Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This, by the way, was what prompted me to ask if you’re a flat earther, not the global warming stuff. Did you not notice the “epistemic status: fiction” at the top? Or the fiction tag at the bottom? Even if it didn’t say that, you just blindly believe a story on some random blog with absolutely 0 sources or evidence?
Only if it validates me and makes me feel good about my flawless rock solid understanding of Newton's first law.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This, by the way, was what prompted me to ask if you’re a flat earther, not the global warming stuff. Did you not notice the “epistemic status: fiction” at the top? Or the fiction tag at the bottom? Even if it didn’t say that, you just blindly believe a story on some random blog with absolutely 0 sources or evidence?
Critical Thinking isn't a trait many hookworm infested redhats have.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This, by the way, was what prompted me to ask if you’re a flat earther, not the global warming stuff. Did you not notice the “epistemic status: fiction” at the top? Or the fiction tag at the bottom?
Ahaha, I have been trolled! I was totally not expecting something like that from SSC which is usually dry beyond belief.

Quote:
Even if it didn’t say that, you just blindly believe a story on some random blog with absolutely 0 sources or evidence?
It's probably confirmation bias. The probability that something like this is happening somewhere is near 100%, just not as effectively. And it was a good story!

Oh and the Guardian is not a random blog. Here for example is the NY Times:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary Clinton
“I think Europe needs to get a handle on migration because that is what lit the flame,” Mrs. Clinton said in the interview with The Guardian, which was conducted before the United States midterm elections this month.

“I admire the very generous and compassionate approaches that were taken particularly by leaders like Angela Merkel, but I think it is fair to say Europe has done its part, and must send a very clear message — ‘we are not going to be able to continue provide refuge and support’ — because if we don’t deal with the migration issue it will continue to roil the body politic,” she said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin
Critical Thinking isn't a trait many hookworm infested redhats have.
Relax pal, everyone makes mistakes from time to time.
Last edited by Raev; 11-24-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Old 11-24-2018, 09:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Relax pal, everyone makes mistakes from time to time.
A million one-off mistakes and social media shares = FAKE NEWS. This is a perfect example of that phenomenon when it is legitimate. You read a fictional piece, took it as fact, did not bother to research, shared it to a group of people, some of which probably also read it as fact (*cough* Mick,) and thus starting the domino effect. Maybe you do your fact-checking 99% of the time, but the 1% matters too with bullshit like this.

This is something I feel VERY strongly about, even when it comes to headlines or articles favoring democrats i.e. a meme got passed around amongst people I respect and agree with most of the time that showed a quote from Donald Trump saying if he ever ran for president he'd go republican because they are the dumbest voters and believe anything on Fox News. While this lent proof to the fact that Trump is a liar unfit for the presidency, willing to do anything to gain power, I was skeptical. Sure enough, it was fake. He never said that. I commented that to my friends that posted it. SPREAD TRUTH, DUDES
twitch.tv/kayyte_p99
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Planar Protector

Fake news everywhere. The UK is as bad. Not everyone has to like Tommy Robinson to understand that the media hates him, tells lies and latches onto a planted piece of evidence and makes a story out of it.

Recent example, he takes his registration off his car and puts one with a personalised one that would cost maybe 200k-500k GBP...then posted a photo on the internet to see what would happen. The media took the bait and went on a rampage to say "look at what his 'supporters' are paying for!!!!"

Add in what's going on with Brexit etc...it's no wonder nobody watches the news anymore, it's 90% bullshit.

At least on imgur/reddit/other places you can see cat gifs and nice news.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
A million one-off mistakes and social media shares = FAKE NEWS. This is a perfect example of that phenomenon when it is legitimate. You read a fictional piece, took it as fact, did not bother to research, shared it to a group of people, some of which probably also read it as fact (*cough* Mick,) and thus starting the domino effect. Maybe you do your fact-checking 99% of the time, but the 1% matters too with bullshit like this.

This is something I feel VERY strongly about, even when it comes to headlines or articles favoring democrats i.e. a meme got passed around amongst people I respect and agree with most of the time that showed a quote from Donald Trump saying if he ever ran for president he'd go republican because they are the dumbest voters and believe anything on Fox News. While this lent proof to the fact that Trump is a liar unfit for the presidency, willing to do anything to gain power, I was skeptical. Sure enough, it was fake. He never said that. I commented that to my friends that posted it. SPREAD TRUTH, DUDES
facts

the age of (mis)information is a trying one
Old 11-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Planar Protector

Trump so dumb

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...NwULCw9Kn6aAJU
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no u dum
Old 11-25-2018, 01:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fake news everywhere. The UK is as bad. Not everyone has to like Tommy Robinson to understand that the media hates him, tells lies and latches onto a planted piece of evidence and makes a story out of it.

Recent example, he takes his registration off his car and puts one with a personalised one that would cost maybe 200k-500k GBP...then posted a photo on the internet to see what would happen. The media took the bait and went on a rampage to say "look at what his 'supporters' are paying for!!!!"

Add in what's going on with Brexit etc...it's no wonder nobody watches the news anymore, it's 90% bullshit.

At least on imgur/reddit/other places you can see cat gifs and nice news.
It's business interest dominating the public good. All good tho', right?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbonkers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
facts

the age of (mis)information is a trying one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8efB93davlk
Closed Thread