Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Sarnak

Question AC or HP for tanks - equivalency

Just wondering everyone's input on the equivalency of HP and AC for tanks (i.e 1 ac = 10hp)?

Also, what would be the softcap for AC where it becomes less useful?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Fire Giant

It's difficult to say a stright exchange rate. The softcap for AC depends on level, and AC mitigates damage while HP just helps you take more of it. It depends on your healer etc..
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Planar Protector

You really don't have too much of a choice in AC/HP until Augs come into play, but generally 1AC = 5 HP.

I'd side with the HP side of that equation though. CHeal is not capping on anyone on this server and such a large percent of Kunark damage comes from non-melee (or due to a large damage bonus rather than a high Damage Interval).

I'm not sure how it is on this server, but during this era on live (and through Velious), AC was hardcapped (Source = Khavok, developer). The high HP stuff generally came with a shit load of AC anyways.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You really don't have too much of a choice in AC/HP until Augs come into play, but generally 1AC = 5 HP.

I'd side with the HP side of that equation though. CHeal is not capping on anyone on this server and such a large percent of Kunark damage comes from non-melee (or due to a large damage bonus rather than a high Damage Interval).

I'm not sure how it is on this server, but during this era on live (and through Velious), AC was hardcapped (Source = Khavok, developer). The high HP stuff generally came with a shit load of AC anyways.
Just for fun: I took all AC for my pally once augs came into play. I took a 1 to 10 ratio for hp/ac on gear. Pally was a twink, but he could out tank many of our mains due to his high AC.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Kobold

From a warrior guide on the wiki...

"An items combat value (CV) is equal to its AC, plus one for every 1pt of Str, 15 HP, 6 Dex, 6 Agi, and 5 Sta. I also add one to its CV for every 1% haste increase.

CV = AC + Str + (total of hp, dex, agi, sta, and save bonuses) + % haste."

http://wiki.project1999.org/Guide_fo...g_My_Greave.3F
Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Kobold

Just a thought, but i seem to remember warriors going full HP during velious/luclin/pop for max HP during CH chains?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

they both matter to an extent, but it also depends on who's healing you. if your only healer is a druid, then you wanna get as much AC as possible. if your healer is a cleric with Complete Heal, then obviously a larger HP reservoir is a good thing.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Sarnak

Imo complete heal makes this question pretty cut and dry
Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippofra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imo complete heal makes this question pretty cut and dry
Not necessarily. It's always going to involve a mathematical analysis. Keep in mind that CHs are not unlimited, and in a raid situation post-Velious, the manapools of the clerics will matter greatly. An increase in AC might lower a mobs average DPS more so that the speed at which the CH rotation fires slows resulting in a long term savings of mana. That said, if you're fighting a mob that's likely to hit for maximum damage very often, then HPs will likely come out ahead. Only at the extreme ends of the spectrum will it be cut and dry. Much of the middle is a balancing test to find a happy medium between the diminishing returns of AC versus +hp.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieza_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not necessarily. It's always going to involve a mathematical analysis. Keep in mind that CHs are not unlimited, and in a raid situation post-Velious, the manapools of the clerics will matter greatly. An increase in AC might lower a mobs average DPS more so that the speed at which the CH rotation fires slows resulting in a long term savings of mana. That said, if you're fighting a mob that's likely to hit for maximum damage very often, then HPs will likely come out ahead. Only at the extreme ends of the spectrum will it be cut and dry. Much of the middle is a balancing test to find a happy medium between the diminishing returns of AC versus +hp.
I'm with you for all classes less warriors. I was thinking even more about this, and I remember the dozens of AoW fights. Lots of rounds hitting for full damage, and HP was flat out required. The low HP tanks would get 1 rounded. I seem to remember some NToV fights being the same way. Velious is the land of CH chain tanking...
Closed Thread