Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:24 AM
Kobold

Default Necro vs Wizzy. Which brings more to a group?

So I am considering trying out either a Wizard or Necro and am a bit torn between the two. I'd like to have solo ability, but more importantly I want to group. I already know that Wizzy can quad kite for soloing and Necros can darkness/fear/pet etc. But I was wondering, what do the 2 classes bring to exp groups? Does one offer more than the other? I doubt I'll ever raid, so I am not too concerned with that.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:59 AM
Fire Giant

A Necromancer is more versatile. He can heal, twitch, lull/fd pull, mezz (undead) and charm (undead) for even more dps. His dots aren't the most effective in groups but he still has a varied arsenal to offer.

A wizard can port, evac, and do burst damage. Burst can help when you need to burn something down quick, but he can't sustain that for long.

They both can root cc and snare.

If you're wanting to mainly group and have options to solo, most would recommend Necromancer over wizard. If you want a class that can make money also, wizard can port whereas Necromancer can farm things easier.

Edit: Also, a Necromancer can play with limited to no gear almost without consequence. A poorly geared wizard will be painful in groups as well as soloing.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:15 AM
Planar Protector

Sadly, Wizards are downright awful while necromancers are amazing for groups. A necro is one of the most useful classes to add to any group, small or large. Necro healing, charm and cc are grossly underrated by many ^^
Old 11-03-2016, 06:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg816 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
mezz (undead)
Necromancer mez works for everything up to level 55, not just undeads. Downside is that its very short duration (18s).
Old 11-03-2016, 07:49 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raato [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necromancer mez works for everything up to level 55, not just undeads. Downside is that its very short duration (18s).
Ahhh, thanks. I should have proof-read that better. Necromancers are definitely better. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Planar Protector

Short answer is what everyone told you, necro is better than wizard for grouping.

My experience with necro is I get bored on them very fast. Even at low levels, they are quite strong soloing not including what they can do in a group.

Necro also has so many dimensions to their gameplay, which probably sounds contradicting to my first statement when I said I grow bored quickly on them... But, it's true. They can fear kite, they can charm undead, they can pet tank mobs, they can tank mobs themselves sometimes, they get lifetaps to heal when they need health, they basically can do a little bit of everything.

Necros are a great class and good players really can make them shine in groups with their very nice group abilities and utilities.

All that being said, I find them so strong I get bored on the class.

I actually made a wizard for the hell of it, and it's fricking hard soloing a lowbie wizard, even with decent gears on. I got him to lvl 12 so far, and it's miserable.

Just for comparison, on my necro which is 24 lvl, I have been killing yellows and even reds with the necro solo since lvl 8.

The wizard can kill a blue or white, then sits and has to med for 40-50% mana before pulling again.

My necro shreds through mobs rarely having to stop for more than a minute or two with mana regen and has much more efficient damage spells.

I want the wizard for porting, but can tell it's a much harder road to level than the necro. Until the wizard can quad, that is.

The worst thing about wizards is they have an awful reputation on this server as useless players who ninja-afk and bring little to a group, and so as a wizard you will struggle getting invites often times.

That reputation is well-deserved too, I have grouped with wizards and rarely have they shown any reason to want them. Even had one wizard that refused to root park mobs when we lacked a CC class, she said it wasted her mana and that root broke too much.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times a wizard was "medding" in a group, and was asked a question, only to answer it minutes later as if it had just been asked.

Yeah, they go afk a lot. Basically I know if I make a wizard I am going to be soloing it to 60.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Fire Giant

We had such an afk wizard once in oasis. When we realized that she is afk (without saying so) we booted her. one minute later a crypt mummy came along... we were watching it slowly killing the wizard, much to our satisfaction.

Don't know, if i would play a wizard i would do everything possible to contradict the bad rep that they have. Instead you get players like that, magically attracted to the wizard class it seems.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Instead you get players like that, magically attracted to the wizard class it seems.
Naturally they would magically be attracted to the wizard class. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

@Lhancelot the sad truth is when soloing as a wizard for the first 15 levels a strong strategy gear for melee. Even meditating mana regen absolutely sucks. You're better off stacking hp/ac, grabbing a 1:2 ratio weapon, haste and casting illusion: monk using mana only when the situation dictates. Obviously this is not the play style someone rolling a wizard is really after!

@Pyrion wizards definitely great character for baby sitters, or for playing while doing housework/cleaning. Hit your spam nuke/afk macro and go change that nappy!

@op: Let me preface this by admitting I believe wizard is probably the weakest class there is for grouping. That said, I've found the best active role to play in a group is a ghetto CC. Loads of interrupt stuns, a 5 sec stun fairly early on, T-flux staff helps to pick out and off root adds on inc or even to aggro kite as cc. Also, wizard is fairly happy to sacrifice a spell slot for cancel magic.

The thing is, for all that, an enchanter or second cleric can do the above better. e.g mez, memblur, sooth, damageless stun, heal, rune.

Druids can do most of what a wizard does, but is at the disadvantage of not having a damage-less root so unlike the wizard they can't help by rooting mezzed adds.

The necromancer is kind of a enc/cleric hybrid and does almost everything you could want a caster to do and isn't hamstringed without an enchanter.

The only groups my wizard gets invited to are in the Hole (TL's and pick ups pretty handy) or PL groups (where aoe is handy).
Old 11-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@Lhancelot the sad truth is when soloing as a wizard for the first 15 levels a strong strategy gear for melee. Even meditating mana regen absolutely sucks. You're better off stacking hp/ac, grabbing a 1:2 ratio weapon, haste and casting illusion: monk using mana only when the situation dictates. Obviously this is not the play style someone rolling a wizard is really after!

@Pyrion wizards definitely great character for baby sitters, or for playing while doing housework/cleaning. Hit your spam nuke/afk macro and go change that nappy!

@op: Let me preface this by admitting I believe wizard is probably the weakest class there is for grouping. That said, I've found the best active role to play in a group is a ghetto CC. Loads of interrupt stuns, a 5 sec stun fairly early on, T-flux staff helps to pick out and off root adds on inc or even to aggro kite as cc. Also, wizard is fairly happy to sacrifice a spell slot for cancel magic.

The thing is, for all that, an enchanter or second cleric can do the above better. e.g mez, memblur, sooth, damageless stun, heal, rune.

Druids can do most of what a wizard does, but is at the disadvantage of not having a damage-less root so unlike the wizard they can't help by rooting mezzed adds.

The necromancer is kind of a enc/cleric hybrid and does almost everything you could want a caster to do and isn't hamstringed without an enchanter.

The only groups my wizard gets invited to are in the Hole (TL's and pick ups pretty handy) or PL groups (where aoe is handy).
Yes. I actually did that, I got a smoldering brand and got every hp piece I could find. Many hp slotted items also have mana, so that worked out good too.

Even so, it's just a very inefficient class damagewise, especially as a lowbie that has a small mana pool and no true quad spells worth a crap.

I am going to play the wizard because it's challenging, and obviously I am a bit masochistic? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread