Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 05:03 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Thulghor Send a message via MSN to Thulghor Send a message via Yahoo to Thulghor

Think I figured it out. Got the music to play again, but it took a lot of convoluted effort. Apparently Windows 10 and Windows 8 before it, handle MIDI files poorly, and they got rid of something called the "MIDI-Mapper" or something like that.

After doing the BassMIDI Driver thing above, and using Coolsoft Virtual MIDI Synth (http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth), and using Vista MIDI picker, and Vista and Weven MIDI Out Setter (setting them to the BassMIDI Synth drivers, and picking that sound font 1mgm.sf2) it started playing again. Puts up a tray icon now when I start EQ for Coolsoft Virtual MIDI Synth and plays the music correctly.

EQ uses mostly old .xmi files, which seem to only open normally for me in Miles Sound Tools. Thankfully, they play now outside of those tools.

I blame Windows 10. Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

I hope that helps someone else too.

See also: http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/bl...pper-windows-8
Last edited by Thulghor; 08-26-2015 at 05:10 AM..
Old 08-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Large Rat

I think I finally found a solution to the sound problem. I'm not sure if this will work out for any of you, but it did for me.

Solution

Basically, all I did was right click on the desktop and select personalize. A screen comes up in which you must select Themes and then Advances Sound Settings. Three windows popped up saying they have found a problem; some advanced sound option was causing problems with my sound card and speakers which didn't play the MIDI files correctly I'm guessing. Just click accept, that you do want to revert back to the old settings and "ok" on the last window that comes up. After that I just started up EQ and everything was playing perfectly.

Hopefully this helps some of you on Windows 10.