Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Fire Giant

Based on what you last 3 posters said it seems like Monk is the way to go. Gauranteed AFK safety, ease of use and high groupability if I want. Monk it is. Thank you all for the advice. Now Human or Iksar? JK ikky all the way.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Banned

Human monk is considerably better looking than Ikky monk IMO. Fashionquest is important
Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Planar Protector

Ranger:

-a lot of utility
-requires mana thus med time
-tracking, self buffs, sow
-lower dps and good dps options more expensive
-more effort and skill required to compete with total monk package
-squishy tank but can tank nonetheless with strong aggro

Monk

-FD is godly
-higher dps with cheaper high dps options
-straightforward play aside from splitting at high levels
-less skill/effort needed outside of pulling tough content
-limited other utility, no innate sow (jboots vs sow pots required)
-mend and higher cap bandage skill
-instant afk with FD
-weight limitations is annoying
-very strong defensively tanking (solo/partner/group) but limitations based on weapon choices etc as it relates to aggro

Monk is simply a really strong and player friendly class in classic EQ. Ranger is loads of fun but for your case monk seems the ideal fit.

At the extreme end of bleeding edge content ranger dps catches up somewhat (better rarely with the perfect setup on a true shot raid burn.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 02-22-2018 at 07:41 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Definitely monk in terms of ease. I'm a recluse with a ranger I soloed to 54. Fear kiting to mid 40's and bow-rotting past that. It was pretty painful past 45. I never had a fungi so melee solo (efficiency wise) was just not an option. I would expect even a budget monk would breeze past a ranger. With a Fungi and a decent staff in the mid 50's SolB is going to be cake. A ranger it's gonna be hit or miss.

The nice thing with a monk is being able to FD whenever you need and just regen over time. Nothing sees through it.

There are definitely angles to each class and why I feel they are both great. If "fun" means less frustrating failed solo attempts go monk. If "fun" means casting spells, making arrows and all that I'd go ranger.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The nice thing with a monk is being able to FD whenever you need and just regen over time. Nothing sees through it.
I'm not sure how true this is. I'm fairly certain being caught up in a passing AoE can break FD. As such, in places where mobs like to cast AoE spells (SolA!) it can be worth being that little bit extra sneaky in where you flop your AFK.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure how true this is. I'm fairly certain being caught up in a passing AoE can break FD. As such, in places where mobs like to cast AoE spells (SolA!) it can be worth being that little bit extra sneaky in where you flop your AFK.
That's a good point. Then again, it would break invis/hide as well.

FD is a fairly good afk method. Not as good as zoning into a "safe zone" but still better than most.
Closed Thread