Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Translocator ideas
I support the idea of a zone wide shout indicating spawn of the translocator 27 13.99%
I'm opposed to an NPC shout, not classic, don't do it! 10 5.18%
Keep the translocators up full time, this is lame 107 55.44%
Have them up all the time but only port every 10-15 minutes. 19 9.84%
I like it the way it is, don't change. 25 12.95%
I have another idea! Post below. 5 2.59%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Planar Protector

Continuing my post as I was editing it when the power went out this morning...

This this changes:

1) encourages us to learn how to fish (gawd knows I need to train it) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

2) makes the trip more challenging for evil races - which is as it should be (you didn't think those stats/regen were free did you?).

3) quests in the area that were made when traveling was slower to now function again.

4) further increases the value of ports like druids and wizards (there will be more porters when/if this goes into effect)

Having said all that... do we have the population to help compensate for the downtime? Back in 1999 there were more people, and more porters. That had to reduce the frustration somewhat. Additionally, traveling on the boat was fun the first few times (or fun everytime if you're like me). Translocaters are not boats and shouldn't be confused with them - they're not fun in the same way.

I really don't think it's a problem though. I know people complain, but if you're making the trip that often then you should rethink your plans. I'm absolutely honest when I say that traveling from one continent to another is something I do very, very rarely (haven't done it yet). So having to wait is not a problem for me. Instead, it's an opportunity to get a fishing pole and fish while I wait. Now, if I was bound in freeport and hunting in OOT, it might get me mad. But overall, I think most of the population will rarely use the boats/translocaters. If anything, this mechanic will decrease the numbers of people that hunt in OOT or zones that're in the path of the boat/translocater. I expect casters to still go to those zones since they can bind in them without having to translocate.

And before anyone tells me I don't know what I"m talking about.... I do. I played when everyone used boats. I had to take a boat to get to get to velious. I had to take a boat to get to erud's crossing and erudin (which I did several times in my career). I took the boat from freeport to faydwer as well (even tho my corpse was lost at sea because of a boat bug). I did lots of fishing. I remember it very well.

Btw, the need for binds has already pushed me to make a druid alt. That's one more future porter at your service.
Last edited by stormlord; 11-24-2009 at 03:55 AM..
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Large Bat

I have abstained from voting, as there was not an option on there I could agree with.

I am all for the translocators being on a spawn timer, if they are sync'd. If there is a way to get the boats working again then that would be fricken awesome.

Also.... weren't there 2 boats that traversed the open waters between E FP, the Isles of the Ocean of Tears, and BB?

Wouldn't waiting 20 minutes be a little silly considering boats came every 10 minutes or less?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2) makes the trip more challenging for evil races - which is as it should be (you didn't think those stats/regen were free did you?)..
EXP penalty.

Voted: Lame

The people who want to wait at the dock for an extra 10-15min raising fishing skill are more than welcome to even when the TLs are up.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Sarnak

Since a lot of people want an option for instant transportation at docks how about a compromise.

Change the Translocator to the Boat Master who announces the time left until the next public boat arrives when hailed and allows people to [board the boat] for 100 seconds when its there maybe even script a boat that cannot be boarded arriving. It would be understood that the time it takes to zone is the boat traveling. Nearby have another NPC that offers private boats for a price possibly based on time until next public boat.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Kobold

I wouldn't mind the wait. But, the primary issue is the DOUBLE wait. If you're going to make us wait, which is fine, don't make us wait AGAIN on sister island. Sister island translocater should ALWAYS be up.

That's the only change I'd make. Sister Island translocater up all the time. I sort of like it otherwise. But, the double wait does not mimic classic in any way and kills over an hour if you're going there and back on an errand.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarniwooop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't mind the wait. But, the primary issue is the DOUBLE wait. If you're going to make us wait, which is fine, don't make us wait AGAIN on sister island. Sister island translocater should ALWAYS be up.

That's the only change I'd make. Sister Island translocater up all the time. I sort of like it otherwise. But, the double wait does not mimic classic in any way and kills over an hour if you're going there and back on an errand.
I agree at least put this TL on a delay. You should not have to do a double wait.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Getting rid of the doublewait by having the translocator in OOT permanent actually sounds like a good compromise.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Aviak

I think the translocators are perfect the way they are implemented now. I agree that it is a "timesink", but one of the results is that it increases the value of teleports. (For the record, I play an enchanter. I still think it's a good idea.)

I wouldn't change it. I don't agree with pointless timesinks, but given the teleportation implications, it doesn't seem pointless to me.

Lastly, there is an argument about server population. There aren't enough druids and wizards porting to even buy a port if you need one. It's true right now:

/ all druid 29 50

returns like 8 results. Yes maybe some are ANON.

/ all druid 1 29

results cut short because there are many more of them.

I think when a large number of our server's druids get up into the 30s, then finding a port won't be a huge issue. We'll see.
Last edited by Ruien; 11-24-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree at least put this TL on a delay. You should not have to do a double wait.
In this case, both ends of a TL would be upped to 30 minutes. So BB and FP would be long & no wait in OOT but I would change the translocators to not work while in combat, TINSTAFL. vs now, 23 minute max, the-time-it-takes-you-to-zone minimum. Overall, this change would result in longer delays overtime.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In this case, both ends of a TL would be upped to 30 minutes. So BB and FP would be long & no wait in OOT but I would change the translocators to not work while in combat, TINSTAFL. vs now, 23 minute max, the-time-it-takes-you-to-zone minimum. Overall, this change would result in longer delays overtime.
I posted more in-length on the regular forum, but it is now going to be a total pain in the ass getting any replacements/groups started in the MM/Unrest areas. Everyone hangs out in FP or nearby. I had at least 3+ people decline group offers in MM last night on the sole basis that travel now takes too long.
Closed Thread