Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:35 AM
Kobold

Default Necro or Enchanter for a solo class?

I was wondering what most people's opinion's were on solo leveling as an Enchanter vs a Necro? Most of what I've read on the forums seems to suggest that Enchanters are the best solo class because of charm, even though it is apparently not very reliable? However I always thought it was Necro's who were the best solo leveling class, also don't they get charm spells as well?

What are the main differences between the 2 classes in regards to playing as solo player, other then Enchanters get Clarity and Necros have a summonable pet?

Edit: Also quick added question, which of the classes would have an easier time with practically zero gear, or at least a very small amount?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Sarnak

I think necro is better lvl'n because of the different ways they can kill stuff. Takes some of the monotony out of the game. Enchanter is better for higher lvl camps and wanted in groups more. Necro has alot of group tools but enchanter just wins out with haste, better cc, and clarity.

It's a long road either way so I would say just play whatever will keep your attention the longest.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

Both are very powerful soloers. Enchanters do win out because they can charm anything, not just undead, which makes them more versatile in choosing camps. Both classes have a lot of useful tools for soloing: necros have snare, root, feign death, lifetaps, and lich (+mana regen at the cost of health), while enchanters have tons of mezzes, lulls, and stuns, as well as root, clarity, and slows.

EXP per hour with charming is gonna be faster than any other non-bard method, so whichever class you're playing, if you want to level as quickly as possible, charming is the way to go. From what I've heard, on Live charming was considerably harder than it is on P99, since it broke more often than here and root was also less reliable than here. So on Live, necro was maybe the faster leveler; on here, not necessarily so.

In my opinion, the enchanter beats out the necromancer in practically every way. The only thing you can really say the necromancer is much better at is lazy leveling: you can do easy stuff like root+dot or snare+fear+pet+dot which isn't as involved as charming and won't level you up as fast, but is nice if you want a more relaxed way to level.

In terms of gear, you can level both from scratch, no doubt. Charisma is definitely useful for enchanters, but you can do fine early on without having heaps of it. Enchanters can make money with jewelcrafting, even early on with silver and electrum combines, which can help you fund your own jewelry (easy +cha, +int, and +hp) as well as help you buy other gear.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Estu have some damn good advice on his post. I guess it is up to you playing style wise. I will admit Charming is the fastest way to go but it takes a shitpot full of consecration to pull it off. It gets very stressful in the long run.

A Necro is a bit more laid back, but because of that can get repetitive as hell also. A Necro gets every spell in the game high end other than SoW or Ports. And with J Boots that only leaves one.

But a Enchanter is more than welcomed in any group where a Necro it is sort of hard to get in a group. Very few people play them like they have to the potential too. I think when Velious comes out their Dots will have time to run their course and become more viable as a group member then. As of now mobs just die to quick to cast a DoT and the pet does not do enough DPS compared to a Mage pet to bother.

So now a Necro is pretty much a solo class on here and a Enchanter can be both. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But a Chanter takes a LOT of Cha gear to be good at Chamring.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Sarnak

I honestly don't know why everyone isn't an enchanter. They're the most important class in groups, they're the strongest soloing class, and they can duo/trio extremely effectively with most other classes. They don't have to worry as much as other classes about faction, they get their OT hammer for free, and they don't have a terrible exp penalty.

They have, imo, the most diverse options for how to play out of all the classes. You can charm a pet, send it into a group, root the whole group, break charm when pet is low and nuke pet, rinse and repeat with the rest of the group. You can help 2 mobs work their way through each other's hp, break charm, nuke them both. You can fear kite with a rogue pet backstabbing, particularly effective in outdoor zones with a snarer duo. You can root a really tough mob, charm it long enough to give it weapons and buff it, break charm and keep it rooted and use it to bring down the hp of other charmed mobs (when they're low hp, break charm and nuke). And there's more strategies that open up when duoing/trioing.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKvothe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I honestly don't know why everyone isn't an enchanter
because then you can't afk!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Kobold

So it sounds more like in regards to the actual classes Enchanter is the one that beats the Necro, however is much harder to play and is stressful. Where as a Necro can get the job done also, but is more relaxed and doesn't require as much concentration?

Someone mentioned in Velious that Necros may be wanted more because their DoTs are made better use of? Is that the only thing Necros have to look forward to in Velious? What about Enchanters in Velious? I will only have time to play casually, so I doubt I will hit max level before Velious is released so I suppose it is something to consider.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are the main differences between the 2 classes in regards to playing as solo player, other then Enchanters get Clarity and Necros have a summonable pet?
I've soloed an necromancer to 50 on live, and I never used charm. Fear kite is the easy solo way for an necromancer. Darkness, Fear, Pet, Dot, Repeat. Also, with feign death and screaming terror, I was able to split just about any camp I wanted to hunt at.

I've raided up to planes of power on an enchanter on live, and I never soloed. I was never good at charm kiting. I see enchanters doing it, and I'm impressed, but I could never get the damn thing to work right. It would also get super boring for boss encounters. "Oh look at me!! 1100 points of damage!! WEEEE!!!"

Enchanters get just about every utility buff in the game. By "utility" I mean things like see invis, levitate, water breathing, etc. Necromancers don't have many buffs to share, but they have a self version of all of those things. Necromancer's life exchange spells begin at level 4 with dark pact. It's not a lot, but it's nice to have mp regen at level 4.

I think enchanter solo is harder, but gives more xp. Necromancer fear kiting is pretty easy and it awards xp!

Necromancers are more fun too. Enchanters are just these prissy High Elves who obsess over how Charisma they have. Necromancers have no Cha, get to drink on Sunday. and our pets GIGGLE as they bash your head in! It's great!
Last edited by Feathers; 01-07-2015 at 04:06 PM..
Old 01-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKvothe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I honestly don't know why everyone isn't an enchanter....
Chanters can't raid alone you know. There are vital roles to fulfill:

Ranger: take the DT to make the raid official
Warrior: scream "Wait for assist dammit! Stop being bad!"
Paladin: complain about being unimportant then ghost when you hit 60
Shadowknight: be stoic so nobody mistakes you for an ugly Paladin without an epic
Druid: ask in /gu what class alt you should twink to be useful at a raid
Cleric: band together with the other Clerics to use the Warrior as the focus for your amazing stackable damage soaking ability
Shaman: be a raid buffing hero for a month or two and then ghost when you get Torpor
Necro: twitch them Clerics, then FD so you can rez a Cleric after the wipe because everybody ignored the Warrior
Mage: boast about awesome epic pet, whine about all the resists, poop modrods like you've got a bad case of the shits
Wizard: nuke shit because "OMG I am actually desired and useful here!"
Rogue: stab shit because the damned Wizards always go OOM
Bard: stand around looking sharp, giving godly resists to your group., and thinking well of yourself
Monk: somebody's gotta train the raid Buckwheat, and you're elected!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Brilliant summary, Kaev pal

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Closed Thread