Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default A little Green advice

So I've been away from EQ for a long time. (maybe since 2006/7) I previously played a mage so I've decided on something that will be a bit more group centric: a shaman. I don't know anyone who plays eq and I enjoy the class so hopefully the shaman will be valued by others for grouping.

In anycase, I'm looking to really immerse myself in the whole game and experience everything I can get out of it. I doubt I will look to join a guild right away unless people here think it is a good idea, but towards end game I definitely want to raid with a guild that is dedicated to that sort of thing.

To that end is there anything in or outside of eq that I should be familiar with before going down that road? For instance I'm totally unfamiliar with third party means of communication that guilds us these days. I have literally not played group content in an mmo since I quit eq years ago.

Other than that I guess is a shaman a good choice? Is it necessary that I min/max the character? I ask because I'm not sure I want to be a troll, and that seems to be the favored race. Is it better to guild up early or let the dust settle to see what the top guilds are doing? Any advice to someone who is essentially a total newb is appreciated
Old 10-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Kobold

Shamans are great at everything. Soloing, Grouping, Raiding, you name it.

A lot of people use a browser based program called "Discord". You need to sign up on it with an e-mail account.

I don't think there is a necessity to min/max a shaman, but from what I know it's generally considered an Ogre for the Front Stun Immunity (FSI).

If your not min/max'ing you should just play as what you want. In the end, no one is going to exclude a shaman in a raid because of their race.

The wiki here on P99 is really great and I just have a few links you might want to check out.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%...election_Guide
https://wiki.project1999.com/Shaman

That's just my two cents, I'm sure there are many others who could give great advice. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Aviak

Welcome back to EQ! As far as guilding up I just kinda let it happen if I meet a cool group of guilded folk in my adventures. I think it's more important especially at low levels to remember or /friend people you enjoy grouping with.

As far as shaman goes choose the race you want, troll Regen is a solid plus, ogre frontal stun immunity is helpful for getting off root while being beat on, barbs have good race and polar bear going for them. Ogre and troll get to start close to guk/ec/port spots and don't have to travel nearly as far to buy spells. It's really for you to decide, your group/guild won't care at all which flavor shaman you go.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

For a shaman theres a few stuff you probably won't try to kill solo that you would want to be an ogre in order to accomplish. If I was on a non pvp server and I was raiding, I would be a barbarian because being KOS is not as fun as being non KOS..to me.

Ogre is the min max race. Not troll.

You don't need to min max any class. That is for psychos only. The shaman really needs an expensive level 60 spell called torpor to become extra super powerful.

If you're going to group, most any class works fine N dandy.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't need to min max any class. That is for psychos only
TRUTH!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Planar Protector

With that said I always make my classes with their maximum potential in mind, and I weigh that against my maximum potential for fun. If I make a warrior I ain't making a woodelf even though I did in 1999. Its fun to do it smart. Its just that you don't have to do everything with the intention to get best in slot across the board.

My favorite builds were best in slot tradeable for low level pvp action.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:26 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for the responses everyone. Those links are really useful too!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Kobold

I personally think that permanently having an extra invisible fungi tunic is better than frontal stun immunity, which is why I played a troll. Iksars also have regen but they can't use the Kunark armor like Jaundiced Bone Bracer for example.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbogast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I personally think that permanently having an extra invisible fungi tunic is better than frontal stun immunity, which is why I played a troll. Iksars also have regen but they can't use the Kunark armor like Jaundiced Bone Bracer for example.
Its definately not fungi level regen. Its only 4hp a tick extra at lvl 50. Its only supposed to be 2hp classic though.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
hopefully the shaman will be valued by others for grouping.
In lower level groups you might be primary healer, back up otherwise. Everyone loves shaman buffs especially tanks. Your main job will be to slow, and if there is no chanter than also haste. At all other times you'll probably be dancing to get mana back.

Quote:
I doubt I will look to join a guild right away unless people here think it is a good idea, but towards end game I definitely want to raid with a guild that is dedicated to that sort of thing.
You want to get into any large starter guild soon. Check the forums. That extra channel is going to help you build your rep and make friends and the chatter will help you know which other guilds are good. Any raiding guilds that form early will be a core of friends from Blue. Those guys aren't going to take just anyone when the price of including a screw-up is so high.

Quote:
For instance I'm totally unfamiliar with third party means of communication that guilds us these days.
Your guild will tell you and help you set up.

Quote:
Is it necessary that I min/max the character?
What, in terms of stats? For the end game it totally doesn't matter because with items and buffs you should be able to cap out all your necessary stats. So starting stats only really matter when leveling up, early to mid game. In terms of the age-old wis vs sta debate, here's what each gets you. Sta gives you more hp. It's not much, but you never die because you run out mana. You die because you run out of hp. Yes I know you can convert mana to hp, but that assumes you're able to cast a heal and not running for the zone. If you're the type of guy who dies with mana left, you probably need more life. Wis gives you a higher mana pool. This is only important in situations where you med up to full and burn all your mana to zero. If you start the fight full and end half full, your wisdom is wasted. So in the vast majority of grouping situations, you won't need a higher mana pool. You will need your mana pool in certain raid situations, but by then you should have a nice wis armor set to swap in just for that one fight. If you're the type of guy who likes to burn all their mana to kill that one mob, wisdom is for you.

Quote:
I ask because I'm not sure I want to be a troll, and that seems to be the favored race.
The Ogre is the best end game race if you want to solo high-level stuff. This is because you absolutely have to land your slow and a resist will kill you if you get stunned. After the stun duration you will attempt to cast again and even if it lands your health will be so low that you will probably lose the fight or have to run. And if you get stunned again while trying to recast it's game over 100%.

The native regen on the Troll is small but...you convert health to mana, so there's that. It would mean slightly faster soloing but you have that extra experience penalty so it evens out. It does give you higher group efficiency, but it doesn't scale well at higher levels. You'll want those regen items regardless.

Barb levels the fastest. Once you hit 50 that won't matter at all until Kunark comes out and then it will be immaterial again at 60.

If you are min-maxing, for high level soloer and off-tank raider take Ogre. Otherwise Troll.

Having said all that, the best race for shaman is the one that looks and sounds the best. Unlike for example the Warrior, the race choice here is wide open. The differences are not material. What is material is that you're going to listen to your guy get hit and grunt and you'll watch him run and jump and sit, and you want a character that you will like looking at because you will be listening and looking at that shit for a long long time. Go check out some screenshots of different shaman races with epic armors and stuff and see what you like, then create one of each race and watch them do some stuff and pick one.

Some final notes. The shaman is gear dependent. If you want to solo well, you will need high AC because you will need to take hits. So this limits your choices because you will have to pass up good stat items with worthless AC. Also, you won't be soloing much in the mid-game. You can do it early in your career, but once the mobs start hitting hard it's group time for you. This will last until you get to your mid-30s and even then you won't really shine until you cap out.
Last edited by BlackBellamy; 10-17-2019 at 11:09 PM..
Closed Thread