Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Kobold

Rangers are kings of the RD (Real Death)
Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers are kings of the RD (Real Death)
Yeah if your level number doesn't bother you too much and you enjoy corpse runs...solo a ranger today! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druid. Make Monies. Twink Monk.
Will take many many many many hours of porting on the druid to twink out a monk lmao
Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enxienty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Will take many many many many hours of porting on the druid to twink out a monk lmao
Fine, fine, GEAR Monk then.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm still really on the fence over the Monk and Necro. What remains not addressed is how well the monk can solo (untwinked) past 35ish. I doubt my monk would generate enough money to be able to afford more than a Wus 2 hander and Wus cloth by those levels.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Fire Giant

Don't get your hopes up on soloing 30+ untwinked on a monk, especially if you are carrying more than 14 stone in an attempt to make some bank.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM
Sarnak

I don't think you need to worry about feign death if you want to be afk. There is usually a safe spot to meditate. I never had a problem with going afk on my wizard between quad kiting. Don't worry about the feign death ability and you open yourself up to a lot of choices.

I think wizard would be good for you. Not that gear dependent, once you can quad kite you can go afk for a long time since you burn through a lot of mana killing 4 mobs at once, and you will be needed in raids down the road.

Leveling style alone it is a good class to be for a casual, in addition the ports save a lot of time.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raclen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think you need to worry about feign death if you want to be afk. There is usually a safe spot to meditate. I never had a problem with going afk on my wizard between quad kiting. Don't worry about the feign death ability and you open yourself up to a lot of choices.

I think wizard would be good for you. Not that gear dependent, once you can quad kite you can go afk for a long time since you burn through a lot of mana killing 4 mobs at once, and you will be needed in raids down the road.

Leveling style alone it is a good class to be for a casual, in addition the ports save a lot of time.
I'd personally suggest druid instead of wizard if FD is not important. Druids can quad kite, but can also charm kite, root-dot, root-nuke, fear kite, and are much more useful in standard EXP groups than wizards. They can also power level for money. They are generally way less boring and one-dimensional than wizards. The only downside is that they are not very useful in raids.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

Starting from nothing, the best first character is a Druid. You need zero money for gear, you don't have to bother with spell research, you can solo, duo or group effectively up to 50, and you can make money by porting, camping rare outdoor nameds with track and PLing. There's a reason there are so many Druids on the server. It's the best new player/casual/non-raiding class by a mile.

Necro is a distant second, in my opinion. A good soloer for sure, and one that requires little gear, but the Druid is also both of those things. And the Necro can't port and requires a lot of researched spells, which is a pain for a new character.

Monk is a pretty tough choice for a first character. Not impossible by any means, but unless you're dead set on it you'd probably be happier if you picked something else.

And finally, even if you get a Druid to 34-50 and decide not to take it any further and gear up another class, you'll still have the benefit of being able to log on your Druid at any time to port people around for groups and CRs. A very nice benefit.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakengroves [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have reviewed all leading treatises and learned Project 1999 materials regarding the "choice of class" issue for new P1999 players. Sadly, I still have a few questions and concerns. I played a warrior in EQlive, but have little desire to relive the days of no soloing capability and gear dependency. My class selection concerns are as follows:

(1) I prefer to play "good" races because I enjoy exploring "good areas."

(2) I desire to play a class that can solo well. I am leaning towards monk because it was always my favored twink class on EQlive, but I am concerned that my untwinked monk will not solo very well past level 30. I've also read that starting out as a monk is difficult because it is harder to earn plat due to weight limitations. I am also concerned that I would not be up to par pulling in groups due to noobness [I MT'ed in EQlive and pulled most pre-Luclin zones, but it has been a very, very long time].

(3) My play time is limited and being able to AFK between kills is important on most days. This likely limits my class selection to Monk, Necro, and SK due to FD capability. After monk, I consider necro the second leading class for me to consider playing. Unfortunately, I never played a caster in EQlive, and it would probably be difficult for me to learn how to play a caster [I am used to pulling and tanking things, afterall]. I am also concerned that a necro, even a human, would not be able to prance through all the good zones.

...So, I find myself a bit torn between monk and necro for the reasons above. Any other options I should consider? Is the necro such a better soloer/first time character that I should consider playing one over a monk?

Your thoughts, comments, and dire assistance is greatly appreciated.
The two classes that seem to meet all your criteria, for me, are Barbarian Shaman and any race of Magician.

Assuming you are fresh to the server, a mage will be much easier leveling from 1-34, and can do so with no gear (as long as you can out-nuke your pet's DPS- it's harder now that they nerfed XP on 51% pet damage). Mages can't FD and can't keep pace soloing at 50+, but they're straightforward, easy to play, and are valued DPS at higher levels and raids.

Shamans have a rough life from 1-24. Your spells don't really push you into viability until you get Regen and Canni at 24. Pet is a huge boost at 34 as well. My current main is an Ogre Shaman and with full battle gear he's close to unstoppable for solo grinding. With my epic at 53 I can solo 3 or 4 seafury cyclopses at once- the only downtime for me on seafury island is when other people are pulling them all. Barbarians are widely considered the weakest of the shaman races but once you work your way up to regen items and a JBB it won't really matter.

My first toon was a DE necro and I almost exclusively soloed from 1-54. They have a variety of tools available and they're a lot of fun to play- but unless you're an Erudite, Human, or Gnome, you won't have the "good" areas open to you, and even then you won't be welcome in some places.

Best of luck whichever way you go!