Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy79bu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have seen someone killed in pvp for their camp...but that's part of the pvp right?
yeah I'm not talking about that, i had a naked bard follow me around for half a day doing nothing but mezzing me, and a dude log on, kill me, log off like 20 times while xping in splitpaw

made it to level 40 before realizing the server wasn't for me, if that shit sounds fun for other people they should totally try red lol
Old 12-01-2020, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongpow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah I'm not talking about that, i had a naked bard follow me around for half a day doing nothing but mezzing me, and a dude log on, kill me, log off like 20 times while xping in splitpaw

made it to level 40 before realizing the server wasn't for me, if that shit sounds fun for other people they should totally try red lol
Never XP in Splitpaw.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Naw not true. It's not the pixels, it's the winning. The competition. That's what makes raiding on this game fun. Without competition, raiding EverQuest is kind of a chore.
This may be partially true but I think you're overstating it. I don't see any of the top guilds winning targets and giving the pixels away, or organizing competition in a way where the pixels are not the main focus.

Additionally, the number of people that I see go on at length about who "deserves" pixels, and who has "earned" them also suggests that it is indeed the pixels driving things.

Not to say that the competition isn't fun in it's own right - it is! I wish people put a little thought into it to abstract things a bit, though. The golem race agreement was a good example of what I mean here.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9quaint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never XP on Red.
ftfy
Old 12-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twochain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The competition. That's what makes raiding on this game fun. Without competition, raiding EverQuest is kind of a chore.
What competition are you speaking of? Who can train who and get away with it? top 3 guilds get banned and this is fun? I haven't seen any competition on this server yet. one guild waits for other to clear so they can leapfrog with their clerics full mana and raid force buffed is competition? If this doesn't work they train each other to get the mob. Even the races go to the person with the best ping/zone times. No real skill involved in living close to the server. so there really isn't any competition there either, if the same person is getting the FTE every single time. I guess some people complaining about the trains is fun to them, as it gives them something to focus on. so its more fun then their real lifes. so ya competition. People complain about raid force sizes, yet there is only so much loot for the 400 high end raiders that are on this server, so they have to go to some guild, or leave the server.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What competition are you speaking of? Who can train who and get away with it? top 3 guilds get banned and this is fun? I haven't seen any competition on this server yet. one guild waits for other to clear so they can leapfrog with their clerics full mana and raid force buffed is competition? If this doesn't work they train each other to get the mob. Even the races go to the person with the best ping/zone times. No real skill involved in living close to the server. so there really isn't any competition there either, if the same person is getting the FTE every single time. I guess some people complaining about the trains is fun to them, as it gives them something to focus on. so its more fun then their real lifes. so ya competition. People complain about raid force sizes, yet there is only so much loot for the 400 high end raiders that are on this server, so they have to go to some guild, or leave the server.
I softly agree with some of the points you are making. What you're complaining about is a result of rooted dragons. Before rooted dragons, things were much more competitive in terms of skill. There is still room for playmakers in present day raiding, but not like before. And it's definitely overtuned, it shouldn't take 120+ guilds/alliances to have a chance at a mob in NTov. Let alone the stalemates, trying to pull mobs into camp without training 300 people, trying to leap frog into risky engagements in order to secure kills. For sure.

However, while ping certainly helps, as it does with literally every single internet game, it is NOT as important as you are making it out to be on this server. A good portion of the best fters/cothers this server has had were either euro or asian. Riot's best fter rocks 130+ ping. Zarza won about 400 coth races with 350 ping. Races that you are required to zone in order to complete definitely favors ping, however, that is not the norm for races.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:27 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dont often agree with ya but yup. At the least demote furoar for the guilds own rep. Riptoes was booted in a quickness for same thing.
^
Old 12-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrcfrx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This may be partially true but I think you're overstating it. I don't see any of the top guilds winning targets and giving the pixels away, or organizing competition in a way where the pixels are not the main focus.

Additionally, the number of people that I see go on at length about who "deserves" pixels, and who has "earned" them also suggests that it is indeed the pixels driving things.

Not to say that the competition isn't fun in it's own right - it is! I wish people put a little thought into it to abstract things a bit, though. The golem race agreement was a good example of what I mean here.
While there has been numerous times over the years that whatever guild I was in at the time gave away tov loot for free (knight rots lets be honest), giving away shit for free would definitely break the spirit of newer raiders who have been saving their dkp for that particular item. But you would be surprised how many people are really just in it for the fun of it. Take a look at legday's post? About the 8 man VP snipe team. You think Legday gave a shit that he looted a PD robe on a wizard he hasn't played in 4 years and will probably never play again? Naw. Most of the established raiders on this server don't really give a shit about loot that much. I have a bunch of plat and a bunch of dkp, but I really don't need anything else. Sure, would it be cool to have a vulak robe on my enchanter? Hell yes. But my monk already has an abashis. And my enc is OP as is. Doesn't really matter.

