Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the only thing that has been consistently proven about live CS ... is that the GMs/guides in that era were anything but consistent.
GM's/guides being able to abuse their power or do things on a whim if they wanted, is a separate issue from the mandated rules of the game designers. It's a proven fact of what their mindset was. Nobody was getting banned for damaging mobs and contesting the content ("kill stealing", as the less adventurous playerbase began calling it), and contesting content was always part of the game, even if it took on a different form when the PnP came about.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GM's/guides being able to abuse their power or do things on a whim if they wanted, is a separate issue from the mandated rules of the game designers. It's a proven fact of what their mindset was. Nobody was getting banned for damaging mobs and contesting the content ("kill stealing", as the less adventurous playerbase began calling it), and contesting content was always part of the game, even if it took on a different form when the PnP came about.
I'm no expert on the classic era GM policies (my cousin did work as an SOE CSR not too long after the classic period ... but even she doesn't remember much). Really I don't think anyone is much of an expert ... and I think that's a very important point.

Very few people even filed contested content complaints in the classic era. Again, I have no facts on the exact percentage, but if you read accounts about this stuff from people who played during live one thing you will hear consistently, over and over again, is "I never petitioned anyone over contested content (or even thought to petition over that)".

So not only does this mean that we don't have a lot of data points to work with, it also means that whatever the policy was on live, a huge part of that policy was player ignorance (of the rules, of how contested content should be resolved, of when to contact a GM, etc.). Project 1999 can never restore that ignorance, and as such saying "P99 should do this thing that live did (that only worked because of the ignorance)" is an inherently flawed proposition.

Live was an apple, we're an orange, and nothing can change that.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-13-2019 at 05:19 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

The argument of "player ignorance" can be made about virtually ANYTHING in the game. P99 is usually only trying to recreate the shell of the game as it existed, not changing things based upon player knowledge now. They just want to put into place the exact mechanics that existed back then, so people can see how it worked (and have nostalgia fests). A much better game could be created if they changed their design goal, but that does not seem to be their current goal.

The concept of player ignorance is actually part of why the soft sect of the playerbase got so offended about "kill stealing" in the first place. They weren't trying to play an MMORPG; they went into the game expecting more of a console type experience, with multi-player option. Further, the vast majority of the playerbase back then had little idea about where the best exp spots were, or even where to go at all to level up. So as soon as they found a decent place to exp, they tended to want to stay in that zone. When you combine that with server overpopulation (a big fault on the part of Verant at the time), it lead to some players feeling like they couldn't level up well enough. The level of competition kept getting higher and they couldn't cope with it.

Your core thesis is wrong to begin with, because this topic was talked about ALL over the internet back then, and on the official Everquest message boards. The game developers were fully aware and did not outlaw it until the PnP. It was part of the game. It was part of pretty much every MUD in existence before EQ existed, which is what the game was based on.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:09 PM
Fire Giant

Hmm manifesto posting again. Eh Z.
I will say it again start a new thread with your ideas and see how many you can convert to your ideology of how the new server should be run.

With respect

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 08-13-2019 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Clarifying
Old 08-13-2019, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Admirable loramin bait
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Fire Giant

That was a long time ago. Memories vary wildly... I distinctly remember camps, of course. I also remember always having a HT up to outburst the occasional intrepid person showing up to nail a named as it would pop.

But a constant "competition" for mobs via doing more damage was more of an outlier, at least on Veeshan (the greatest server). Both camps and DPS-racing bring out the worst in people, but that is just the way this game works until they made most named mobs trivial due to easy to achieve upgrades in low/mid-tier raiding (especially with PoP and level cap increase to 65).
Old 08-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm manifesto posting again. Eh Z.
I will say it again start a new thread with your ideas and see how many you can convert to your ideology of how the new server should be run.
It's not "my ideas". It's factual history, and P99 states they are trying to recreate it. People here need to stop trying to alter textbook history, or being willfully ignorant of it, just because you don't like the way it sounds. If you didn't play EQ extensively in early/mid '99, didn't follow its development, didn't read the messages boards back then, and didn't play MUD's in the mid-to-late 90's, then you simply don't know what you're talking about. I'd like to see an accurate representation of history preserved, not a ludicrous "War of Northern Aggression" type mentality. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Fire Giant

Ok Zuranthium

You will not convert me. I will play however the dev run the sever.

maybe stop trying to derail post to your view whatever that is.

Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 08-13-2019, 06:59 PM
Fire Giant

if you feel so strongly about this view of yours.

then take it to bug forum and post all your proof and data.

post walls of text in this forum those not get you heard to change new server direction but just maybe you will get a response from someone that matters there

With respect

Nilbog:

Closed Thread