Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphys [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
srsly when magical weapons were rare and actually there was a period when you were like, " This wisp is going to kill me "

Polished granate tomahawk + Screaming mace = twink warrior, he has half a set of bronze wtf +2 str rings too
Yes those were great times and now that you actually have knowledge of the game 17 years later you would live in a PGT+Screaming mace world for a few weeks before you knew you could upgrade to something better. The "newness" factor only lasts so long especially for a 17 year old game.

All a new server would do is give a fresh start. The neckbeard hardcore players will still run laps around the casuals who will complain they still cant do anything cause of the hardcores 6 months in.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by korilla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the neckbeards will neckbeard that server too.
the neckbeards arent the problem. this server's progression was skewed by unfinished code being released and exploited, as well as the timeline being adjusted while the server was live, with no reset or fixes in-between. the hackers/exploiters are the problem, and though their exploits were patched out, the issues they created were never undone.
the p99 code has been refined since then (with great help from the community) to a working example. were a new server to be launched with the current code, things would turn out very different from the way they are. though, the current state may not be ideal.. so i think its wise of the devs to not release a new server until they know it wont be exploited again. this is why im wondering about how far out the finished product is.

i remember reading somewhere on forums before velious happened, that the build was almost finished, but i havent heard much since.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Project Manager

I can't give you an ETA, but I can add some information.

Since Kunark development, we have used a rule-based system when developing content and code. What this means is the work needed to add/remove timeline features only has to be done once, and a rule applied for the era.

For example, when a server is released (original eq launch date: march 1999), rubicite and manastones should drop until ~October 1999. When a new server is launched, all that is necessary is to set the correct era rules. The era switches allow us to apply rules to spawns, loottables, items, spells, doors, tradeskills, etc so they may be enabled/disabled without even a patch.

It has been, and still is the plan to release a timeline correct server a certain amount of time after Velious is complete. Velious still lacks 2 zones; Stonebrunt and Chardok revamp. There are patches between and after those times which need to be developed.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't give you an ETA, but I can add some information.

Since Kunark development, we have used a rule-based system when developing content and code. What this means is the work needed to add/remove timeline features only has to be done once, and a rule applied for the era.

For example, when a server is released (original eq launch date: march 1999), rubicite and manastones should drop until ~October 1999. When a new server is launched, all that is necessary is to set the correct era rules. The era switches allow us to apply rules to spawns, loottables, items, spells, doors, tradeskills, etc so they may be enabled/disabled without even a patch.

It has been, and still is the plan to release a timeline correct server a certain amount of time after Velious is complete. Velious still lacks 2 zones; Stonebrunt and Chardok revamp. There are patches between and after those times which need to be developed.
First for holy shit hype. Thankyou for some transparency.

Will the new server recycle after a certain point and characters transferred to existing blue? Or will this just be Blue 2.0 redux.
Last edited by Phenyo; 08-03-2016 at 05:26 PM..
Old 08-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Aviak

Thanks for the update Nilbog
Old 08-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Fire Giant

Awesome. Thank you for everything you do, nilbog.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Server GM

To add to nilbogs post, this project is ran entirely on volunteer hours (sorry to state the obvious). Things may not move at an accelerated pace, but they are getting done. After all RL obligations are out of the way, we sit down and spend hundreds of hours dedicated to this game. If you would like to contribute (Dev or CSR), please put in an app and it will be reviewed.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Will the new server recycle after a certain point and characters transferred to existing blue? Or will this just be Blue 2.0 redux.
There are options which haven't been fully discussed. One option is as you said, once the new server reached the end of Velious, merge those characters back into the original existing p99 server. At that point, start a new one. i.e. Recycle

There will be announcements when those decisions are made.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are options which haven't been fully discussed. One option is as you said, once the new server reached the end of Velious, merge those characters back into the original existing p99 server. At that point, start a new one. i.e. Recycle

There will be announcements when those decisions are made.
Thanks for taking the time to elaborate and all the hard work you do.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

We're just beta testers... truth is the real p99 will be an automated private server for the staff and pals.

No petition spamming, MQ RMTing griefers allowed! Sorry, lads [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Closed Thread