NOW let me explain this DESERVED and EARNED pixels debacle. Yes, that's something that's floated around a lot. Certain hard core players are turned off to the idea of giving away free Vulaks. You know why? Because there's always 30+ on this server who have been saving DKP for over a year to get a Gharns. Or an Abashi. Or a Robe. I know two people who are literally one vulak piece away from being completely BiS. And it's why they still play this game. And it's been 1..2...3 years and they STILL haven't been able to acquire that last item. And then, to cap it off, you get stuck in Vulak prison. You can't bid any of your DKP for cool stuff for your alts, (or a ST key for any of your characters *cough*), because you have to save your dkp in order to stay #1 on the leader boards in DKP so that IF THIS IS THE TIME IT ACTUALLY DROPS, they can finally get their item after literal years. And from there it's a badge of honor. People know I raided years to get my abashi. (I got super fucking lucky getting it, I was top monk dkp for all of like 16 hours and it was my first time being on top ever, and I WAS NOT pacing to keep up with slaysh/reep etc, super small window for me to get it)
Old 12-01-2020, 05:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
While there has been numerous times over the years that whatever guild I was in at the time gave away tov loot for free (knight rots lets be honest), giving away shit for free would definitely break the spirit of newer raiders who have been saving their dkp for that particular item. But you would be surprised how many people are really just in it for the fun of it. Take a look at legday's post? About the 8 man VP snipe team. You think Legday gave a shit that he looted a PD robe on a wizard he hasn't played in 4 years and will probably never play again? Naw. Most of the established raiders on this server don't really give a shit about loot that much. I have a bunch of plat and a bunch of dkp, but I really don't need anything else. Sure, would it be cool to have a vulak robe on my enchanter? Hell yes. But my monk already has an abashis. And my enc is OP as is. Doesn't really matter.

NOW let me explain this DESERVED and EARNED pixels debacle. Yes, that's something that's floated around a lot. Certain hard core players are turned off to the idea of giving away free Vulaks. You know why? Because there's always 30+ on this server who have been saving DKP for over a year to get a Gharns. Or an Abashi. Or a Robe. I know two people who are literally one vulak piece away from being completely BiS. And it's why they still play this game. And it's been 1..2...3 years and they STILL haven't been able to acquire that last item. And then, to cap it off, you get stuck in Vulak prison. You can't bid any of your DKP for cool stuff for your alts, (or a ST key for any of your characters *cough*), because you have to save your dkp in order to stay #1 on the leader boards in DKP so that IF THIS IS THE TIME IT ACTUALLY DROPS, they can finally get their item after literal years. And from there it's a badge of honor. People know I raided years to get my abashi. (I got super fucking lucky getting it, I was top monk dkp for all of like 16 hours and it was my first time being on top ever, and I WAS NOT pacing to keep up with slaysh/reep etc, super small window for me to get it)
summary: it's about the pixels, after all.

I know there's long term players that have stables full of geared toons, warder loot, etc. I know some of them don't really care that much about loot. But that whole second paragraph is just an explanation for why the pixels are what it really is about. I'm not saying it's entirely one or the other, but I think it's missing the mark to say that it's not at all about the pixels - it obviously is, and to a significant degree.

if it were just about the competition, people would have found more interesting ways to compete for things than zerging through trash in ToV, or footracing for FTE for every.single.mob. There's lots of stuff where, with just a little bit of thought, some actual creative competition could be undertaken. Key to this would be, like the golem race agreement, the winner taking most but not all of the winnings. Lots of things people could try that would be fun, that would allow for a variety of different modes of competition, that would open content up for more players, and yes that would distribute pixels differently than under the current status quo.

I don't think you'd see a ton of interest in such a change in dynamic from many because they'd rather take a chance at winning everything in a zero-sum game, than risk losing out on potential pixels that would to to a runner up. And/or many prefer the thrill of denying their rivals accomplishing anything (which, in fairness, would cut against the argument that it's really about the pixels!)

Hope this doesn't come across as overly negative or argumentative. I actually really enjoy having these kinds of conversations.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Kobold

Can we get back on topic please - Furoar is a scumbag and he should go play COD!
Closed Thread