Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Fire Giant

Cool Stembolt's Ultimate Ranger Guide 1-60 in Ten Days

Hey guys so now and then I meet a new ranger who doesn't know the in-and-outs of rangering so I thought it would be a good idea to write this guide to help new players learn. After all that's what I'm all about. Now, your first reaction might be, "But Stem, you don't have a ranger and you've never made a ranger have you?", and I'd say, "Of course not what do you think I'm on drugs, who plays a ranger?" But I mean its a ranger, how hard can it be? So let's start the guide!

Now I'm gonna break this guide into categories: weapons, spells, and strategy. Strategy is really the least important because all ranger fights end in a corpse run so I'll leave that for last, weapons are pretty important because if you don't look like you're trying to hit something you'll probably get kicked out of the group, but the most important category is obviously spells. Its the closest you'll ever get to being a real class by casting spells in Sebilis that druids are mastering in Crushbone. That's a huge perk and something to look forward to.

SPELLS
Ok, so as we've mentioned rangers are the master of kindergarten druid spells. This will come in handy because it makes you look flashy and cool during the fight. One really powerful aspect of a ranger is that no one knows what spells they can cast, if anyone asks what you're doing just randomly mince up a few god's names and add something that sounds like a flower. They won't be able to disprove you!

"Hey Treeblades what was that spell you cast on that orc a minute ago, did you try to heal it? And why did you snare yourself and change your weapon to a book?", and you respond, "Nah man that was Prexurefall's Seedling it is why we won, what you call snare is actually Treant's Focus and helps me regen mana, and the book is a focus item to raise my wisdom, the most important ranger stat", and they'll be amazed at your knowledge. They won't know why but they will know you're really important. The key aspect of being a ranger is making yourself seem really important.

But Stembolt, what types of spells should I cast?

Alright, you're obviously missing the point, it is often said that its not what you say but how you say it. Never is that more true than when playing a ranger. Cast with style and you'll be fine. Personally I've never cared what a ranger is casting, they're an enigma, the kind of thing no one wants you to elaborate on. Asking someone if they want to hear about ranger skills is like asking your friends if they want to hear about your wife's monthly cycles, its a 100% safe bet no one cares.

But Steeembolt, I really wanna be a good ranger!

Okay, fine but you're really making this too hard on yourself. Here is a set of steps I recommend.

1: Harmony - I looked and it looks like rangers can cast Harmony. Here is my guide to using Harmony. Don't. Ever. If the group finds out you can harmony that is a lot of extra work and if you mess its going to ruin the mystery and enigmatic appeal that you bring to the group. On the off chance that someone in the group does know what harmony does, play dumb. Every time they ask you to cast it, pretend you're trying and keep casting it on yourself, people's pets, the group, AoE everyone, tell them that it won't do what they say it will and that you've got too much on your ranger plate to deal with their theories. That should take care of that.

2: Wolf Form - Best thing about wolf form, no one can tell if you're attacking, sitting, standing, medding. Personally after I got wolf form I'd recommend just auto following the rogue or monk so you're always standing near a mob. Go afk, take a nap, whatever. Get some free ranger exp and set a timer to recast wolf form every hour or whatever.

3: Snare - Again, druid spells. If you get asked to cast snare for the group you can't do much to get out of this but you're going to try. Ideally what you want to do is target someone's pet beside the mob so that you get the spell effects but it seems like it resisted. After 10-15 "attempts" at snaring the mob just tell your group you're sorry but it looks like they are immune to ranger snare, this is when you can compliment how good the druid is at casting snare and ask him to try. Once it lands you'll be off the hook.

WEAPONS
I'd go with fine steel honestly.

STRATEGY
Mystique! Mystery! Fantasy! Glamour! This is why we play rangers. Not to be useful or helpful but to be hollywood action stars surrounded by the flickering flame of success(ful faking)! I hope you have found this guide to be useful, I know it seems brief but really there isn't much to know about rangers.

Remember, if you ever encounter a situation where you don't know what to do, lie. Lie lie lie. The best thing to do if you're caught in a lie is to make up a more elaborate lie to cover that up, etc. You'll get the hang of it.

Happy hunting (fellow?) rangers!
Last edited by myxomatosii; 12-10-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Kobold

no funny detected
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no funny detected
I don't see why there would be, this is a guide.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Kobold

Thumbs up

A+++. Would read again.
Closed Thread