are allowed and, as far as we know, not possible to disallow. The debate rages as to whether they make the game more fun, but they can make it pretty convenient.

Check out this remarkable example: https://youtu.be/sRf5AuS0MLA
Last edited by Videri; 10-18-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Closed Thread