Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-02-2016, 04:51 AM
Large Rat

Thumbs up Classic UI

Yeah, I know, probably another one of these...

I basically just installed Project 1999 and it's my first time jumping back in since the release of SoL, when I played a half-elf rogue on Karana and stopped a few weeks after SoL came out. So HI everyone o/
I know this isn't a presentation thread, but since I haven't posted yet I thought I'd do a quick one. So I wanted to ask : I seem to understand the really old classic UI is gone and there wouldn't be a way to have it back ? I can't seem to understand why, cause I remember it being an option in Project 1999 not that long ago ? Could someone care to explain to me ? Also is there really *no way* as of today to play with that old UI, and I don't mean through the classic UI skin ? Via some sort of modding I don't know ? I really really miss it, and as archaic and impractical that UI was it's completely tied with my nostalgia and souvenirs of when. I'm even considering modding it in myself but I have close to no experience in that and don't know if I could get the same result as the true original classic one ('cause as good a job the classic UI skin is, it's not really up there yet enough for me and might as well play with qquimelee).
Old 10-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I seem to understand the really old classic UI is gone and there wouldn't be a way to have it back?
Pretty much. Verant wiped it from existence after Velious was released, but technically you could go find an original copy of the very first EQ release and start disassembling the game files and recreate it from that data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember it being an option in Project 1999 not that long ago ? Could someone care to explain to me ? Also is there really *no way* as of today to play with that old UI, and I don't mean through the classic UI skin ? Via some sort of modding I don't know ?
Not sure what you mean by "through the classic UI skin", but someone did basically recreate the classic UI from scratch back in 2004, which evidently doesn't account for a lot of non-classic UI components, and it may or may not work with P99. You can grab it at EQInterface: http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads...fo.php?id=2990.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, someone made a custom UI based off of the original classic UI, which isn't as ludicrously cramped as the original, but I'd say it captures the essence of it. I think this one is a lot better, and it's been tested on P99 - grab it here: http://p99.yourfirefly.com/downloads/classic1.3.zip.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 10-02-2016 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Verant wiped it from existence after Velious was released
Small correction, you were able to use the classic UI up to around Luclin (maybe past that, can't quite remember) before they permanently got rid of it. I stayed on that UI for as long as I could before they forced the change on me.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 10-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Ah yes, that's right - the Velious UI wasn't released until sometime into Velious now that I think about it.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:40 AM
Large Rat

But didn't P99 still have the classic UI has an option even well after Velious released ? I mean I'm sure I have this souvenir of trying or seeing P99 for the first time just a few years ago, in 2011 or something after a friend online told me about its existence and being on the classic UI.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

P99 has never offered any UIs for EverQuest - P99 is a server, not software. The only actual game files that the server officially provides are those in the update patches, which have only ever modified the default Titanium UI.

Every UI that people use on P99 that isn't the default Titanium UI is a player-made modification, including the classic-themed UIs. If you saw someone playing EQ on P99 with the classic UI, then it was one of the two player-made mods that I posted above.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Large Rat

Yes of course P99 is just the server; what I meant or should have said is I could have sworn that not so long ago (and by that I mean around 2k12) players choosing to play on P99 still had the choice of playing with the very first, vanilla UI that was up until Luclin if I remember correctly.

So maybe what I'm referring to is playing on a game version compilation that wasn't Platinium but something else that still incorporated that classic UI ? Isn't that possible ?

It's okay, I'll deal with it but that just really bugs me cause I'm **sure** I saw that.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
So maybe what I'm referring to is playing on a game version compilation that wasn't Platinium but something else that still incorporated that classic UI ? Isn't that possible ?
Late response, but that might've been possible at some point in P99's history - if I'm remembering correctly, some people were able to connect to P99 using the EQ Trilogy client which only offered the very original classic UI and the Velious UI, so that might've been what you saw. I'm not sure if that's even still possible to do, but if it is you would probably run into a litany of issues and it wouldn't really be worth it.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Orc

This UI will be available in 1920x1080 a day ?

Please, say "Yes, we can !" ^^